FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #21
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
I can give you a better quote:

"Who me? Vain? How can you say that about such an awesome person!"
I'll put it in if my signature will let me.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:45 AM   #22
rohirrim TR

Quote:
Cheers RTR!

I have lost count of the number of times I've come out of the cinema wanting to disembowel all hollywood executive/PR types.

Or at least get my money back...
I know the feeling and I have had a hard time finding good indies, (probably due to my locale) that can out do hollywood on various points of production. All in all it just makes me want to make my own, but I haven't done anything except lego-mation so it may take me awhile to find a good story that can be quality technically speaking.
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #23
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

O'Connel and O'Toole

Those guys deserve Honorary Oscars. (I've never heard of Kevin O'Connel, but with 19 nominations I'd think he's good!) I like Peter O'Toole too, they asked him why he didn't win in 1962 and he replied: Someone else did.
btw, Ennio Morricone got one this year, he definitely deserved it IMO.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!

Last edited by tolkienfan : 03-04-2007 at 03:43 PM.
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 AM   #24
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

No, Peter O'Toole did not ever deserve the insult of an "honorary Oscar," he has always deserved the real thing. Forest Whittaker did not deserve an Oscar over Peter O'Toole; his performance and his ability is not of that caliber, nor will it ever be.

Honorary Oscar? Are you kidding? Maybe, maybe Whittaker can be considered for an "honorary Oscar" at some point in his aged future; in the meantime, Mr. O'Toole deserves a real Oscar, right NOW. Not some "honorary" insult.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:44 AM   #25
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I'm very sorry, I didn't think there was any difference. I just started watching them last year, I guess I'm not very up on this. I take it all back, I think he's a great actor. I never meant to insult you or Peter O'Toole. Sincerely, tolkienfan

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!

Last edited by tolkienfan : 03-05-2007 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:16 AM   #26
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Woah! Take it easy, tolkienfan, with all the purple sad-faces and mea culpas!! Good grief, we're exchanging ideas and opinions here, not crucifying each other! Just, take it easy, babe, good grief. Have a little fun! Ain't no thang but a chicken wing, tolkienfan. Why you gotta apologise for your opinions? What you have to say means and is just as important as what I or anyone else has got to say, about our impressions on anything.

Last edited by Lotesse : 03-05-2007 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #27
rohirrim TR

yeah tolkienfan
Don't mind Lotesse she's awesome cause she's so clear about her opinions though because of the impersonality of text she may sound kind of aggressive. But its nothing she's awesome, in fact she's the candidate I would most fear if she were to run for president...though a TB/Lotesse ticket would be unbeatable *starts taking notes to give to TB*

so Lotsy I'll have to clear this with the big guy but have you considered being a Vice Presidential candidate for the Brendonianist party?
Quote:
Old 03-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #28
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Woah! Take it easy, tolkienfan, with all the purple sad-faces and mea culpas!! Good grief, we're exchanging ideas and opinions here, not crucifying each other! Just, take it easy, babe, good grief. Have a little fun! Ain't no thang but a chicken wing, tolkienfan. Why you gotta apologise for your opinions? What you have to say means and is just as important as what I or anyone else has got to say, about our impressions on anything.
Thanks. (I thought you were really mad at me) So... what do you have against honorary oscars?

Old 03-08-2007, 04:07 AM   #29
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

What I have against honorary oscars... well, because it's like a guilty afterthought, sort of like "Oh, now that you're two hundred years old and still alive and everyone else has determined you're really a genius after all, and thanks for all the brilliant films, so, I guess we should just give you an oscar now, since we were so remiss so many times before in the past when we should have awarded you specifically for work that you'd done THEN, so we feel sort of pressured now to save face so here you go - an Oscar statuette for you. Sorry it took so long. And gee, tahanks again. " An INSULT!! Insult to the genius who'w work should have been awarded when it had been completed, not years and years later as a sort of vague gesture. Honorary oscars are insulting to the artist.

Last edited by Lotesse : 03-08-2007 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #30
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Is anyone rolling their eyes at the blatantly 'cooked-fer-the-oscars' movies that were nominated this year?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #31
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I just laugh at the Oscars in general!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:45 AM   #32
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
Is anyone rolling their eyes at the blatantly 'cooked-fer-the-oscars' movies that were nominated this year?
Happens every year.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:36 AM   #33
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
Happens every year.
Hadn't noticed

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #34
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse View Post
What I have against honorary oscars... well, because it's like a guilty afterthought, sort of like "Oh, now that you're two hundred years old and still alive and everyone else has determined you're really a genius after all, and thanks for all the brilliant films, so, I guess we should just give you an oscar now, since we were so remiss so many times before in the past when we should have awarded you specifically for work that you'd done THEN, so we feel sort of pressured now to save face so here you go - an Oscar statuette for you. Sorry it took so long. And gee, tahanks again. " An INSULT!! Insult to the genius who'w work should have been awarded when it had been completed, not years and years later as a sort of vague gesture. Honorary oscars are insulting to the artist.
See, I disagree. Oscar voting is like so many things...it has fashions, and trends. People aren't nominated if there isn't enough work from their press agent. They can't be considered if the material is lightweight, even if their work is superb. There are overtly political components. Everyone who knows the business knows that, I think. If the Academy decides, "Okay, the breaks have been against this person, but, darnit, we're going to recognize their work" I don't think you'd take it as anything but the compliment it is.

I rented "A Fish Called Wanda" the other day. Haven't seen it in a while. There are aspects of the performances in that movie that are just the pattern for good comedy. I could teach a class and say "There! Do you see that! That's what I'm talking about!" Kevin Kline won for that, but how rare is that? He wasn't noticed for Pirates (his first film) although his work was equally amazing.

There are a lot of factors, and everyone knows it can be kind of random.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #35
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Well, the "life-time achievements" are better than when they give out an actual Oscar to somebody for something mediocre to cover their embarrassment at not having given them one for the good stuff.

Paul Newman for "Color of Money"; Al Pacino "Scent of a Woman".

Martin Scorsese for "The Departed"- at least that was a decent flic, but to finally get an Oscar for that after "Taxi Driver" , Raging Bull" and "Goodfellas"

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote