Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-18-2001, 04:50 PM   #41
Sister Golden Hair

Re: Lays

I won't say that I have never seen a movie about the bible that I didn't like, and I am not saying I will not like LOTRs. I am just saying that it will not be as great as the book is. To people that have not read the books, it will probably be the best movie ever. Movies like this are not made for fans of the books, although the movie itself is based on that story. This story is complicated, and to do it justice would require a massive budget. The fact that the PJ movie is not animated is cause for a higher budget and would require more computer technology, and special effects. It has to be a challenge to bring such a fantasy story to life like this one.. An expensive movie making budget means taking a chance on making that money back, a profit, or breaking even. In order to achieve that, a movie would have to appeal to the general public, not the hard core readers of the story. IMHO.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:57 PM   #42
lindil

PJ could have made the LotR very much like the book, he has a gauranteed audience and he knows it. He chose to make the [to my mind] needless alterations . The Silm would undoubtedly share the same or worse fate. But if the LotR movie goes well , they will want to film everything they can. I would not be suprised to see a kids Farmer giles and Smith.

Old 07-20-2001, 05:04 PM   #43
Xivigg

if a film cost you hundreth of million $$$ you most likely would want your money back with a little bonus

how would you do that ?? addapt the stories to attract as much people as possible.

it's sad but true
Old 07-20-2001, 05:11 PM   #44
Shanamir Duntak

indeed... sad but true.
Old 07-20-2001, 11:03 PM   #45
Finmandos12

Hey Shanamir when did you start coming here? I haven't been here since May, and you weren't here then. How did you get 937 posts so quick?
Old 07-20-2001, 11:17 PM   #46
Xivigg

Shanamir is the first Lord

he was here well before you getting is lordship before you find this board

but

he was very busy with school work and hadn't had that much time to post during the last years
Old 07-20-2001, 11:31 PM   #47
Shanamir Duntak

Nicely said Xivigg... indeed, I found the board last summer, at this time, I was coming here often. Then school started back, I didn't have as much time on my hands. Now it's summer time again, got lots of time.