Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-28-2001, 05:35 PM   #61
Agburanar
Elf Lord

The effects were good, the costumes were alright, Bilbo was very well cast and Gandalf, Legolas and Aragorn were alright, not my idea of how they looked though, the main problem was the script. What was all that rubbish in Moria with the collapsing staircase? It ruined the sequence for me.

On the other hand Sauron was amazing!!! Great for battles, pants storyline.
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 06:14 PM   #62
Thrain of the Shire
Hobbit

Strider As guardian of hobbit reputation...

As Thrain, I enjoyed the film as an entertainment. And so far it is the best LOTR I have seen...

However, there is one thing that I really had concerns about and that is the representation of hobbits in the film.

Now, I know that specifics are always good, so where I can (after a rapid re-reading of FOTR) I will be specific...

My concern is that the hobbits in the book are brave, quick, stealthy, intelligent, fighting and, yes, funloving.

In the film, certain scenes and editing could make them look like stupid, immature, prankster idiots who need big brave men to protect them as, left to their own devices they would be incapable of doing anything.

Specifics?

1. Merry and Pippin do NOT set off fireworks prematurely. While I agree that they need to be established as cheerful and full of fun, this prank could make people see them as big kids who cannot be trusted
2. By leaving out the whole initial trek out of the Shire, we are not given a chance to see for ourselves how well the hobbits cope with the travel etc and their skill at hiding and moving quietly.
3. Merry and Pippin are not accidentally met in a cornfield while stealing crops (more irresponsibility) but are long time friends who accompany Frodo even when, as he later finds out, they know of the ring and the risks of the journey -- ie they make a brave choice to support a friend and don't let him go alone, they are not incidental company
4. Pippin does NOT reveal that Frodo is a Baggins in the Prancing Pony...in the book he is telling a story that might give clues..
5. Frodo does not trust Aragorn on instinct or a whim or because he has no other choice -- he has a letter from Gandalf with clues in and Aragorn passes the test...Frodo is smarter than he looks...
6. And here's the big one -- the hobbits do NOT (sorry for shouting but this is sooo annoying) light a fire on Amon Sul!!! They are NOT that stupid anywhere in the books. In fact, Aragorn thinks that he was not careful enough in his epxlorations. Having the hobbits light a fire and cook a breakfast really could give the wrong impression.
7. In the subsequent fight with Nazgul, Frodo actually gets his injury while lunging bravely at one of them -- and actually makes contact. In the film he is cowering behind his friends.
8. At Rivendell, Merry and Pippin resist Elrond's efforts to send them home and insist on accompanying Frodo (this brave decision does not really come across in the film)
9. It is Bromir, NOT Pippin who tosses a stone into the water outside the door to Moria, waking the watcher. Again, Pippin is made to look careless annot too clever...
10. Merry and Pippin do NOT stand by and watch Boromir get killed while watching and doing nothing and then running full tilt into the orc army....again, this risks giving an impression of the hobbits as not being the fighters and brave souls they are.

Sorry for the length of the post, but as the Thrain I feel it is my responsibility to make these things clear so that Hobbits everywhere can hold their heads high and be proud.
Thrain of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote