Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2001, 05:25 AM   #21
Fat middle

Re: Arwen Expansion

i agree with you, FilmHobbit but in one thing: the problem is not what women expect to see in a movie nowadays, but what works better in a movie from a comercial point of view: a film with a love story is more comercial than a film merely based on a fight for power or a meditation on death and immortality...
Old 04-04-2001, 04:24 PM   #22
Film Hobbit

And its more commercially viable because that's what women want and expect to see.
Old 04-10-2001, 07:21 AM   #23
The Dagda

I find myself dreading to see Arwen carrying Frodo upon Asfaloth across the Ford. This is the scene where Frodo stands alone in defiance of the leader of the Nazgul. "Come back, come back, to Mordor we will take you". It is one of the most memorable and frightening scenes from the book; Frodo brandishing his fiery Barrow blade which shatters under the spell of the Witch King as Frodo swoons and falls from the horse, to lie upon the bank and dimly see the dark shapes of his companions and the blazing figure of Glorfindel as they drive the Nazgul into the flood. So Arwen will do this instead, protecting the injured Hobbit? This is one scene that Bakshi got right (with the exception of Glorfindel). Frodo faces the Witch King alone, not with the help of Aragorn's betrothed nor anyone else.
Old 04-11-2001, 03:31 AM   #24
Film Hobbit

What you said is not cofirmed Dag... and some indications have said it is not so.
Old 04-12-2001, 03:58 AM   #25
Inoldonil

Wow. You've got to have balls to call yourself The Dagda. Or a bulbous head, or both.
Old 04-16-2001, 07:43 AM   #26
easterlinge

Dagda is Celtic god/goddess isn't it? Like Danu, or Cernunnos?

Yes, I read "Slaine".

Where was I?

I forget.
Old 04-16-2001, 08:36 PM   #27
Inoldonil

Yep
Old 04-18-2001, 04:40 AM   #28
captain napalm 77

I'm not too sure if anyone has posted this yet, but I found it at TORN.

It's a pretty big image, so I won't post it, but here's the link -
www.theonering.net/movie/s****book/large/1075

I assume this is the Fords scene.
Old 04-18-2001, 08:08 AM   #29
easterlinge

Does Arwen really look like that? Pointy ears and odd dress?

And that sword!!!! I thought the difference between Elf and human weapons was in its quality and magic, not its outward design and appearance. I always imagined Glamdring, orcrist and sting to be standard looking straight double-edged blades, what people call cruciform swords much used in medieval Europe. Apart from glowing in the dark, they would look like Mannish weapons.
Old 04-18-2001, 05:22 PM   #30
Michael Martinez

Quote:
Does Arwen really look like that? Pointy ears and odd dress?
Peter Jackson's Arwen looks that way.

Quote:
And that sword!!!! I thought the difference between Elf and human weapons was in its quality and magic, not its outward design and appearance. I always imagined Glamdring, orcrist and sting to be standard looking straight double-edged blades, what people call cruciform swords much used in medieval Europe. Apart from glowing in the dark, they would look like Mannish weapons.
Middle-earth is not based on medieval Europe, however, so there is no need for anyone to limit themselves to medieval-style swords. In fact, the descriptions Tolkien gives of his swords tend to be very generic.

I did some Elvish sword research for an artist at WETA a couple of years ago and I can assure you that there is nothing in the book relating to Elvish weapons which endorses any particular kind of style.

There is a certain elegance to Arwen's sword which, I think, has an Elvish feel to it. It's artistic and expressive, and Tolkien stated more than once that the Elves were artistic.
Old 04-20-2001, 05:03 PM   #31
easterlinge

I saw one of the other pictures (Aragorn & Arwen together in Rivendell I think).... I think Aragorn looks a bit like Meat Loaf :lol: !!! Probably the picture was stretched sideways a little...
Old 04-21-2001, 02:45 AM   #32
Leonides

The pic you saw (and I saw) was captioned incorrectly. That was Elrond, not Aragorn.
Old 04-21-2001, 04:37 AM   #33
Film Hobbit

So Elrond looks like Meatloaf?? Not sure that is really better.
Old 04-23-2001, 01:21 AM   #34
Leonides

Haven't you scene pics of Elrond? He doesn't look like meatloaf.
Old 04-26-2001, 02:43 AM   #35
Film Hobbit

No no no. not meatloaf... Meatloaf.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:30 AM   #36
easterlinge

I've been relying too much on Ted Nasmith's illustrations for what Middle-Earth looked like. Sorry. Guess we all have licence on how to imagine Middle-earth.

Wait a minute... that guy was ELROND, not Aragorn? I know Elrond's supposed to be old, but.... Elrond with stubble? Are you sure that's Elrond?
Old 05-05-2001, 03:09 AM   #37
Leonides

Stubble? No stubble!

If you wanna see good pics of the characters, go to the official site!

www.lordoftherings.net
Old 05-08-2001, 10:49 PM   #38
easterlinge

You're right, that WAS Elrond. :lol:

Aragorn looks a lot better, fortunately. Why did Elrond wear his hair like that? I thought he would be well-groomed.

Hey... Faramir is blond? :lol:
Old 05-09-2001, 12:43 AM   #39
Inoldonil

He looks well groomed to me.
Old 05-09-2001, 01:42 AM   #40
easterlinge

I meant in the picture of Arwen and Elrond together. I didn't really think Elrond had shoulder length hair, but it looks untidy.