Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-04-2000, 07:51 PM   #1
Andeny

Hobbit Holes on I80...

I live in west des moines, iowa,(USA) where I am an active member of the science fiction club. There is one person, (about 22-24 years old, the only one that age) who is planning to go down interstate 80(at least i think it's 80) a week before the lord of the rings movie comes out to put hobbit holes on the side of the ditch over a lage area(more than 10 miles he's estimating). the hobbit holes will be round pieces of plywood, painted bright colors(so that they stand out, there wouldnt be much point if only one or two people notice them) with a doorknob attached to the middle. He is going to need a lot of help to do all of this. Will I am trying to recruit people, I don't know many people outside of our sf club who likes the lord of the rings series enough to do this (it is kind of illegal). Will i dout many of you, if any, are from the(West)Des Miones area, this is one of the largest ezboards running, and it's is about jrr tolkein. If any of you would be willing to come, go to Mayhem comics and collectables in west des moines(check the phone book for the adress) and ask the man working there when the next science fiction club meeting wil be. The meetings start at 7:00pm and end at about 8:00pm(afterwords, about half the club goes to a big dinner a resturant wich usualy last untill about 9:30pm). Just ask the guy (I wish i could remember his name) about his plan and he will be glad to tell you. I know this will probably do nothing, but I hope a few people get intersted and come or even do it where they live if they can't. i will not be checking this fuorum so don't try to ask me any questions.
Old 10-05-2000, 03:39 PM   #2
Ghost of Gilthalion

Re: Hobbit Holes on I80...

Wow! If you guys have that much energy, why not build a real one!

http://www.geocities.com/robertwgard...hobbithole.jpg

...and if that didn't work...
www.geocities.com/robertwgardner2000//hobbithole.html
Old 10-06-2000, 01:10 AM   #3
anduin

Why do I have the incredible urge to buy a house with some acreage for the sole purpose of building a Hobbit hole? It used to be setting up a permanant camp site on our land with a tee-pee. Either one I know I could live in for a very long time.

Does anyone ever feel bogged down by material possessions? I frequently have the desire to rid myself of THINGS. Get back to basics.

I think I need to go camping. What's everyone doing this weekend?
Old 10-06-2000, 03:41 PM   #4
Ghost of Gilthalion

I'll have to put together a website some day on HOBBIT LIVING! Simple life in the Shire is one of the great appeals to Middle-earth!

Earth-sheltered structures, like a cave, are actually warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. There are many many sustainable alternatives to the lifestyle that Madison Avenue sells us!

Greenhouses and intensive gardening, root cellars and smokehouses and dehydrators, well water, wind power & water & solar power, composting and recycling, renewable building materials and fabrics...

While I'm not a Unabomber Manifesto signatory, and I do believe in technological progress, I also think that we can (and will one day have to) simplify our culture of consumption.

In other words, I would love to live in a Hobbit hole, gardening my own veggies and raising my own rabbits and catfish, etc., I also want my snug little hole to have electricity, running water, and modern communications (SatTV, Radio, Internet, Telephone).

While not everyone would choose to live this way, it could be surprisingly affordable for the poor and result in an overall better standard of living for many.