Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-18-2002, 04:34 AM   #21
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
After hearing the grown-ups talk about Middle-Earth during my childhood (yeah, I was young once) and before reading the books, I thought ME was the inner side of a hollow Earth and the inner core was it's sun. I think I got this idea because of the name itself.

Hey me too

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 10:02 AM   #22
Pailan
Elven Warrior

I would say it was the change in the tone of the story. It was no longer a simple adventure tale. It starts out simple enough, lots of hobbits, food, big party. (It took me a while to get used to Frodo as the main protaganist.) But as they leave the Shire the story slowly builds into this flowing epic in which the fate all of middle earth hangs in the balance. And as the story unfolds the shift away from hobbits towards men and elves left me wanting to know more about dwarves. There were plenty of dwarves in The Hobbit, less so in the LotR.

I really did belive Gandalf was dead. Got confused between Sauron and Saruman. And I was waiting for more dragon action because Smaug was such a great villian in The Hobbit. Yes, another dragon to fight was something I expected but didn't get.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 01:47 PM   #23
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

I'll tell you a really embarrasing one now!!!

I read the hobbit ages a go but only started LoTR in January. So from the hobbit, i knew gandalf pretty well etc... anyway i found this summary on the net about Felowwship and it was only a couple of sentences.
And when it said Gandalf died it had in brackets (Its kind of the same as when that guy comes back as a dog as he gets reincarnated) I
didnt think it was true, but still, there was a slight question in my mind that Gandalf did come back as a dog!
I dunno. Can you imagin Gandalf as a dog!!! I
cant beleive that person even compared his death to that of a guy who came backa s a dog!!!

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 07:37 PM   #24
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Pailan, I agree about the tone of the book. And I too often confused Sauron and Saruman.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 08:19 PM   #25
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

Gandalf

That strider didn't die(well not until the apendixxes anyway)! You see when I was up to the part where they meet strider I asked my friend if strider died and he said yes! Probably got mixed up with borimir.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 10:29 PM   #26
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
I have a problem with the maps. It's fine when I'm looking at them in the books, but when I pretend that I'm in Middle-Earth, I always picture Mordor to the west for some reason. And Gollum still kinda looks like a mutant frog in my imagination.
That happened to me too, I can picture the maps fine, but my mental image of the quest is all twisted. For some reason I pictured them going north from Rivendell, which puts Mordor in the west, and really gets confused in Fangorn. (this seems to be a common failing of mine, that's happened in a couple other books too... )
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 02:47 AM   #27
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I forgot to mention that because of the Bakshi animation, I also thought of hobbits as always looking like the beatles with moppy hair instead of being curly and that Saruman is pronounced with a silent 'S'.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 04-19-2002 at 02:48 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 03:03 AM   #28
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
I forgot to mention that because of the Bakshi animation, I also thought of hobbits as always looking like the beatles with moppy hair instead of being curly ...

Yeah, I thought that as well... And, for some reason, I *still* associate the beatles with the shire!
Old 04-19-2002, 07:04 AM   #29
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

When I first read the LOTR I thought that Sauron was not really there, just a evil thing that the free peoples of ME refer to. And even though now I know the correct pronouciations I still sometimes say Sauron as Sore-ron and Cellaborn as Sell-a-born.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:34 AM   #30
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Same here, I also found myself thinking Sore-on and Sellaborn the entire first time.

Plus also Caradhras as Caradras, not Carathras.

Then again, I only found out about the correct pronunciation in the appendices...

The elves, until getting up to the Council of Elrond (I think...), I imagined as those little "Gelflings" from the Dark Crystal...
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 05:38 PM   #31
Elf Girl
Lurker

Heehee...I was reading the prologue for the first time and I said really loudly, "Oh, that ring!" It was funny...heehee.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 09:27 PM   #32
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Theoden

when i first read the hobbit (i was like 9 or 10) i thought bilbo had a beard..dont ask... and it just kinda carried over the LoTR...i knew hobbits had little or no facial hair but i sometimes still got the image that frodo was a midget dwarf
Old 04-22-2002, 08:39 AM   #33
Elf Girl
Lurker

That happens to me...All through The Hobbit, I thought the Ring had a diamond in it. I had to alter that image radically when I read LotR.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote