Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-14-2004, 12:08 AM   #21
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm reading Tad Williams first book on the Otherland series. Very enjoyable so far. How does that compare to his fantasy series?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:08 AM   #22
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I'm reading Tad Williams first book on the Otherland series. Very enjoyable so far. How does that compare to his fantasy series?
I have not read the Otherland series yet, but from the people I know that have it is about 50/50. Some think Otherland is his best work, while others feel Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is his best. The Otherland series is on my to read list .
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:40 AM   #23
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Haven't read the Otherland Series so can't comment on that...

Finished A Game of Thrones in three-two days. Loved it. Amazing book. A Clash of Kings not available. Ordered through Amazon. Getting harder to breath. Must..get my hands on...it. Addi...ction...

Think I'll have to re-read A Game of Thrones to avoid suffocation or other damages caused by abstinence.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:28 AM   #24
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Haven't read the Otherland Series so can't comment on that...

Finished A Game of Thrones in three-two days. Loved it. Amazing book. A Clash of Kings not available. Ordered through Amazon. Getting harder to breath. Must..get my hands on...it. Addi...ction...

Think I'll have to re-read A Game of Thrones to avoid suffocation or other damages caused by abstinence.
oooooh dont i know your feeling i dont wanna read all the little feast for crows excerpts but i dont think ill be able to stop myself, might be best for me to start them again. unfortunately we didnt order the cards yet but ill probably be able to quench my game thirst with a game of the boardgame this weekend, you never know i might go a treacherous bunch of indbred ****s (translation Lannisters )... im really anticipating Littlefinger and Varys' roles in the next books, we got a hint of Littlefingers extreme power at the end of Storm of Swords but no idea whatsoever what the 'spider' is up to.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:52 AM   #25
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

I don't know if you have ever been to The Citadel site, but check it out. http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/ (It can take awhile to load).
It has the Heraldry for all the families, history, info on the characters, it is a great site and approved by Martin.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:52 AM   #26
Falagar

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
oooooh dont i know your feeling i dont wanna read all the little feast for crows excerpts but i dont think ill be able to stop myself, might be best for me to start them again. unfortunately we didnt order the cards yet but ill probably be able to quench my game thirst with a game of the boardgame this weekend, you never know i might go a treacherous bunch of indbred ****s (translation Lannisters )... im really anticipating Littlefinger and Varys' roles in the next books, we got a hint of Littlefingers extreme power at the end of Storm of Swords but no idea whatsoever what the 'spider' is up to.
Just found ACoK in some shop, and though waiting for it coming through Amazon may all be well and good I couldn't do it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Melko
I don't know if you have ever been to The Citadel site, but check it out. http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/ (It can take awhile to load).
It has the Heraldry for all the families, history, info on the characters, it is a great site and approved by Martin.
Have visited that page a few times, very interesting (hard to avoid spoilers though).
Old 03-22-2004, 05:42 PM   #27
Vilya
Hobbit

Thanks for the link I will check it out as soon as I get home from this stupid business trip.

Sorry for the addiction and withdrawal Falagar . I've been waiting for the next book for months so I am sure you can imagine my pain.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:14 AM   #28
Millane
The Dude

has anyone heard anything about a prequel to Game of Thrones? a friend said he read somewhere that Martin was going to write a prequel once he finished the rest of the books... im already excited (ahhhh Rhaegar )
anyway we got the cards this week and although i havent played yet, it is supposed to be awesome (i got a stark deck )
Old 03-25-2004, 10:45 AM   #29
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
has anyone heard anything about a prequel to Game of Thrones? a friend said he read somewhere that Martin was going to write a prequel once he finished the rest of the books... im already excited (ahhhh Rhaegar )
anyway we got the cards this week and although i havent played yet, it is supposed to be awesome (i got a stark deck )
The two short stories I mentioned earlier, The Hedge Knight in Legends and The Sworn Sword in Legends II, are both prequels that take place around 100 years before A Game of Thrones. They are about a knight, Sir Duncan, and his squire, Egg. Martin said after he finishes ASoIaF he wants to write more about Sir Duncan and Egg. That must be what your friend heard. I have only read The Hedge Knight, but I really do hope he writes more about Duncan.

Legends - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Legends II - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Here is a review of The Hedge Knight from the website link I put above.
An original novella set approximately 90 years before A Song of Ice and Fire, "The Hedge Knight" tells the tale of Ser Duncan the Tall (more often known as "Dunk") and his trusty, bald squire Egg. While the story does not in any way tie directly to the events of the series, it's a wonderful glimpse of a peaceful Westeros in the times of the Targaryens. And indeed, quite a few Targaryens appear in the story, ranging from the mad to the great. Well-written, with the fully-fleshed characters GRRM is known for, this is definently something any fan of the series should read.

