Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2003, 04:04 AM   #41
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Huan
Jerseydevil, re: the welfare stuff: I guess our respective party sympathies are showing .
Well I'm morte Libertarian - I think that government should be smaller.

Quote:

I'm a little confused about the link you're making between the awful awful drek that passes for prime-time tv these days and the nation's litigiousness and insurance crisis.
It's all related - people expect things for nothing anymore. Look at Joe Millionaire - I refuse to watch it - but FOX has this guy who make $19,000 a year pretending to be a multi-millionaire living in a castle - then they have all these woman trying to win his love. Why do they want him? Because he has money. The concept of the show is completely disgusting - and is the same attitude that has developed into the "professional litigator". If you get into a car accident and sue everyone from the driver to the manufacturer of the seat cover - hey you might get lucky - hit it big and not have to worry about anything. Well you'll have to worry about all those "friends" you never knew you had all of a suddenm coming around
Quote:

And as for my mom, yeah, she does need to cut her expenses, as do I, but this is a hard thing to jump into when you're accustomed to another lifestyle. But again, I know millions of people around the world would kill to have problems like having to buy less beer every week.
It takes some juggling - I know this personally. It's much easier to live poorly and to have never had money - than to have money and then try living poorly. I know this from personal experience too.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:21 AM   #42
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
there are certain things that recipients MUST do. They MUST actively look for a job or go to school.
Yep it is the same in the UK......if your fit and healthy but unemployed you get reasonable (as I posted earlier) welfare but you must be actively seeking employment, no one gets to rest of the laurels and sponge off the government for life

When you do find employment you recieve £1000 and any help you were recieving for rent/mortgage etc continues for 10 weeks .... sort of a nice way to help a person get started (and very handy if you need to wait until the end of the month to get your first paycheck).........if you are a working single parent then the government also pays towards childcare.

All this "let's sue the arse offa so-an-so" sounds very dicey...and I can see how both directly affects insurance and standard of living.......we aren't quite that bad in the UK, yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:32 AM   #43
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

And such workfare programs are not always well-run. Watch Bowling for Columbine it's practically your civic duty to watch a little Michael Moore once in a while

And the end of it is priceless.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:26 PM   #44
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Very good movie. There's also a whole movie based on poverty in Flint called Roger and Me -- his first movie.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:13 PM   #45
Huan
Elven Warrior

There was no way Bowling For Columbine was coming to a theater within 1000 miles of my town, but it's so on my list the second it comes out for rental. Jerseydevil, I definitely get what you meant. I hadn't made that connection before. The saddest thing about the litigious society to me is that Americans become so profit-minded that many genuinely, innocently believe lawsuits to be a form of justice. Suing over murders or something that happened on Sept. 11, I don't remember what they found to sue over on that one, but I remember some victims' families suing somebody over something. People are now able to place a dollar-amount on the life of a loved one, and they don't even realize they're being crass. (Yes, I realize some of them really are that crass.)
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 05:25 PM   #46
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Litigation is a form of justice. That some abuse it doesn't make it unneccessary. Civil suits and class action suits are the only ways to correct some forms of injustice. As far as malpractice, I read, (true or otherwise) that the majority of the suits are against a very small minority of practitioners. At the same time all insurees must bear the brunt on higher premiums since there is no penalty payments for the most litigated insurees.

Closer to topic:

I've only been outside the US once (Canada excluded) and that was in Russia c. 1996. I was not a pretty picture. The worst of west and east in one. It was nice to get home to elevators and washing machines, but I could help think how soft we are in comparison, as far as the difficulty of daily life.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 05:49 PM   #47
Yapaluna
Enting

There are some things that really make me angry. Since the so called "Communist block" has disappeared, capitalism seems to be totally out of control.

The state is retiring from all its duties. I do not want to have a real wellfare state but if it is going to regulate nothing at all, then why keep a state or a government or something like that?

You have to be flexible, raise children, build a house, work for at least 12 hours a day, never get sick, be engaged in some honorary duties, post at entmoot, pay for this, pay for that, always be friendly, have no stress, make a tax-declaration, read the papers AAAAAHHHHHHHH.

How about creating a smilies that looks like going nuts?
Yapaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:36 PM   #48
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Do you see Israel as a 'western' country? (be nice, even if you don't)
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:58 PM   #49
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
Do you see Israel as a 'western' country? (be nice, even if you don't)
I would consider Israel a western country. It's just stuck in that part of the middle of the Arab world.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 05:02 PM   #50
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Since jewish immigrants from western countrys make up the majority in israel, I would say that yeah it's a western country.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:22 PM   #51
Cirdan

except many were from Russia, Turkey, etc. Geographically and historically the area is eastern, but socio-politically it is western-ized.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 02-03-2003, 06:26 PM   #52
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

ya know if ya think about it the west could be anywhere. if you look west from:

Europe-see north america
North america-see asia
Asia-see europe
ect.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:00 PM   #53
Cirdan

There is a subtle difference between west and The West. The old demarcations are along the lines of the Roman Empires with respect to Europe. Later it was between Christendom and The Oriental and Muslim world, then later Democracy and Communism. Sometimes all three aspects are present, such as the transition from Roman Catholic/Protestant, Democratic, capitalist Hungary to Orthodox, former Turkish subject, former communist state Romania. The difference is social, religious, political, and economic.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary