Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-02-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
ringbearer
Elf Lord

What Movie REALLY scared you?

Not startled you...but made you scared to turn the lights out after watching it...no GORE/SLASHER movies please...Creepy scary is what I'm after...

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:46 PM   #2
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Well, I don't watch too many scary movies, but I just watched The Shining and that was pretty scary (the book was scarier though) When I was younger Jumanji scared me a lot.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

the shining... the scariest movie i've ever seen (for books, probably pet sematary a bit more than the shining)

the original alien was pretty scary too... it had a good bit of gore, but it was more than just that
Old 11-03-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

The 1963 "The Haunting of Hill House", scared me more than the orignal Dracula and that was no mean feat....I can't watch its repeats or similar movies since.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:21 PM   #5
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Ôdishon. I defy anyone to watch this movie and not be disturbed enough to contemplate not finishing it. Its about as extreme as films get.

As for pure scare value what about Psycho? Agree whole heartedly with the Shining. Thats just a brilliantly well done film that leaves you feeling creeped out for hours.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Holy crap, IRex, that movie was ****ing creepy. What did she keep saying to him? Something like tinky-tinky-tinky? Eeeeep.

And speaking of asian horror...

The original ringu movie, theres something freaky about psychotic asians - mebbe it's cos they look different or summit, but she was waaaay scarier than the american psychotic.

*Agree with The Shining, and Alien

Last edited by BeardofPants : 11-03-2005 at 03:43 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:46 PM   #7
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
the shining... the scariest movie i've ever seen (for books, probably pet sematary a bit more than the shining)

the original alien was pretty scary too... it had a good bit of gore, but it was more than just that
I have Pet Sematary, I haven't read it yet though.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:04 PM   #8
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
The 1963 "The Haunting of Hill House", scared me more than the orignal Dracula and that was no mean feat....I can't watch its repeats or similar movies since.
Don't listen to my little brother here, he'd pee his pants over Never Ending Story

Jurassic Park scared me when I was younger. When I watched the Sixth Sense in theaters I was terrified...

The taking-out-heart-part (as me and my siblings call it) is really gross and scary, and after a few views, I just couldnt watch it anymore. I always fast forward that part now.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 11-03-2005 at 08:06 PM.
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:09 PM   #9
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

hmm...barney and friends?
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:57 PM   #10
ringbearer
Elf Lord

I agree with the original "The Haunting"(of Hilll House)...the novel by Shirley Jackson was scarier, though.
As far as "The Shining" goes...I hated that movie(the 1st one, with Jack Nicholson). Jack's acting was superb...I just hated how they changed the book ending so much. (Like, how they killed Haloran...because they just had to have someone die!) Now...the made for TV version was superb...the "hedge animals" were in that one, AND that was the scariest part of the book!

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 11-03-2005, 10:01 PM   #11
ringbearer
Elf Lord

[QUOTE=Insidious Rex]Ôdishon. I defy anyone to watch this movie and not be disturbed enough to contemplate not finishing it. Its about as extreme as films get.

What is this one...have not heard of it...what is it about?
Is it foreign?

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 11-03-2005, 10:08 PM   #12
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
Don't listen to my little brother here, he'd pee his pants over Never Ending Story
I am not related to HB

perdone mi español pobre-no bromee sobre esto

Last edited by Spock : 11-03-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:19 PM   #13
ringbearer
Elf Lord

[QUOTE=ringbearer]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Ôdishon. I defy anyone to watch this movie and not be disturbed enough to contemplate not finishing it. Its about as extreme as films get.

What is this one...have not heard of it...what is it about?
Is it foreign?
OK...just read about it on imdb...It sounds OK...BUT it's probably got subtitles...if I have to read it while watching it, I'm sure it will take away some of the "enjoyment" for me!

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 11-03-2005, 10:23 PM   #14
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

IR do you mean this one?