(Those with a sharp eye for detail will no doubt recall a reference to the titular hero of the story in A Storm of Swords.)
Old 03-26-2004, 03:18 AM   #30
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Melko Belcha
The two short stories I mentioned earlier, The Hedge Knight in Legends and The Sworn Sword in Legends II, are both prequels that take place around 100 years before A Game of Thrones. They are about a knight, Sir Duncan, and his squire, Egg. Martin said after he finishes ASoIaF he wants to write more about Sir Duncan and Egg. That must be what your friend heard. I have only read The Hedge Knight, but I really do hope he writes more about Duncan.
ohhh damn i was hoping for something written exactly the same as a Game of Thrones just earlier on, he said it was supposed to be the lead up to A Game of Thrones, basically a bit of the Targaryen rule then Robert claiming the crown, the possibility of Rhaegar being in the story made my day, so it better be true
Old 03-29-2004, 04:52 PM   #31
Falagar

You know, ASoS is the first book I've managed to hate and love on the same time...
Old 03-29-2004, 05:16 PM   #32
Arcala
Elven Warrior

How so? Have you finished reading the whole thing yet?
Stay in bed, float up stream (float up stream)

Please, don't wake me, no, don't shake me
Leave me where I am - I'm only sleeping

Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need (there's no need)

Please, don't spoil my day, I'm miles away
And after all I'm only sleeping..."

-from the Beatles' I'm Only Sleeping
Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 06:14 AM   #33
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
You know, ASoS is the first book I've managed to hate and love on the same time...
WHAT A Storm of Swords rocked, have you read both parts or just started or where are you up to? Most of the stuff that i hate in Game of thrones i really love because it is so good to the story
eg. Robb and Greywinds roles at Edmure's wedding
it makes me so angry yet it is just so great at the same time, if thats what your meaning i fully understand.. Whats not to love about ASoS, Barristan, the Unsullied, Jorah hahhahahha Strong Belwas, and thats just about Dany...
Old 03-30-2004, 08:45 AM   #34
Falagar

That's what I meant. Finished it on sunday. Really loved that book, lots of moments...and yet...
When I read about
the red Wedding
and the
death of the Red Viper
I wanted very much to fling the book against the wall; but just couldn't do it and kept up reading. He's a cruel man, that Martin...

Last edited by Falagar : 03-30-2004 at 08:48 AM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:41 PM   #35
Arcala
Elven Warrior

Hey, that's exactly what I thought! Well, with some variations, but the same main idea.

I think that no one in that book was actually happy.
Do you think it was right to bring Catelyn back?

Old 03-31-2004, 10:49 AM   #36
Falagar

Well,
it certainly complicated the matter (especially for the Freys ), though it may seem a bit like some cheap device to revive Cat...we'll see how he handles it in the next, I've heard Cat won't have any POVs anymore.

Last edited by Falagar : 03-31-2004 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:29 AM   #37
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
That's what I meant. Finished it on sunday. Really loved that book, lots of moments...and yet...
When I read about
the red Wedding
and the
death of the Red Viper
I wanted very much to fling the book against the wall; but just couldn't do it and kept up reading. He's a cruel man, that Martin...
yeah i know, but i still love the scene between the red viper and Gregor,
do you think Gregor's going to die just like that? coz as much as i always wished for him to die by Sandors sword now i want Doran to come out and **** him up
Ohhhhhh i just cant stand the wedding chapter, i just get so frustrated and i want to make walder suffer so much, yet then i think how cool it is,
Catelyn killing the fool just like that
ohhhh so harsh...
I loved cat coming back for that moment where she nods to have Merret hung, while never blinking... hahahahah walder feel Cats wrath
i cant really comment on if it was a good choice until i see how she is in the next books, i thought it was a great little addition to the epilogue, i have full trust in Martin (or God as he should rightly be called) and i dont believe he will **** anything up
Old 04-01-2004, 12:43 PM   #38
Falagar

Yeah, the Cat-situation will be interesting (and probably well-handled, it's Martin we're talking about).

It will be delightful to see Cat killing Walder Frey, if it comes to pass. I want that Frey down!

Perhaps they'll both take him? A bit far off perhaps...I have a feeling Sandor will have his revenge, yet I really want the Martell's to have theirs as well. We'll see.

By the way, look what I found! Ordered my copy!
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553801503/qid=1080801973/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-8864648-8752019?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Happy april the 1st!

Last edited by Falagar : 04-01-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:25 PM   #39
Falagar

And while we're waiting for AFFC: My favorite quotes!

Maester (can't remember the name): "There will be pain"
Jaime: "I'll scream."
Maester: "A great deal of pain."
Jaime: "I'll scream very loudly."

Robert: "I vowed to kill Rhaegar for what he did"
Ned: "You did."
Robert: "Only once"

Jaime: "I seldom fling children from towers to improve their health. Yes, I meant for him to die."

Ned: "We're outside the castle."
Littlefinger: "You're a hard man to fool, Stark."

"Winer is coming"
-The Starks

And the best one last:
Jora Mormont: "Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Old 04-01-2004, 05:19 PM   #40
Arcala
Elven Warrior

I loved those quotes too!

Another thing we can do while waiting for AFFC is name favorites! Mine would be either Jon Snow or Daenerys Targaryen. (Stormborn, Unburnt, Mother of Dragons, etc., etc.)