Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-27-2002, 03:27 PM   #1
Elvet
Elven Warrior

The mortality of men

One of my favorite concepts from this book pertains to the mortality of men versus the immortality of the elves. Most of us view mortality as a negative - given a choice who wouldn't want to live forever? By having both men and elves created at an equal level, Tolkien conveys that mortality is actually a gift and living forever has its drawbacks. Embracing a finite existence goes against the grain, but perhaps it does allow for greater deeds
when one is focused on living for the moment.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:48 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: The mortality of men

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvet
One of my favorite concepts from this book pertains to the mortality of men versus the immortality of the elves. Most of us view mortality as a negative - given a choice who wouldn't want to live forever? By having both men and elves created at an equal level, Tolkien conveys that mortality is actually a gift and living forever has its drawbacks. Embracing a finite existence goes against the grain, but perhaps it does allow for greater deeds
when one is focused on living for the moment.
A big part of the mortality of Men was learned by the Elves through the relationships that Finrod Felagund had with them. We find out later in the HoMe that the gift to Men (Mortality) was tainted by Morgoth somehow shortly after the awakening of Men. If you like the subject of mortality of Men, and immortality of Elves, read Morgoth's Ring, Vol. 10. The Histories of Middle-earth, Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 05:59 PM   #3
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Thank you for the reference.
I just purchased HOME vol. 6-9 to find out more about LotR.
Now I'll add 10 to my library.