Audition (オーディション; Ôdishon) is a 1999 film directed by Takashi Miike based off a Murakami Ryu novel of the same title, starring Ishibashi Ryo and Shiina Eihi.
Ishibashi is Aoyama Shigeru, an ageing film producer and widower whose son Shigehiko (Sawaki Tetsu) convinces him to remarry. He confides his anxiety about re-entering the dating scene to his friend and colleague, Yoshikawa (Kunimura Jun), who suggests the two arrange a mock audition, for a role that will never exist; Aoyama can then simply pick whoever he likes best.

He picks Yamazaki Asami (Shiina), a former dancer who left ballet after a career-ending injury. She says she has no expectation of getting the part, she simply wants to test herself. Aoyama is instantly captivated, by her strength as much as her beauty, and the two soon fall in love. All seems perfect, but of course it is not. Yamazaki disappears into thin air, only to return to exact a horrifying revenge.

it hardly seems worth the effort; "a chick flick" perhaps?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:34 PM   #15
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Ha ha ha ha! Take a chick on a date to see that flick and see how quick she writes you off as a psycho... The movie involves various scenes where you are thinking to yourself oh my god they arent going to actually... OOOOHHHH THEY DID! OH MY GOD THATS EVEN WORSE!!! AAAHHH!!! Its just pretty hard core stuff. Its up there with a flick like Irreversible for over the top hard to stomach disturbing scenes. Ive known people to walk out on that movie. Now THATS a movie you should take a date to Spock!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:48 AM   #16
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Well, I don't watch many scary movies. When I was 10 I watched "Basket Case" at a sleepover and it completely freaked me out. I have not seen it since then, so I don't know how scary it would be to me now. There have been others that gave me temporary scares through suspense, startlement, and gore, but I'm pretty sure that's the only one that really scared me and had me looking over my shoulder. Maybe because my friend's house was dark and creepy itself!

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:07 AM   #17
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Ha ha ha ha! Take a chick on a date to see that flick and see how quick she writes you off as a psycho... The movie involves various scenes where you are thinking to yourself oh my god they arent going to actually... OOOOHHHH THEY DID! OH MY GOD THATS EVEN WORSE!!! AAAHHH!!! Its just pretty hard core stuff. Its up there with a flick like Irreversible for over the top hard to stomach disturbing scenes. Ive known people to walk out on that movie. Now THATS a movie you should take a date to Spock!
Sounds good! Now I'll be searching for it for the next six years I'm sure, damn obscure films and being the best out there. And then I'll probably regret it.

I love your sig, too, IR.

Believe it or not, The Grudge made me afraid to sleep. It was a stupid, stupid movie and shouldn't have been made even once, but just a few parts got me. I think it was because even before seeing it, I would sometimes envision a black cloud forming in the corner of my room as I laid in bed, and then that very thing happened in the film, and the cloud all of a sudden sprouts big, white, p-oed human eyes, and I was in my seat actually cursing and sweating because I knew right away I'd never sleep comfortably again. THat was freaky. And then when the guy is monitoring the security cameras, and that shadow under the broken light just grew into the girl's sillouette and she walked right down the hall and surprized the camera... ah, I'm afraid to turn my head.

...On that note... good night.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:57 AM   #18
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh god yeah... the thing she did with needles... ugh. ::sick::
Old 11-04-2005, 10:19 AM   #19
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Ha ha ha ha! Ive known people to walk out on that movie. Now THATS a movie you should take a date to Spock!
I appreciate your advice; it would never seem to be that type of movie from the review.
BTW, I only go or see movies, to be entertained and have since that time years ago, never gone to be scared, intimidated nor horrified. It's nicer that way.
Also, the only movie I have ever walked out of was the TNG movie where they were observing another culture. I couldn't get past the first ten minutes and just left the theatre.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:48 PM   #20
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringbearer
Not startled you...but made you scared to turn the lights out after watching it..
Watership Down, when I was young. The General.. *shivers* I can still see myself sitting at home, in front of the television. Parents had gone out and the neighbour was baby sitting me but then she went to get something at home and I was alone in the dark. I think I must have sat there for at least 10 minutes just looking at the snow on the TV, too afraid to move an inch or the big rabbit that no doubt hid behind my seat would attack me.

For the rest I tend to avoid scary movies. Too vivid imagination. Never a good combination.