Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-21-2002, 06:56 PM   #101
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Ah well I guess I'm a bit different then I like a fair number of musicals and stuff (although must admit worst I've been to see was Cats - now THAT was rubbish. 1 good song and the story just stops rather than ends, so you walk out going 'eh? Is that it?'
I agree, Gerbil. I had looked forward to seeing it for so long, and I was greatly disappointed with it.

I thought 'In the Bedroom' was an excellent film. Full of syllogism (the lobster trap, lobsters, the bandaid/wound on finger). The acting was excellent as was direction. It made you think, left you satisfied but not "knowing how it all turns out".

Of course my vote for best picture is LotR, but they are so different in scope. LotR is dramatic, epic, brilliantly scored and is an adaptation of a story I already love. I know that 'A Beautiful Mind' is up as the major competition this year, but in all truth, it left me cold. (Of course I didnt adore Gladiator, so who knows).
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 08:29 PM   #102
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

For the record, every singing voice in Moulin Rouge! belonged to the actor that played the character. In other words, yes, the principal singing voices do indeed belong to Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor, John Leguizamo and Jim Broadbent. Yes, there was some dubbing, but most lines in any movie, spoken or sung, are dubbed over anyway in post-production. In the industry, it's known as ADR.

As for bropous: well, like I said earlier, if you're biased against the entire musical genre as it is, then there's really no point to discussing Moulin Rouge! with you, since we come from perspectives pretty much religious in incompatibility. Being a fan of film as a storytelling medium by itself, I don't discriminate by petty factors such as genre.

It should be noted, however, that entirely original music is not and never will be an absolute necessity in a musical, and that the use of existing music is not plagiaristic, but tributary. Entirely original musicals are just a different category of their own, and completely exclusive. Of course, you being the one soul who didn't enjoy Singin' In The Rain, there's not much of a point to me arguing this either.

And in case you're wondering, I should clarify that my pick for the Oscar is indeed LOTR by a long shot, but I would much rather have Moulin Rouge! win than the three other nominees.

As for what LOTR should win?

My picks:

Picture
Director
Supporting Actor (but only because neither Jude Law nor Jim Broadbent's role in MR! were nominated)
Adapted Screenplay
Score (the one that should unquestionably be LOTR)
Visual Effects (though an A.I. upset is more than tolerable)
Sound
Makeup

Plus some that LOTR should win, but an MR! upset would be fine by me:

Art Design / Set Decoration
Costume Design
Editing (which could also deservedly go to Memento)

LOTR's cinematography is breathtaking and would/should win in any other year, but all of the competitors are just so strong this year, I'm not sure who to root for. The Man Who Wasn't There will probably take the prize.

I'm not sure about Song. Since the musical fell into a coma, that category has been pointless anyway... and "Come What May" was snubbed out of a nod because of a technicality.

What LOTR will pick up? I'd say from 6 to 9 would be a reasonable guess.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 10:28 PM   #103
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"Being a fan of film as a storytelling medium by itself, I don't discriminate by petty factors such as genre. "

Ah. I think I see the dissonant chord here. You are more of a "holistic" film fan, embracing the entire art and enjoying all films for the sheer sake of film, and I am much more "esoteric" fan, enjoying only those films which appeal directly to me. Admittedly, my opinions of films are probably a lot more subjective than yours. It's difficult for me to give a positive review of a film if I don't care for its general framework.

Folks look at it differently: Some like movies, some like films. Some like the art, some like only genres of the art. Just like I love impressionism, but cubism makes me gag, I love a good epic but recoil at the idea of a musical. There ARE exceptions, and Moulin Rouge had every chance, O Ferrous One [maybe that should be "O Celluloid One"], of being one of those exceptions.

I just couldn't get past Madonna and the Police in a 1890s dance hall. I just think that was a lazy easy road for Mr. Baz, take songs already popularized and string together a musical piecemeal.

No, IronParrot, although the musical/opera is my least favorite variety of entertainment, it does not mean that I can not enjoy a musical or opera occasionally which strikes my fancy. Problem is, most of the musicals/operas have people acting so cornball that they are literally painful for me to watch. I thoroughly enjoyed "Jesus Christ Superstar", "Godspell", "Fiddler on the Roof", "My Fair Lady", the original London cast of "Evita", "Rocky Horror Picture Show", and "The Sound of Music", and a couple of other musicals, and a few operas. So Moulin Rouge wasn't completely without a chance to be a good movie in my book. It just didn't live up to the level of any of the previously mentioned films of that genre.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 11:26 PM   #104
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
"Rocky Horror Picture Show"
Ah but did you dress up as a transvestite to go? If not it don't count
Old 03-22-2002, 10:57 AM   #105
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

toast, rice, water pistol, newspaper, cards, but no high heels!

Leeeet's dooooo the Tiiiiiime Waaaaaarp agaaaaaaaain.....
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 11:00 AM   #106
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
toast, rice, water pistol, newspaper, cards, but no high heels!

Leeeet's dooooo the Tiiiiiime Waaaaaarp agaaaaaaaain.....
Utter utter coward.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:41 PM   #107
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
Ah well I guess I'm a bit different then I like a fair number of musicals and stuff (although must admit worst I've been to see was Cats - now THAT was rubbish. 1 good song and the story just stops rather than ends, so you walk out going 'eh? Is that it?').
Cats - I'll bet you were quaking in your fur at that one.

And I loved it, by the way.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 11:40 PM   #108
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend

Cats - I'll bet you were quaking in your fur at that one.

And I loved it, by the way.
What, at those mangy old kitties? I think not
If you have to see one, go see either Miserable Les or the Phantom of the Opera. Give Starlight Express a miss too, if it's even still running
Old 03-22-2002, 11:48 PM   #109
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Hey, the Rum Tum Tugger was pretty fearsome!

I would love to see Phantom of the Opera. Don't know about Les Mis - I read the book and didn't like it much (too melodramatic). Musicals are great though.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 12:43 AM   #110
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Ugh. I had to sing some stuff from Les Mis last year, and I really didn't like it. Of course, I only got the songs, but one can get a lot of the story from that. . .But I generally don't like musicals. There are very few out there that I enjoy.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 12:17 PM   #111
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Interesting (or otherwise) comments from the ga- sorry, typo! guy hosting the Baftas, Jonathon Woss:

Best picture: In the Bedroom
Best Director: Peter Jackson

He said a few others but since FotR weren't in those catagories I'll ignore them for the meaningless trivia they are.
Old 03-23-2002, 12:21 PM   #112
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
I would love to see Phantom of the Opera
Phantom rocks.
But it's darned expensive, even though it's been out for years.
I think I paid about £50 each for a couple of tickets to go with a gf a while ago.

Still cheaper than a Madonna concert from what I hear

And cheaper than the amount I've spent on going to see FotR!

Lets see:

Average of £7 per ticket. Seen it 8 times
Parking £5, only walked there once, so that's 7 times.
Probably a couple of pounds each time for snacks.

So thats:

7 * 8 + 5 * 7 + 2 * 8 = £107

Man I am such a sucker...
Old 03-24-2002, 10:03 PM   #113
Gerbil
Elf Lord

YAY!

First oscar is in the bag!
For make-up.
It missed out on editing mind.

11 more to go in this live, spur-of-the-moment coverage by Mammal networks ltd
Old 03-24-2002, 10:19 PM   #114
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Yay for makeup!!! Now, to keep fingers crossed.....
Tiro! El eria e mor
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 03-24-2002, 10:20 PM   #115
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Hey - even I felt that if LOTR didn't win for Make-up that they would have been cheated. But I think Momento should have gotten it for Editing.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 10:25 PM   #116
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Go to the academy awards thread that Emplynx started for the latest on the Oscars

http://www.tolkientrail.com/entmoot/...&threadid=4028
Old 03-24-2002, 10:57 PM   #117
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Of course we're all waiting for the big one... but yay! Cinematography!!
Tiro! El eria e mor
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 03-26-2002, 03:53 PM   #118
shirechild
Hobbit

Gandalf Desered it

We deffenitaly deserved all 13 oscars but at least we made away with 4. How many did Harry Potter and the Sorcer's Stone get? WE should have gotten 13!!!!! besty film deffenitaly. Some one I know saw it 10 times. $55 on the fellow ship so far. Must buy movie

My theroy is: inocent until proven guilty... many times.

Life sucks then you die...GoddTimes, Good Times

FRODO LIVES
shirechild is offline   Reply With Quote