Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-14-2002, 03:56 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Is Elvish for Sissies?

I was reading an article with the Elven coach for the LotR films, and he relates this anecdote:

"We are walking from one set to another, and John Rhys-Davies (who plays Gimli) thunders by. He is a large man, and clearly on an errand of some urgency. We catch up and pace him, and I am introduced together with my role on the film. "Elvish???" he bellows, "A language for sissies!!! You should learn Dwarvish! Now there's a language for you!!!" And he quickens his pace, and is gone."

Interesting!

http://www.lordoftherings.net/bweld/bweld_text.html
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 03:59 PM   #2
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Hmmm. Another couple of interesting paragraphs:

"Later, we sit and watch the filming, in the top room of the tower of Cirith Ungol. The scene is trimmed to its essentials. The dialog is not always Tolkien's, but I have to return to the book to be sure, the spirit is so close. I get to hear one of my favorite lines: "You can't go walking in the Black Land in naught but your skin, Mr. Frodo." The essence of Sam. Peter gives the dialog a subtext. Sam is thinking, 'I'm going to destroy that thing that's causing you so much pain -- by myself if that's what's needed.'

"They spend all day on this bit, so critical to the emotional arc of the story. In the end, Sean Astin as Sam delivers the line with weariness, grief, determination, courage, and love. I leave with tears in my eyes."
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:04 PM   #3
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

isn't that same thing in the "how-they-made-the-movie" officail book thing?

i remember reading it somewhere, but i can't remember where, and i know it's not from the net.

hmm
Old 02-14-2002, 10:57 PM   #4
spidersbane
Hobbit

Is elvish for sissies?

It depends on whether one considers being intelligent the same as being a sissie. John Rhys-Davies should perhaps consider the intricicity of Elvish compared to Dwarvish, which shows Tolkiens
love of the language, then ask if he consideres Tolkien a sissie?
— Feanor, from the Quenta Silmarillion.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" (Celtic Proverb)

"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't."
spidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 11:01 PM   #5
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

NO languages are for sissies! Learning an language are an total hard thing! C? One gotta is tough!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 01:14 AM   #6
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

i believe this is unfair. elvish is for non-sissies as well! Why should they have all the fun?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 02-15-2002 at 01:19 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 01:59 AM   #7
anduin
Entwife

Perhaps he was just staying in character.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 03:11 PM   #8
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I agree, anduin. John Rhys Davies realy makes a character come alive, and boy howdy did he ever do a great job as Gimli! I jsut thought his statement that elvish is for sissies to be such a perfect quote from the actor chosen to play Gimli! Loved the scene in Rivendell at the council where he yells, "I will die before I see it in the hands of an elf! Never trust an elf!" and spittle goes flying all over. also loved the part of "eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox.....oooo! oooo!"

Davies is a fantastic actor, and a guy with a good sense of humor!
Old 02-15-2002, 08:31 PM   #9
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I wonder how he'll do treebeard's voice. I imagine it to be deep yet smoother than gimli's which was nicely done. I liked the way he talked about Balin's hospitality just bfore his angquish at Moria ("Malt beeeer")

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...

Last edited by Arathorn : 02-15-2002 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2002, 12:54 AM   #10
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I agree, he was probably trying to stay in character. I want to be an actress (yeah, yeah, I know...) and have acted some minor parts, but you still try to get into them.

My last role was a neurotic, stupid chicken. Yes, an actual literal ANIMAL chicken.
Old 02-16-2002, 11:06 AM   #11
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Arathorn.... is John Rhys Davies going to do Treebeards voice?
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 11:15 AM   #12
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

yup! Saw a text excerpt on one of the other sites where he explains how difficult it is to talk that slow after doing Gimli.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...