Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-27-2005, 01:58 AM   #21
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I've always thouht Feng Shui was a crock .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:05 AM   #22
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Frankly, so have I , but it would STILL be interesting to find out what the feng shui people say about what direction one's head is best facing for a proper night's sleep, and stuff like that.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #23
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Frankly, so have I , but it would STILL be interesting to find out what the feng shui people say about what direction one's head is best facing for a proper night's sleep, and stuff like that.

Feng Shui has always reminded me of dogs......why is it the go around in tight small circle around and around and when they get just the right "instinctual" direction they lie down....

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:58 PM   #24
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

hmmm what's my bedroom like...well let's see... not much really

kinda small...consists of a quessn size bed (no head or foot boards) a dresser. another dresser with a mirror on it and a night stand...all in all kit's WAY to small for 2 people plus I wish it were a different color! blue doest' really suit my tastes...I'm more of a red person...but alas...I must settle for it right now...
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:16 AM   #25
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Nice bump Lotesse. I don't know what Feng Shui says about what direction you should face, but it had better be north or south - there's no way I could turn the bed in an east-west direction in this room.

This thread is awesome, nice one Rûdhaglarien.

My bedroom... it has pale yellow walls, and a white ceiling. The ceiling panels are held in place with half-inch thick boards. They're spaced about a foot apart, and make quite a nice effect. I have a wall to wall light grey carpet.
The important thing to know about this room is there are no perfectly right angles or straight lines. It's a room in the ground level suite of an 80-year-old house, and it has been through a number of renovations.

The room has base-board heating and it's quite pleasant. I have an open closet, a hand-me-down dark brown dresser, new shelves from Ikea I put together mostly full of books, and classical guitar and music stand, and a computer desk.

My desk is always covered with projects, dishes, and random handy objects. My floor is currently strewn with my insect damage collection, and my framed black belt certificate, which I've really been meaning to put up. Maybe I'll do that right now, then finish my damage collection. Then, my floor will be much much neater (but I still keep a lot of things on the floor. I just don't have enough shelves/drawers).

How many of you have your computer in your room?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:56 AM   #26
katya
Elven Maiden

As far as I remember, the best way to sleep it with your head to the north and feet to the south. It`s supposed to improve dreams? But I don`t really know anything about feng shui. Just that it sounds really complicated.

I had a computer in my room at home. It was nice. I could go on Entmoot all the time without my little brother saying "What IS that website anyway? You`re always on it. I don`t like the colours."

My bedroom here (thought I`m moving to a new house on Friday) is a traditional Japanese bedroom. There`s a futon bed thing, but it`s not on the floor; it`s off the floor and there are drawers under it. But it is still hard like a regular futon and that took some getting used to. There`s a rack right out there for my clothes (not in a closet or anything) which are hanging on it, a stack of drawers, a desk and chair, and a small couch. The couch thing has wood handles, and a really thin cushion, so that I hardly sit on it. The floors are tatami mats. The walls are a sage colour. The window slides open, and has a paper "curtain" thing on it that it held in place by waffle patterm wood. The light it in the middle of the ceiling and the string that you use to turn it on and off hangs down really low to that I run into it all the time.

And, as hasn`t changed since my last post in this thread, it is a total mess. There`s clothes, books, papers, plastic bags from department stores, candy wrappers, CDs, tissues (I have a cold), some kendo stuff, and my school uniform scattered all over the place.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:47 AM   #27
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Wow, this is a cool thread. I haven't read all the posts yet (yeah I know it's two short pages but it's also 2:30 am), but I'll reply anyway. You can really get a feel for a person from their bedroom.

Mine is simple, probably too boring to explain. Many odd touches, like a crappy blue card table, holes in the walls (one of which has a guitar string half-way in it), glow-in-the-dark stars all over the ceiling, walls, and even blinds (two windows), a funky furniture set from the 60s, including a rectangular slab with three drawers underneath and a twin matress on top, bright green old carpet, immitation silly putty dried to the wall above my desk, and it kind of looked like a face the way it dried so I took a pen and drew in more detailed features, milk crate full of LEGOS (not very practical). Lots and lots of details like that are what make it my own, but the holes and Gak were originally my brother's fault. The only real decorations I have are barely noticable: an Obi Wan snap on bracelet on my ceiling fan, a carved horse on the closet door jamb, an Austrian hat and an emu marionette hanging from my curtains, a 3-D puzzle in the corner, and a Rodin's Thinker statue on the table. I bet most prison cells are in better condition.

