Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-24-2002, 12:34 PM   #1
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Nominations and Awards for FotR

OK Lets get this thread going. It seems that Peter Jackson and company's efforts are being rewarded with nominations and some awards.

So please feel free to add what you find and to add your comments.

My thoughts are running something like this:
that FotR won't grab any Oscars this go around. That the true recognition for the movies won't be until all three have been run. And that will only be possible if each movie is better than the one that preceeded it.

Let's start of with the Golden Globes:
4 nominations, 0 awards

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 01:07 PM   #2
Pailan
Elven Warrior

However at the Golden Satellites awards on the 19th FotR had 9 nominations and took home 4 awards.

FotR won in these categories:

-Best film editing
-Best film (animated/mixed media)
-Best sound
-Best visual effects

And missed in these:

-Best cinematography
-Best costume design
-Best supporting actor (McKellen)
-Best adapted screenplay
-Best art direction

The Best Film award however comes with subcategory status, which I think is cheesey.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:20 PM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

How is it an animated/mixed media film?? If they're referring to the CGI - then almost every movie made today is a mixed media film. One thing - they should have used CGI to remove Pippin or Merry's fillings when Gandalf pulls them up by the ears at Bilbo's party. With all the CGI work - you'd think they could have managed that. Or did hobbits have dentistry?

I personally think - without having watched a lot of other films that it would be against - it should win for...

set design
special effects
(possibly)costuming
Best Sound

I'm very glad it did not win for "Best Adapted Screen Play". And it's by far not the best movie of all time or even of this year.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 08:50 AM   #4
Pailan
Elven Warrior

I was reading today on the net, (Southland Times from NZ, I think that's my source) that knowledgeable folk in the movie biz think thta FotR will pick up 13 awards at the Academy Awards this year. Of that total, it is thought to stand a good chance at winning 6 or 7 of them, with a real crack at Best Picture of the Year. This is very heartning news.

Has anyone else heard similar buzz going on?

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:06 PM   #5
Gerbil
Elf Lord

I've not heard that
Wouldn't it be fantastic if FotR won 'em all?
Mind you, I'll be happy as long as FotR gets lots of nominations (not really sure how it can fail to) and HP gets none

On an aside about the CGI stuff, here's an old but (almost) interesting aside:

The first film to use CGI was, of course, Tron.
BUT it was disqualified from being nominated for oscars because it used CGI - at that time they felt it was cheating
Old 01-28-2002, 01:17 PM   #6
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Here's the bit about Oscar possibilities for FotR. Try this link Southland Times

I snagged this through Imladris.net.

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:21 PM   #7
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil

The first film to use CGI was, of course, Tron.
BUT it was disqualified from being nominated for oscars because it used CGI - at that time they felt it was cheating
I guess some awards still feel that way hence the "mixed media" divisions.

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:34 PM   #8
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Heh, came across this and thought I'd better post it simply because some of the negative comments about FotR are so funny

http://us.imdb.com/CommentsShow?0120737

Man, don't they understand that films that wind them up that much must be better than films that fill you with apathy? Any reaction is better than no reaction

I have this huge mental image of some pre-pubescent american boy who didn't get the toys he wanted for Xmas writing these comments, determined to take his vitriol out on the world in general!
Old 01-28-2002, 05:43 PM   #9
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

I hope FOTR wins some oscars, it deserves them. It was an amazing movie. I don't know what some of those jackasses are talking about on that site. OOOh that movie was too long! OOh that movie was boring, it wasn't a good story . What a load of ****. Those people don't know what they are talking about. The movie was great.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 06:04 PM   #10
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Just read there's a fair chance that FotR will be nominated for up to 13 awards at the errrr Baftas I think. English awards stuff.
So we don't have to suck up to the US filmies, cos we ain't got a film scene worth diddly
Old 01-28-2002, 07:13 PM   #11
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Well I've seen A Beautiful Mind, okay it was also filmed down the street from me, but I don't think FOTR is going to beat it out for Best Picture. I'd be really really surprised if A Beautiful Mind didn't win.

For LOTR there is always next year and year after still. I would like it to win - but I just don't think it comes up to Best Picture quality for this year. And I don't think if it was against Excalibur - it would have won either.

