Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-22-2001, 04:37 PM   #1
webwizard333

Underlying Message

After much LOtR research I have discovered the underlying theme in Tolkien's LOtR: Marrige is bad. Whoever wears the ring is under the control of Sauron. As someone may fall under the control of a control freak spouse.

Sauron=controlling husband or wife who uses the ring to control the spouse!!!
Old 07-22-2001, 10:28 PM   #2
Elenna

Re: Underlying Message

So, I suppose you noticed that most all of Tolkien's characters are not together, like Elrond and his wife who went away to Valinor after her capture and rescue from the orcs.

Or, there is the Beren and Luthien theory where you have to die to be together.

Obvoiusly there are some marriages that worked out , but they are not the ones he wrote much about. Or are there?

Elenna ~ Lady of the Stars
Old 07-22-2001, 10:32 PM   #3
Finmandos12

He wrote about Tuor, who got to stay in Valinor even though he was a human because he married Idril. That seems like a benefit of marriage.
Old 07-22-2001, 10:59 PM   #4
Elenna

Ok.

I've not read much on Tour and Idril. Can you tell me where I can find more of them?

Elenna ~ Lady of the Stars
Old 07-22-2001, 11:43 PM   #5
Finmandos12

Re: Tuor and Idril

In unfinisheBook Of Lost Tales Vol2
Old 07-23-2001, 08:00 PM   #6
KYOTE FIELDS

Is this an acual book or just a made up volume in the appendixes?
Old 07-23-2001, 08:03 PM   #7
Shanamir Duntak

Hum.... it IS a real book...
Old 07-23-2001, 08:29 PM   #8
Manwe Sulimo

It is the second book in the HoME series, I believe... by Cristopher Tolkien, really, but he just ellaborates a bit on what his father wrote...
Old 08-20-2001, 09:58 PM   #9
galadriel
Elven Warrior

There are plenty of happy couples in Middle-earth: Aragorn and Arwen, Faramir and Eowyn, Galadriel and Celeborn, Sam and Rosie Cotton. Okay, so there are a few couples who have unhappy endings as well: Elrond and Celebrian, Frodo's parents, even the Ents and the Entwives. In spite of all this, I think that Tolkien's point was "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". among other things. (not that the anti-marriage idea isn't interesting in it's own way)

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 10:26 PM   #10
Darth Tater
The man

I wouldn't exactly call the ending of the story of Aragorn and Arwen happy! I love this theory btw!
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 02:59 PM   #11
Idril Celebrindal
Sapling

heh... yeah, I like this theory. and celeborn and galadriel... didn't she go to valinor while he stayed in middle earth? *tries to think properly, but decides she is too tired* or did he follow her later? *sigh* I'm feeling dopey right now.

Besides, the big worry was that if the Allies didn't get nuclear fission working soon then the Germans would beat them to it. Given the chance between our blowing up the world and the enemy blowing up the world, it was obvious what to do.
That is, on reflection, not a happy sentence.

~The Science of Discworld~
Idril Celebrindal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 03:11 PM   #12
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

He followed her later. He ruled the Realm of East Lórien in the Wood of Greenleaves, before growing weary and staying with his grandsons in Rivendell. Eventually he sailed over Sea with the last of the Ñoldor, some time I guess before Fourth Age 120.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:36 PM   #13
Old toby's wicked weed
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwizard333
After much LOtR research I have discovered the underlying theme in Tolkien's LOtR: Marrige is bad. Whoever wears the ring is under the control of Sauron. As someone may fall under the control of a control freak spouse.

Sauron=controlling husband or wife who uses the ring to control the spouse!!!

this canon be mr webwizard333?
Old toby's wicked weed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #14
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

The anti-marriage theory is contradicted by Tolkien's own marriage.

When Aragorn died, his marriage ended so what happened to Arwen afterwards is hardly an anti-marriage.

They say "the world is a mirror for how we feel inside ourselves" - maybe that's why Tolkien's writings feel anti-marriage to some and not to others.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:32 AM   #15
Landroval
Elven Warrior

I second Jon S.; at the moment, I can't think of an instance when marriage turned out to be bad for the spouses - quite the opposite (the one example would be Nerdanel, who definitely influenced Feanor in a good way while they were together; Melian gave wisdom and power to Thingol, and the same could be said of Luthien and her husband).
Elves getting divorced was a tricky matter, even after one of them was dead. In Laws and customs of the Eldar, it is said that:"marriage, save for rare ill chances or strange fates, was the natural course of life for all the Eldar". Esspecially during times of conflict/war, it is only "natural" that many marriages fall apart.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #16
Green Rose
Sapling

LOL, I actually agree. Which marriage has actually gone good huh?

Arwen and aragorn: Aragorn dies, Arwen is left a weak, pathetic, depressed mortal.

Sam and Rosey: Sam realized he loved Frodo so much he name a kid after him.
Green Rose is offline   Reply With Quote