Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-22-2002, 12:58 PM   #41
Gerbil
Elf Lord

The scene is where Gandalf rides to Minas Tirith to find the docs Isildur wrote about the Ring.
Basically it's when he rides up, stops and looks a bit worried, then it cuts to what he can see.
The view is Minas Tirith on the extreme right and in the 'foreground' (although obviously still fairly far away), and the mountains to the west of Mordor are visible - you see dark clouds swelling up behind them, and lightening, and (I think, can't verify until I've seen it again ) you can see red flame, presumably from the top of Mt Doom, towards the top left.

And Osgiliath may be ruined, but without explosives and such stuff, I can't see how 'ruined' can mean 'flattened completely to the ground', it would just mean more than a tad run down and most definately deserted, but still visible.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:54 PM   #42
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
The scene is where Gandalf rides to Minas Tirith to find the docs Isildur wrote about the Ring.
Basically it's when he rides up, stops and looks a bit worried, then it cuts to what he can see.
The view is Minas Tirith on the extreme right and in the 'foreground' (although obviously still fairly far away), and the mountains to the west of Mordor are visible - you see dark clouds swelling up behind them, and lightening, and (I think, can't verify until I've seen it again ) you can see red flame, presumably from the top of Mt Doom, towards the top left.

And Osgiliath may be ruined, but without explosives and such stuff, I can't see how 'ruined' can mean 'flattened completely to the ground', it would just mean more than a tad run down and most definately deserted, but still visible.
i thought that before the War of the Ring osgiliath was in a fairly advanced state of ruin, @ 250 years prior to the War of the Ring, actually. & that during that soldier-orcs had captured what was left of the city and during those battles, the city was finally destroyed and its great bridge broken. then during the War of the Ring, osgiliath was recaptured after the battle of the pelennor fields, and was never rebuilt but fell into final ruin.

this may be completely wrong, as i can't recall my sources for these thoughts.

i do agree, though, that anything of any size would have been seen by looking from minas tirith toward mt. doom.

am going to see the movie again today - i'll look again, myself.
Old 02-17-2002, 01:34 PM   #43
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Re: Boromir

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous

1. Boromir. If you note, when Boromir trips Frodo and demands the Ring, the clasp of the cloak we all know Galadriel gave to him, the leaf-shaped clasp, is undone. To me this is a "subliminal suggestion" of his breaking with the honor of the Fellowship; none of the other characters have the clasp undone at any time. However, when he appears to save Merry and Pippin from the falling blow of the Uruk-Hai's axe, the clasp is re-fastened, indicating he has re-joined the Fellowship in his mind, and regained his honor. Beautiful touch, Mr. Jackson.
I just went and saw it for the 4th time and I looked for this. I didn't see it, tho- I noticed that he has two clasp-like things, one of which was undone, and then the leaf-clasp, which remained done up. Of course, I could have been mistaken.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 04:08 PM   #44
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Okay, Question for you guys who've seen LOTR 4 or more times: not having unlimited time I've been saving my next (2nd) visit to the cineplex for next week -- there are very few movies I've been able to enjoy after seeing them twice. The only two I can think of are High Noon and (blush) The Faculty, because Elijah Wood is so cool in it.
So don't you get bored after seeing it several times? Please explain.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 05:58 PM   #45
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Nope, Entlover, we don't get bored, b/c it's such a darn good movie. I wish I could see it again. Oh, and Elijah Wood is cute as Frodo, too . . .

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Old 02-17-2002, 08:11 PM   #46
Hapira_Brandybuck
Enting

about Bromir's clasp thing.... I hate to ruin your theories but that's undone the_whole_time so I dunno if it does have any meaning or not

'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.
Hapira_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 10:23 PM   #47
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

The non-leaf clasp is indeed undone the whole time. The leaf clasp remains done.