Okay - on the IMDB comments - I agree with some of the complaints. But this person - Michael Votto (mikevotto@yahoo.com) making the statement that he could have produced all three books of LOTR into a single three hour movie is complete idiot IMO. I haven't read all the comments though - but that one was just laughable.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-28-2002 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:00 PM   #12
Peregrin Took
Sapling

Strider

The 'brilliant' critic on imdb stated: "Or should I say the anti-ending. This may look unique in the eyes of cinematic idiots, but it was just unnerving. The ending was not an ending, it was an extended pause until next year"

What on earth is that guy talking about? He's complaining that PJ ended the movie badly? The ending (besides the fact that Boromir doesn't die until the beginning of TTT) is almost exactly right on. Its identical to the original ending Tolkien wrote for FOTR. I don't have it nearby to quote from, but i remember it concluding in something about frodo and sam going together into Mordor.
"extended pause until next year." Absolutely ridiculous. How did he want it to end? "And then, Frodo and Sam quickly ran down from Amon Hen and destroyed the ring; along with the next two movies."?
'We mean,' said Pippin, choosing his words carefully, 'that it's no good groping in the dark. We could save you time and trouble. But you must untie our legs first, or we'll do nothing, and say nothing.'
Peregrin Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 08:36 PM   #13
jerseydevil

Nazgul

I think that was from one of the people I sat next to on Saturday who after the movie ended said - "I guess they're going to have a sequel". I know others have had the same experience - but that was the first time I heard someone say that.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-28-2002 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:51 PM   #14
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Re: Nominations and Awards for FotR

I'm very surprised FOTR has won that "Best editing" award that Pailan mentioned above. I think the editing was anything but brilliant: the movie has several roughs cuts and transition. The worst is obviously that of the Mirrormere, but there are some more.

Not that i'm concerned with oscars or awards, but the only awards i'd give to the movie (having enjoyed it tremendously and all) would be for Ian Mckellen and Ian Holm as leading/supporting actor, and first of all for the writers as best adapted screenplay: they have done a wonderful work.
Old 01-29-2002, 04:29 PM   #15
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Well Fat middle, all I can say is that the Golden Sats. are not the Golden Globes. I have seen other award groups nominating FotR for best editing as well. When I have some time I will try and round them up and post them here.

If anyone comes across more awards and nominations for the movie, feel free to enlighten our discussion with your knowledge.

Meanwhile, I am curious as to what the Academy will nominate FotR for....

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 01-29-2002, 05:12 PM   #16
Pailan
Elven Warrior

I really should be doing something else but...

(ok this one is for hams...er, I mean Gerbil and his fellow Brits.)

Great Britian's BAFTA has nominated FotR for the following:

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Lead Actor (McKellen)
Best Adapted Screenplay
Achievement in Music
Best Cinematography
Best Production Design
Best Costume Design
Best Editing
Best Sound
Achievement in Special Visual Effects
Best Make-up and Hair

As you can see, FotR has been nominated for Best Editing, again. Must of done something right there.

Now if I only new what BAFTA means, Gerbil?

Then the British version of the People's Choice Awards are the Empire Awards and FotR is nominated for the following:

Best Film
Best Director
Best Debut - Billy Boyd/Dominic Monaghan
Best Debut - Orlando Bloom
Best Actor - Elijah Wood
Best Actor - Viggo Mortensen
Best British Actor - Sir Ian McKellen
Best British Actor - Sean Bean

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.

Last edited by Pailan : 01-29-2002 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2002, 05:18 PM   #17
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Ok, now for the nominations from the Screen Actors Guild for FotR.

Best Supporting Actor (McKellen - Gandalf)
Best Acting Ensemble.

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:58 AM   #18
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Awards this time

Ok here's the the Awards won by FotR as given by the Phoenix Fim Critics, taking 10 of the twelve it was nominated for....

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Acting Ensemble
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Cinematography
Best Production Design
Best Costume Design
Best Visual Effects
Best Song (May it Be)
Best Original Score

Not too shabby... ok it didn't win for Best Editing . I think things are boding very well for the Academy Awards. And the Oscar for Best Motion Picture goes to....

Thought and comments, please.

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.

Last edited by Pailan : 01-30-2002 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:44 PM   #19
Ben
Retired Ent

Well, remember there are obviously going to be 3 films in a very short period of time. The Academy may want to wait to see the second or third installment before showering LotR with awards. There's no way that they're going to vote LotR 3 years in a row, and what if TTT and RotK are superior films?

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 06:25 AM   #20
daring gaffer
Sapling

BAFTA rules
much more fair than the oscars anyway (ok so i have a grudge against the foreign films system so sue me )
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
daring gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote