Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-02-2004, 05:45 AM   #41
Millane
The Dude

what character would you be in Westeros if you could be anyone?
i chose Rhaegar (the others said Robert, Jaime and Tyrion)
Quote:
And the best one last:
Jora Mormont: "Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
ahh i believe Jorah forgot to add in RHAEGAR ROCKS
ooooh theres so many good parts in it, but because ive got Greatjon on my mind it will have to be the part were Rickard Karstark says something like "didnt your father teach you anything of war, boy" to Robb, the Greatjon just says "Boy?" and beats Rickard down with a mailed fist, WOOOOO! UP WITH GREATJON!!!! also "telling the Greatjon not to drink was like telling him not to breathe for a few hours" classy
i still want to read more about Rhaegar and Neds Sister (whos name has slipped my mind), it just doesnt seem very Rhaegar like to rape her
Old 04-02-2004, 02:52 PM   #42
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

The L+R=Jseems to be one of the most overhyped theories in Westeros, IMO. The hints I've seen so far do indeed point in that direction but it's Martin we're talking about here! Unpredictable is his middle-name. Oh, and I think Lyanna was in love with Rhaegar but I'm not sure (at least he loved her)...
Quote:
Another thing we can do while waiting for AFFC is name favorites! Mine would be either Jon Snow or Daenerys Targaryen. (Stormborn, Unburnt, Mother of Dragons, etc., etc.)
Jon, Davos, Tyrion, Sansa and Jaime are my favorite view-points (used to be Eddard and Arya as well but Arya's been a bit psychopathic lately and Eddard..you know...), though my favorite characters are perhaps Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning and Rhaegar...
Old 04-02-2004, 09:57 PM   #43
Vilya
Hobbit

I would be Arya, I'm a tomboy anyway and she's got guts. I also loved Rob Stark and Jon Snow.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:35 PM   #44
Arcala
Elven Warrior

I thought it was rather interesting watching Jaime progress from "Why should I care" attitude to "Maybe I'll do something" attitude. Cersei drives me nuts though.
Stay in bed, float up stream (float up stream)

Please, don't wake me, no, don't shake me
Leave me where I am - I'm only sleeping

Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need (there's no need)

Please, don't spoil my day, I'm miles away
And after all I'm only sleeping..."

-from the Beatles' I'm Only Sleeping
Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:27 PM   #45
Vilya
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Arcala
I thought it was rather interesting watching Jaime progress from "Why should I care" attitude to "Maybe I'll do something" attitude. Cersei drives me nuts though.
I agree, I was surprised that Jaime evolved so much. Certsei on the other hand makes me want to slap her silly, but I feel really bad for poor Tyrion. Just goes to show that appearances are decieving, and that some people aren't worth trying to please. (His father for instance).
Old 04-08-2004, 09:42 PM   #46
Jabberwock
Enting

Martin's series is great so far. I really hope he doesn't screw it up like Jordan did. I hear its going 7 books now. Martin's strengths are his characters and his ability to keep the reader guessing. I love how he can just kill off or hideously maim a character you thought was a keeper. You can never get comfortable reading his books and that discomfort is the kind that feels great and drives you on to read more. I like the John Snow and Arya sections most. I have to agree with a few others on this thread that Tad William's Memory Sorrow and Thorn was a better read, but that is because none of us have finished Martin's books yet. The two stories are quite different though. I read somewhere (pardon me if I missed someone else mentioning this) that Martin said that Williams inspired him to write Song of Ice and Fire after reading Memory Sorrow and Thorn. He said something about Williams showing him that the fantasy epic hadn't actually died as he had thought based on the mass of fantasy being produced today.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 06:37 PM   #47
Vilya
Hobbit

Well, I guess tomorrow I am going to have to go and buy Memory Sorrow and Thorn, too many of you really loved it for me not to give it a read.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:12 AM   #48
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jabberwock
I read somewhere (pardon me if I missed someone else mentioning this) that Martin said that Williams inspired him to write Song of Ice and Fire after reading Memory Sorrow and Thorn. He said something about Williams showing him that the fantasy epic hadn't actually died as he had thought based on the mass of fantasy being produced today.
That is true, the comet in A Clash of Kings is a dedication to the Conqueror Star in Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. And in A Storm of Swords there are two brothers named Josua and Elias, Josua and Elias are the name of the two princes at war in M,S,&T.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:20 AM   #49
Jabberwock
Enting

huh...

I hadn't really noticed those. That's cool though. I was referring to an interview with Martin that I read on Amazon where he specifically stated he owed a debt to Williams. I think it's great when writers give little nods to other writers.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:53 PM   #50
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Just thought I'd make a note that I'm reading the series... I'm on the second book now. Good so far. It has that political shenanigans that I so loved about Dune.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:13 AM   #51
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Just thought I'd make a note that I'm reading the series... I'm on the second book now. Good so far. It has that political shenanigans that I so loved about Dune.
haha so youve read enough to make some character judgements, who's your favorite?, i love talking about peoples favorite characters as they are reading because there is a high probability that they are going to die (
like staunch Eddard
)
anyway if you are into the political side of stories i think you will end up liking characters like Tyrion and Varys (deviant **** )
anyway happy to see another mooter has embraced the literary demi-gods, now we wait for the rest
Old 05-03-2004, 12:44 AM   #52
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Funnily enough, my favourite character so far IS Tyrion. Scheming little bastard. I also suspect that Jon Snow isn't Eddard Stark's bastard - I think maybe he is Rhaegar's son. Eddard seems too honourable to father a bastard, and he made some sort of promise to his sister. I think they're somehow connected.

Okay, now tell me how wrong I am.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:27 AM   #53
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Funnily enough, my favourite character so far IS Tyrion. Scheming little bastard. I also suspect that Jon Snow isn't Eddard Stark's bastard - I think maybe he is Rhaegar's son. Eddard seems too honourable to father a bastard, and he made some sort of promise to his sister. I think they're somehow connected.

Okay, now tell me how wrong I am.
wrong...
i sort of wish Jon was Rhaegars son because that would mean Martin could incorporate Rhaegar into the story a lot, but no Jon must be Eddards son i think it will somehow become vital to the house of Stark...
on another not i was just thinking about the incredibly cool Greatjon (BoP better not read this because it will spoil probably one of the biggest moments in the series )
i was just talking to a friend who had just been reading the Red Wedding and we were talking about Greatjons role in the next books. i think that he is very likely to have some sort of role because if Martin has no more use for him then he would have killed him off, what could be a better ending for the Greatjon than to die alongside his king as his most loyal supporter, so now im really interested to see what he does, the north is in a pretty ****ed situation so could Greatjon be the one to continue in Robbs stead... now saying that it will just be like Martin to have him killed off in some uneventful way like being killed by a warden or something

Ohhh BoP do you like Sandor and Jaime at the moment? (sorry not sure where your up to)

Last edited by Millane : 05-03-2004 at 01:38 AM.
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 02:50 AM   #54
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
wrong...
Ohhh BoP do you like Sandor and Jaime at the moment? (sorry not sure where your up to)

Aaaahhh!! Quoting lets you see the spoilers!! *covers eyes*

Really? So, you later find out that Jon is definitely the son of Ned? Cos, you know, I'm absolutely dying to find out what he promised to Lyanna.... Seems to me that Ned taking a mistress goes completely against the grain as well. Hmmm... *is torn between not wanting to read spoilers, and searching for theories on Rhaegar being the father of Jon*.....

I'm not sure what I think of the Hound at the moment. Part of me is sympathetic to him, because of what his brother did to him. And part of me dislikes him for being a Joffrey minion. However, he treats Sansa gentley, so I think he's probably got a bigger story to play. As for Jaime, well, I haven't really read too much about him.

A question: Bran is prophesied to die according to the green dream: does this mean that he loses his broken body, and somehow becomes a warg? As in wolf-form? Okay, maybe you'd better not tell me that one... I'll just finish reading the book.