EDIT: I think I'll take some pics; I just found my brother's digital camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound
Feng Shui has always reminded me of dogs......why is it the go around in tight small circle around and around and when they get just the right "instinctual" direction they lie down....
I wonder if what we do, toss and turn at night, is somehow related.

Katya, that would be my dream room!

Last edited by Bombadillo : 11-28-2005 at 03:52 AM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:08 AM   #28
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Nice thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
As far as I remember, the best way to sleep it with your head to the north and feet to the south.
Wow, then my bed is just in the right direction! (Totally by accident, not intentionally feng-shui-placed...)

And what is my room like anyway? Hmm, it's upstairs, and quite big. There's a big window facing eastward, with blue-green-yellow curtains; plain white walls with some decoration - some Andy Warhol reprints, a painting (bunch of flowers) of a family friend, a calendar, a tiny corkboard to pin things up, and... well, that's all.
I have a wall-to-wall carpet - difficult to clean ... A desk with lotsa stuff piled upon it; three bookshelves, reaching up to the ceiling and yet scarcely enough for my books; a messy wardrobe; and two aquariums for my turtles. Oh, and an armchair. And another bed, which is seldom used - mostly when my cousin sleeps at us.

And, of course, most of the time it's messy. My bags, and papers, and plastic bags from supermarkets scattered all over the floor, not to mention the books EVERYwhere...

Last edited by littleadanel : 11-28-2005 at 05:09 AM.
littleadanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:24 AM   #29
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
The window slides open, and has a paper "curtain" thing on it that it held in place by waffle patterm wood.
Is that a shoji? Your room sounds really neat Katya. I hope you're having a great exchange!

Bombadillo, you inspired me to take pictures of my room. Of course, doing so reminded me what a dump it is in here, but nevertheless...

View towards my door

View from my door (that door you see is just a storage closet)
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 11-28-2005, 07:49 AM   #30
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Is that a shoji? Your room sounds really neat Katya. I hope you're having a great exchange!

Thank you, I am! And it is a shoji. I had to look it up in the dictionary to check though. I lost...

And here is a picture. It was taken a long time ago (I still had the summer blanket thing on the bed) and it`s even messier now, even though I`ve cleaned it since then. I have accumulated a lot of things... You can see the *shoji* and the couch, an empty Dars box, an empty bottle of green tea, my "Recommend Writer- makes ones feel relief and safe" t-shirt, clothes, CD cased, my host brother`s backpack with holes in it, the cat from Trigun, the drawers I mentioned, the Mickey Mouse towel pillow that is even worse than the Clark Gable pillow my dad has issues with, the floor walls and clothes rack I mentioned. It`s not that cool really. If I go to Esben`s house again (another exchange student) I`ll take some pictures. He`s staying with a family who lives in a really really old Japanese house. There`s a garden in the back yard and everything (and I mean a real garden, with trees and a pond with koi fish and everything). It`s a cool, cool house. And they sell kimonos out of it.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...y/DSCF0148.jpg

And here`s my bedroom from America taken maybe a month before I left (I recall doing some remodeling since then... to more of a Lord of the Rings feel. Seriously.) It looks homey. Looking at it makes me wanna "Blue skidoo" into it and jump into the lazy boy chair. Or turn on the computer and moot. Or most of all, to turn on the PS2. The PS2 is on the bookshelf. You can also see the Clockwork Orange poster I mentioned 3 years ago. It changed positions but it stayed up longer than the Smashing Pumpkins one. There`s a Canadian flag in an old bottle that had Jones soda in it at one point. Oh, I guess I was still using the sleeping bag from three years ago two, only I have a super nice comforter too now. It`s clean too. I wonder if I cleaned it for the picture or after cleaning it it occured to me that I should take a picture. Actually I really like cleaning. I like having my room clean. But it gets messy again in a day or two, I`m afraid. At home I had gotten pretty good at keeping it clean but now I have no time for stuff like that. So... You get the idea.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/jmcgreevy/04.jpg

Last edited by katya : 11-28-2005 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:18 AM   #31
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
You can also see the Clockwork Orange poster I mentioned 3 years ago.
cool! i us to have one of those
Old 11-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #32
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Hmm, my room, white, all of it, bed in a corner near the wall (best bed in the house, had to guard it like a dragon guards gold) across from that is my little composite board desk/workspace/dinnertable with a laptop and lamps precariously rigged on it. To the right is my little dresser wherein I keep almost all of my clothes, that's white too. Then right next to that is the closet where only half the space is mine then the rest is storage for various stuff. To the left of my desk is my over loaded bookshelf. Only thing I like about my room is that it...erm...well, I dont like it, just the bed.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:38 PM   #33
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

My sister and I just recently switched bedrooms, since I'm now living in a dorm for most of the year.

My current room at home is kindof a chunky L-shape. The ceiling is a light, warm-water blue, the walls are a cold-water green-blue, and the trim around the window and door is forest green. About an inch below the ceiling there's a floral, wall-paper trim leftover from when my sister had the room.

I've got my two bookshelves against the south wall, and my bed facing them, parallel to the east wall of the room. My bed has a white-painted, wooden frame (that we've used since I was first old enough to sleep out of a crib) and a newer mattress that's insanely soft and which I used all of my persuasion skills to convince Dad to buy for me several years ago. It's piled with two comforters (one old, one newer) and an old, pink blanket. Next to the bed is my dresser, which I inherited from my grandfather. The floor of the room is pale, fake hardwood, I intend to find a nice rug to cover it with.

My room used to be three closets. Dad took out the walls seperating them to make a usable room, and added a wall where two of the closets connected to the former master bedroom. He never got around to putting a proper door in, so most people think the room is a closet, right up until I open the door to show them. The door is one of those where it's slatted on the top half and the hinges are in the middle of the door so that to open, it folds outwards.

One of the corners is taken up by four crates/boxes filled with the stuff that I now have no shelf or closet to store on/in.

My dorm is pretty generic. Bed, desk, closet, counter... I've got a bunch of photos up now, with some books and a few choice items brought from home to personalize it. I try to keep the clutter down so as to maximize space.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 11-28-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Lady Marion Magdalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #34
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Least they are both somewhat clean, which is a far shot from what your room was like prior to leaving for college....And yeah, I was confused about that door to no end until you pushed it open. I thought you were leading me to some sort of broom or towel closet at first.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:31 PM   #35
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Very small and full of stuff. Much too small for 2 roommates. Hopefully I'll get a private room soon...

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #36
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Your room was three clostets LMM? That's so cool.

Katya, in the picture of your Japanese room, I can see a green plastic bottle next to your bed. Is that cold, flavoured green tea? I think I've had it with honey. You can buy that over here too! I haven't had it in ages. *craves*
Quote:
Old 11-28-2005, 10:27 PM   #37
Melfena
Elven Warrior

Katya Why didn't you mention your mural?
Hmm, my room is a mess, and there isn't really a theam. My walls are covered with: J-rock posters, anime posters, poems, pictures, stickers, a pappoose, and a fox fur (there are also some posters on my ceilling). My floor is covered, although i finaly picked up all my mangas, and in the process i found out they will only stack to 104 high (with help) and about 40 high (without help). There is also action figures from the wall, pocky boxes, a yan yan box, and various bottles of hair dye to use for reference if i want to do my hair that colour again. There is also a mosqutio net over my bed, and a legolas cut-out that guards my door.

Last edited by Melfena : 11-28-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Melfena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:13 AM   #38
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Ha! Pocky boxes. I just spotted one in the pic of Katya's room, too.

Yours sounds like an interesting room. Where did you get the papoose and fox fur?

THe camera I found can't transfer pics to the computer without seperate hardware, so in a couple of days I'll have scanned in some actual photos.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:01 AM   #39
katya
Elven Maiden

Nurvi- yes, it`s the cold kind. We drink it as often as water or more over here. There are about 5 varieties of the same thing in the store, and only 2 or 3 of soda. I didn`t like it at first but not I prefer it.

Melfena- I didn`t mention the mural because it`s not in the picture.^^ There`s a mural of a cherry tree on the opposite wall in my room.

Bombadillo- Her room is interesting. Especially the posters and the Legolas. He`s some roomate. And Pocky is good. There are lots of good foods here but Pocky is classic. "Anata mo watashi mo Pokkiiiiiiiii!" is a commercial song that got in my head. I believe I was using the box for keeping pencils in.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:49 PM   #40
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I wonder if my old haunts still sell that wonderful, refreshing tea. Of course, now I have to remember where I bought it in the first place. I think one of my friends from Forestry brought me some.

Bombadillo, I'm impressed at your dedication to showing us pictures of your room. (Hey, aren't you Canadian? Why aren't you in the election thread? )
Quote: