Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #101
Miss Cassandra
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
The Exorcism of Emily Rose kept me awake all night!
But it's a really good movie. I recommend it to all horror fans.
I still havent seen that! I have heard that it wasnt scary so I never even wanted to see it. ..I am going to watch it now.

In the mouth of Madness was really spooky. But i never see it anywhere, its one of those you have to look for. Very very good. and quite creepy...
Old 08-28-2007, 11:37 PM   #102
Nautipus
Kraken King

I dont know if anyone is still posting on this thread , but I am. So ha.
I thought that Silent Hill was creepy too. I think that I liked the game Silent Hill 2 better than the movie, though. Anyway, there you go.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Nautipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:19 AM   #103
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Silence of the Lambs did a number on me, man, when I first saw it and even now to watch it again truly head-effs me. Now THAT was a scary film. "Do you hear the lambs, Clarisse?" "It puts the lotion on its skin!!!" shudder...

But not much else really scares me anymore, mainly because I avoid filling my mind with useless negative horrific trash like the super-horrifying stuff they put out nowadays, like Saw or whatever. I got better things to do with my 2 hours and my imagination and time.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:47 AM   #104
OldHippie
Elven Warrior

The Vanishing, not so much scared me but disturbed me greatly. Jeff Bridges played an incredibly deranged psycho in this movie. Also starred Keifer Sutherland.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #105
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

When I was really young, those trees in the forest that attack Dorothy and Co. in The Wizard of Oz gave me nightmares! Ugh - those faces!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #106
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Silence of the Lambs did a number on me, man, when I first saw it and even now to watch it again truly head-effs me. Now THAT was a scary film. "Do you hear the lambs, Clarisse?" "It puts the lotion on its skin!!!" shudder...
It's the prequel film to Silence of the Lambs that really bothered me. That "Red Dragon" got pretty disturbing, toward the end. So I didn't finish it. I turned it off about three quarters of the way through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
When I was really young, those trees in the forest that attack Dorothy and Co. in The Wizard of Oz gave me nightmares! Ugh - those faces!
When I was very, very young, I got extremely scared of Bambi. The part where Bambi's mother gets shot by hunters got me really, really scared, so I would get off the sofa and hide behind it during that scene.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:35 PM   #107
Nautipus
Kraken King

Silence of the Lambs didn't really scare me that much, mostly because I never got to see it all at one time.
I never saw the Vanishing though. I heard it was really good. I kinda wish that they would make more movies out of books, like by Dean Koontz and things like that.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Nautipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #108
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an

That scared me too; and those flying monkey creatures at the wicked witch's castle.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #109
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
It's the prequel film to Silence of the Lambs that really bothered me. That "Red Dragon" got pretty disturbing, toward the end. So I didn't finish it. I turned it off about three quarters of the way through.
Hannibal, and, I'm guessing Red Dragon, were pretty much just scare flicks. Silence of the Lambs, however, was, in the truest sense, a horror film. A movie which did not rely upon visuals, (though it wasn't afraid to use them); it was a very cerebral kind of horror, which is the best by far.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #110
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I didn't see Hannibal. I really enjoyed Silence of the Lambs. Red Dragon was very well made- I've heard it's much better than Hannibal was. It was very well crafted-the directors fully achieved exactly what they were after-but I didn't think that what they were after was something worth achieving or right to seek to achieve. It gives so much power and glory to evil . . . context of that world, there is no power higher than that of evil, but I find that a very negative message. It glorifies evil.

I didn't find "Silence of the Lambs" the same, though. I didn't get the impression in that one that evil was the highest power. Evil was always on the run throughout that movie, on the defensive, trying to evade the good guys. Except as regards Hannibal, I guess, but he was not an all-powerful evil one trying to hunt down our good guys. "Red Dragon," on the other hand, presents the good guys incessantly on the defensive struggling against superior evil powers. The evil powers pretty much take the place of God in terms of their authority in "Red Dragon." I expect that it's that way in a lot of horror films.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 08-30-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #111
Nautipus
Kraken King

That really is the essence of the horror genre, an inescapable and overpowering evil is presented to the characters, and through a series of daring moves and self-sacrifice (not always willful sacrifice, by the way), there is some kind of intervention, and the characters are saved, rather than having rescued themselves.

I'm still a big fan of the genre, though.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."