Btw: I don't believe you about me being wrong about Jon's heritage. *is probably setting herself up for a big fall, but oh well.....*
Old 05-03-2004, 03:03 AM   #55
BeardofPants
the Shrike

^BoP has now read the whole thread, and realised that there are several mentions of the (questionable) parentage of Jon. BoP feels like a dopey moron. BoP will now go read the book some more
Old 05-03-2004, 04:36 AM   #56
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Aaaahhh!! Quoting lets you see the spoilers!! *covers eyes*
sorry hahaha im prone to spoiling parts of Game, one of my friends brothers and i get really into talking about it, and we forget that he (my friend) is in the process of reading them we've spoilt quite a lot of the books, i was the unfortunate one to spoil Eddards death and numerous other bad things that you wont have read but his brother spoilt stuff about the Hound and Tyrion, his two favorite characters, so it was him that took the beating
Quote:
Really? So, you later find out that Jon is definitely the son of Ned? Cos, you know, I'm absolutely dying to find out what he promised to Lyanna.... Seems to me that Ned taking a mistress goes completely against the grain as well. Hmmm... *is torn between not wanting to read spoilers, and searching for theories on Rhaegar being the father of Jon*.....
i never actually doubted that Jon was the son of Eddard, but thinking about it i guess someone else (Rhaegar is probably the best guess) could be his father, it would certainly tie up a few loose ends concerning Rhaegar and his alleged raping of Lyanna, wow it actually sounds like it could happen. knowing Robert would try and kill their son, Eddard claimed him as his own bastard, and it would mean Jon could still have the Stark look about him. the only real "evidence" of him being Neds son is something about his mother later on and it wasnt that great...
Quote:
I'm not sure what I think of the Hound at the moment. Part of me is sympathetic to him, because of what his brother did to him. And part of me dislikes him for being a Joffrey minion. However, he treats Sansa gentley, so I think he's probably got a bigger story to play. As for Jaime, well, I haven't really read too much about him.
hahaha i was just wondering because everyone starts off not thinking that much of the Hound and then somewhere in the 2nd and 3rd book he becomes awesome, as long as you like him more than that monstrosity of a brother (hahaha Red Viper ). Jaime also starts out being a character most people dislike but once he gets his chapters and he starts coming into the story he gets a bit better (tyrion will always be the best lannister though )
Quote:
^BoP has now read the whole thread, and realised that there are several mentions of the (questionable) parentage of Jon. BoP feels like a dopey moron. BoP will now go read the book some more
haahhahahaha fine you can disown your theory and i will claim it i still think there is enough doubt for something else to happen with Jons background, it hasnt been explained in any great way... and i would just love to read more Rhaegar

Last edited by Millane : 05-03-2004 at 04:38 AM.
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:55 AM   #57
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Ah shaddap Millicent. *thwaks him over the head*

I found this on theories on Jon's parentage. Seems like I might've been onto something there with Lyanna and Rhaegar. (Now who's the dope?) What started me wondering about Jon's heritage was actually that line he said to Cat about Jon being of his blood, and not being his heir/son. And then I remembered that Lyanna had made him promise something, and yeah, things just started clicking. Of course, if GRR Martin is as 'twisty' as you say, then it may well be one huge red herring. Err.... okay, I really am going back to read the book now.... No more internet research. (haven't managed to spoil any plot lines so far, but if I keep looking, I'm sure I will! )
Old 05-03-2004, 08:31 AM   #58
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Ah shaddap Millicent. *thwaks him over the head*

I found this on theories on Jon's parentage. Seems like I might've been onto something there with Lyanna and Rhaegar. (Now who's the dope?) What started me wondering about Jon's heritage was actually that line he said to Cat about Jon being of his blood, and not being his heir/son. And then I remembered that Lyanna had made him promise something, and yeah, things just started clicking. Of course, if GRR Martin is as 'twisty' as you say, then it may well be one huge red herring. Err.... okay, I really am going back to read the book now.... No more internet research. (haven't managed to spoil any plot lines so far, but if I keep looking, I'm sure I will! )
oooh so now it comes out, your original idea is actually just ripped straight from a google search, yeah real smart BoP (just ****ing with you)
well in the words of Budds boss "youve just ****ing convinced me"
hahah and if i keep talking im bound to spoil more of the story for you aswell
Old 05-03-2004, 10:11 AM   #59
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Don't worry, I'll take the spoiling from here.

How far have you come now, BoP? (just to know what to discuss and what not to )
Old 05-03-2004, 11:10 PM   #60
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm now up to ASoS: Part I. Will kindly expect you two to NOT spoil any surprises, or your pants will get it. Seriously, please use those wonderful lil' spoiler tags if yer gonna be meanies and laugh at some of my theories.