Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-31-2002, 01:16 AM   #21
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I liked the coneys/taters scene see with Sam and Gollum.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 03:36 AM   #22
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I like when we first see Gollum (exciting for the first time). I liked the scenes with Sam, Frodo and Gollum the best (gasp!). Gollum is very real and I love Sam and Frodo's friendship (except when Frodo trys to hurt Sam). I also liked the part when Aragorn takes the sword from that little Rohirrim boy and when Arwen is greiving over a dead Aragorn (very touching).
Old 12-31-2002, 12:04 PM   #23
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Arwen Undomiel

My fav seen was probably the orc killing contest that Legolas and Gimli had going on. I was hoping that that would be in the movie. I also lilked the ents. I think they where done really well. But all in all I liked the movie alot.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 12:28 PM   #24
Sween
im quite stupid

My fav scean is when you see the white rider on the dawn of the 5th day and aragorns eyes then all the riders start to pile down and the course of the battle changed also loved aragorn and gimli in frount of the gate because it shows the power of the two of them well.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:30 PM   #25
obscenename
Hobbit

<B>"Yes, funny how someone can bitch about the changes and then suggest a much larger one."</B>

As long as sacrifices have to be made to fit time constraints, why not make one more? I was trying to defend TT not so much as ranting yet again on FOTR. Neither film was true to the books. If I suspend belief for both movies and simply watch them for entertainment, I enjoy Two Towers more. FOTR had too many things wrong with it as a movie, in my opinion.
obscenename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 01:43 PM   #26
middleEarthStar
Sapling

GANDLAF AND THE RIDERS!

My favourite scean was when Aragorn and the king ride out from helms deep and Gandalf comes with the riders!!!!!!!!!!!
It was soooo powerful!!!!!!

Many other sceans was best too!
Sam and Frodo with Gollum!
When Smeagol makes Gollum go away...

Pip and merry with the ent!

And one scean that touch my heart was in the end when Frodo and Sam was in Gondor and sam have just saved frodo from the flying Nazgûl and Frodo draw sting against Sam!!
That was so sad.... "dont you know youre own sam?"
OHH
and when Frodo gets of him and drops sting and says:
"I cant do this sam."

my god.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:25 PM   #27
azalea
Long lost mooter

Re: GANDLAF AND THE RIDERS!

Quote:
Originally posted by middleEarthStar
... sam have just saved frodo from the flying Nazgûl and Frodo draw sting against Sam!!
That was so sad.... "dont you know youre own sam?"
OHH
and when Frodo gets of him and drops sting and says:
"I cant do this sam."
That was definately my favorite "Sam and Frodo" scene!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 03:39 PM   #28
Yazad
Enting

favorite scenes

My two favorites were the opening two minutes with Gandalf and the Balrog. I like the way they kinda split time by showing the unbroken scene and then following Gandalf instead of the Company. Well done. Still, it was kinda silly that Gandalf could fall faster than Glamdring, but I guess it's magic, eh? I loved that scene until just before Gandalf threw down the balrog only to have him splat like bug on the mountain. What happened to "I threw down my enemy, and his fall broke the mountainside where he smote it in his ruin."?

My second favorite scene was (visually - plot wise it couldn't have been stupider) seeing Osgiliath with the flying Nazgul. A very cool image.

Yazad
Yazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 03:46 PM   #29
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Well, you can affect your speed of falling somewhat depending on how aerodynamic you make yourself - notice Gandalf points downwards as he speeds up. It's perfectly practical, and skydivers do this sort of thing all the time.

Of course, how Gandalf knew this is another matter

As usual, clothes seem to inherit their master's abilities though - Gandalf was covered by the Balrog's flames but his clothes remained unsinged

Must admit, the Balrog's fall was a bit anti-climactic (compared to the book anyway - I enjoyed the film bit for what it's worth) - as far as I recall the battle and ensuing defeat of the Balrog does as you say, and destroys the tower itself.

Still, can't complain really - it was so well done I still shiver at the thought of it.

All in all, the Balrog scenes for me are the best parts of both films.
The Balrog is simply stunning, and PJ, for all his faults, handles these scenes brilliantly IMO.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:56 PM   #30
Yazad
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
Well, you can affect your speed of falling somewhat depending on how aerodynamic you make yourself - notice Gandalf points downwards as he speeds up. It's perfectly practical, and skydivers do this sort of thing all the time.
Of course, of course, but no person in history, Istari or no Istari, is going to be more aerodynamic than a sword. What the blade fell 5 seconds before Gandalf did? That means Glamdring had already fallen already 100 meters (and increasing in speed) by the time Gandalf dropped.

But I can accept it as magic or whatever. It's a movie after all.

It would have been nice to have them explain how they got back up the mountain, though. And I sorely missed "far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not, they're older than he." And it woulda been neat to see how WETA dealt with "A thing of slime". They did a good job, I thought, with the fire and shadow.

Oh well.

Yazad
Yazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 04:01 PM   #31
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Just because a shape seems aerodynamic doesn't necessarily mean it is.
A sword is, when pointed down, going to be a bugger to catch up with.
A sword flat on, has a lot more wind-resistance.
Of course, exactly how long it takes to catch up has got a bit of 'poetic license' about it in this scene, but it's hardly the biggest cock-up PJ has made

Plus track 1 of the soundtrack is the best - probably cos I loved the scene the most, but I don't care about the reason!
Old 12-31-2002, 04:03 PM   #32
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I love that quote too, Yazad. I seems that PJ felt the need to limit middle earth in that respect. He traced everything back to Sauron or Saruman, leaving no tantalizing hint of things that are older and deeper.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 04:08 PM   #33
Lady of Rivendell
Hobbit

=-) I forgot about coneys/tater scene with Gollum and Sam...I really laughed at that one too!

"No," said Faramir, looking into her face. " It was but a picture in the mind. I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Eowyn, Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!" And he stooped and kissed her brow.
Lady of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 04:17 PM   #34
Taulëasawen
Sapling

Gollum

I likes the argument between Sam and Gollum/Smeagol and when Gollum/Smeagol sings that song....
Taulëasawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:11 AM   #35
Gorhiriel
Elven Warrior

When Haldir turned up, I thought: COOL!! cause Haldir rocks. but when he died, I was like WHAT THE!?!?!?!?!

I liked the bit with the Riders: You would die before your stroke fell!

BOROMIR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"And anon shall I Sail into the West: with the setting sun I shall remove my light from this world..."
Gorhiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 01:53 PM   #36
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

I love Sam's whole little encouraging speech he gives after Frodo says " I can't do this Sam." And I love the whole Gollum and Smeagol go away and never come back scene.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:10 PM   #37
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i like it when gimli says he cant se and legolas asks him if he should describe it to him or get a box. also i like it when they are trying to see who can kill more orcs.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:28 PM   #38
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

The Balrog scenes in each movie are far and away the best for me. But, of course, I've always been fascinated by all things Balrog.

In Fotr, from the point where Gandalf turns to face the wall of flames and the Balrog jumps into the screen---to where Gandalf falls from the bridge.

In TTT, the whole opening scene where you see the tail end of the bridge scene and then the battle to the bottom.

My criteria is that those two scenes are the times when I cannot turn away from the screen/TV for anything. Other times, I can look away if I have to, though I don't like it.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:08 PM   #39
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Legolas sliding down the stairs on the shield!! j/k

I like almost every scene with Gollum, Balrog intro was awesome, and at Helm's Deep just when it starts to rain.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:10 PM   #40
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Frodo laying there fondling/stroking the ring while Gollum says "So bright, So beautiful (something , something) the Precious" (anyone know exactly what he says there?)