Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 09:25 AM   #21
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Dwarven Sen
Well if we take the next two films to be approx three hours each, thats nine hours to about ten years(how long did it take frodo to leave the shire?). The sil. covers approx 6000 years. thats alot of hours.5400 to be precisely approx. Cool!
It took Frodo seventeen years to leave the Shire -- I had wondered why the movie seemed so rushed at that point! That would have made for quite a long movie, yes? Not that much happened in the interim.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:42 AM   #22
Entlover
Elven Warrior

This is the wrong thread but I have a question: on my LotR CD, PJ said he has "almost 7 hours of movies", speaking of all 3 films.
This is making me nervous because FotR used up 2 hrs 45 minutes, which only leaves about 2 hours each for the other 2 movies. This can't be right, can it? I'm hoping he said that way early and the other 2 movies will be 3 hrs each.

Don't you think the Silmarillion would be a depressing movie?
Old 04-10-2002, 03:51 AM   #23
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Depends. The Silmarillian is based largely on tragedy, and I have a tendency of really connecting emotionally with tragic films. I guess my life is pretty tragic, therefore the ease of connection.

I guess I depends on your past experiences and outlook on life, etc

But I highly doubt the Silmarillian would depress me.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:38 AM   #24
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

You may be the funniest but i think that Arathorn is the luniest with is Isildur's hair.

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Old 04-10-2002, 07:50 AM   #25
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

But I am loony!

Hast thou not entered the realm of The Mighty Three, which hath had its beginnings in Take the test who are you? and now toils in The Mighty Three?

Obviously not. I am damn loony. Get a grip. Get with the program. Go lie down in a dark place.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:13 AM   #26
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

the library is dark enough. you maybe luny but he is luniest until i see what you are garblin' on about. that test thing, is that wher i found i was legolas without wanting pointed ears?

the silmarrilion may be depressing but it has joy too. i like depressing.

my LJ
Old 04-10-2002, 08:48 AM   #27
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

May I say YOU ARE CRAZY. that is good, for the folk of the norm have no reason to be in this place.
carry on with the mighty three cos i wanna find out what happens next.

my LJ
Old 04-10-2002, 08:55 AM   #28
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Yes. Yes, you may say that I am crazy. And thus shall the existence of The Mighty Three ever linger (and also tarry).
Old 04-10-2002, 09:33 AM   #29
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

but if thee tarry thou shalt lose thy crazyness for the other two will demand thy crazy title.
i've just read all 38 pages of the three worder thread. i need a lie down cos my eyes have got stuck.

my LJ
Old 04-10-2002, 09:59 AM   #30
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

The 3-Worder thread - an incredibly wise choice for one who seeks the luniness of he who was Anduril, who became Oh_Wise_One, has a secret name (that none other than my companions, Earniel and BeardofPants, know), and is now again Anduril.

Therefore, may you learn of my loonyness, and become as me.

Nevertheless, Arnold Schwarzeneggar would make a good Hurin, don't you think?
Old 04-11-2002, 03:47 AM   #31
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

yes i suppose so but i always considered hurin to have dark hair, be thin, and not as irritating. i don't think he could do the depressing bit when hurin returns to his wife.

my LJ
Old 04-28-2002, 02:57 PM   #32
Lalatiel
Sapling

Nazgul

muhahaha

No, sorry, the Silmarillion could never be on the bigscreen. They'd horribly botch it up. Besides, it wouldn't work. It spans millions of years, and they'd never be able to do it correctly.

Orlando Bloom as anyone. Glorfindel. Mmmm...

But I still would never want them to make a movie. I mean, have fun imagining someone to do a good Varda.
Old 05-07-2002, 12:39 PM   #33
Tuor
Sapling

Sillmarilion film

I am working on a script at the moment -
Trying to work out what would be feasible and what works best.

I think the only way any part of the sillmarillion could be translated to the cinema would be to concentrate on one of the longer. more complete stories. Even then there is very little dialoge in the treatments -

What would make a good film?

Tale of Beren and Luthien?
The fall of Gondolin ( Of tour and his coming to Gondolin)?
Tale of the children of Hurin?

These really are the only close to full narratives that tolkein completed - and of those I lean toward the tale of Beren and Luthien. It has adventure, danger, battle scenes and a love story...elements which make it easier to pitch to a studio producer...

Both Gondolin and the Narn i chin Hurin, end in utter defeat - Gondlin only works if you take the tale on to êarendil, Elwing and the War of Wrath. Even ending with Tuor's voyage to Valinor is difficult to explain unless you have the whole magnificent history....

What do you think? -

The Tale of Luthien is the greatest of the first age in terms of its significance in the recovery of of the silmaril...it also encompasses many of the core elements of the Sillmarillion. In effect the film would become an independent prequel with characters that the larger public of the LOTR are aquainted. But it would also give us insigt into the Tolkeins greatest love - the heroic saga of the Elves' war against evil in middleearth in the first age.

I mean:

1 Doriath, seat of the Beleriandic Sindarin culture. We get to see apart from Beren and Luthien - Menegroth in its "noontide", a look into the Sindarin world which shaped Middle earth for thousands of years. We meet Thingol, Melian (of the race of the Ainur..!) Galadriel - even Celeborn(?)

2 Nargothrond - One of the greatest Noldorian kingdoms in the first age - Finrod, Orodreth, the sons of Feanor and Huan the hound of Valinor.

3 Sauron - in the beginning.
Beren and Finrods capture by Sauron and Luthiens defeat of him at Tol Sirion
matches maiar henchman of Melkor against duaghter of Melian the maiar. The publid knows Sauron from LTOTR.

4 Morgoth - we enter his throne room, watch as Luthien enchants them to sleep and as Beren wrests a silmaril!

5 The nature of Elven immortality ( serial longevity) and human "death".

6 The founding of the bloodline of Elrond ( and Aragorn) through the first bonding of Men, Elf, Maiar - that changed the course of history...

Its all there but...

Studio execs needs one liners. The Tale of Beren and Luthien could be described as Hero meets girl - loses girl - gets girl---
heroic triumph against good and evil......Tale of love over "racial/class" boundaries...It a complicatedinterplay of elements and with the proper screenplay need not be dumbed down for the cinema - in fact the sence of history and culture only auguments the "action" of the main storyline.

It works..I think . let me know what you think
Closed Thread