Lord of the RIngs
Unfinished Tales
Tales form the Perilous Realm
Chronicles of Narnia
Screwtape Letters
Sword of Shannara (1-3)
Byzantium
The Seven Sleepers Series

What I need is some help on what to read next!? It seems I've been reading only the best stuff, so what is other good stuff? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Elfstone(davie)

P.S. I've heard good things about the Wheel of Time and the Rift War Legacy. Give me your thoughts on them as well. Thanks again.

"He who loses money loses much,
he who loses love loses more,
yet,
he who loses faith loses all."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by Elfstone. : 01-06-2002 at 06:09 PM.
Elfstone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 07:14 PM   #2
Alethes
Enting

You could try reading Watership Down, the Redwall series, or the first 3 Dune books. (There are more Dune books besides the first three; I don't like them as well, but others do, so I don't know if you would like them or not.)

The man who wrote the Seven Sleepers books wrote some other books -- the Daystar Voyages (about a crew in space) and some other books about the Seven Sleepers called "Lost Chronicles of the Seven Sleepers" or something to that effect. There are some other Sword of Shannara books too, but I haven't read them, so i don't know what they're like.

I haven't read the Wheel of Time or the Rift War Legacy, so I can't give opinions on them.
-Proverbs 22:11
Alethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 07:59 PM   #3
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

Star Wars Expanded Universe books are always good.

And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO till the day I die.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 10:30 PM   #4
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Go here Very good, great even!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 11:22 PM   #5
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Try the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I have read the first one and it is really good. I hope to read the others soon!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 01:14 AM   #6
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Try Lloyd Alexander's Book of Three,
C.S. Lewis - The chronicles of Narnia

and especially,
Philip Pullman - The Golden Compass (seriously, this is a GREAT!!!! trilogy. Must read!!!)
A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula K. LeGuin (also very good and more Tolkien-like than the others)

As for the Wheel of Time, it's worth it for the first three books. The very first book, The Eye of the World, is really great and one of my favorites. Robert Jordan's world is so complex and detailed you just get hooked (sound familiar? ). Unfortunately, each book is worse than the last. But . . . well, when/if you read them, you'll understand

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 09:16 AM   #7
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

FrodoFriend, Elfstone has already read Narnia.

Narnia = Great Book
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 06:52 PM   #8
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Oh, sorry. Didn't see that.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 08:33 PM   #9
Butterburr
Hobbit

I've recently enjoyed some books by Guy Gavriel Kay - who helped edit the Silmarillion: The Fionvar Tapestry (a trilogy - The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire & The Darkest Road), The Sarantine Mosaic (Sailing to Sarantium & Lord of Emperors), and Tigana.

I have to confess that I'm tired of the Wheel of Time, and feel a bit used... I won't purchase the books anymore, but I'll read them when they come to the Library.
Butterburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 04:08 PM   #10
spidersbane
Hobbit

Try more of Steven R. Lawhead (the guy that wrote Byzantiun), also any and all of Terry Brooks' books.
— Feanor, from the Quenta Silmarillion.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" (Celtic Proverb)

"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't."
spidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 03:18 AM   #11
sepulchrave
Enting

more of the greats...

good evening...
i first discovered the work of JRR Tolkien in 1973, when i was eleven. I had previously read the Narnia Chonicles , by CS Lewis, and I guess my taste for the otherwordly, the magical and fantastic was sealed at that time. I was a fresh immigrant to Canada from the UK. I read The Hobbit first, and could hardly wait to get my hands on a copy of the Lord of the Rings. I had just borrowed an ancient three volume H/C edition from the school library, when my father returned from a business trip to England with a one volume copy...I was hooked, and immediately sought "books like it". In the end, I think I was ultimately both dissapointed, and overjoyed. There is always the rest of Tolkiens work, a lengthy list indeed, but there are few indeed that are "like Tolkien", without seeming mimics or copies... I tried Terry Brooks, but found him one dimensional and shallow in comparison. Stephen R Donaldson is more original, and but the first three books are better than the rest... Watership Down...ahhh, a magical book indeed, the best of that "talking wild beast takes on modern world and its ecological destruction" genre, but more so, with its depth of mythmaking, and dreamy storytelling. The Duncton Wood series I have no comment on , for I have not tried them yet.
CS Lewis wrote three remarkable pieces of science fiction, that are very good, but I read them first when I was in my twenties, and I doubt I would have appreciated them earlier than my teens...They are titled, "Out of the Silent Planet", "Perelandra, or Voyage to Venus", and "That Hideous Strength". They concern the ultimate conflicts between good and evil, set in the context of a sci fi scenario. I cannot recommend these works highly enough.
Back to fantasy, there are two beautiful, strange dreamlike victorian fantasies that Tolkien most certainly was aware of, by a fellow called George MacDonald, called "Lilith", and "Phantastes", that are superb examples of mythlike storytelling. They are hard to find, but are in print by a co. called Eerdman publishing.
If you can find "Mythago Wood", and its sequels, "Lavondyss" and "The Bone Forest", by Robert Holdstock, they are award winning fantasies of the highest order.
There is a Canadian writer named Charles deLint, who has written some good stuff, two that I have read are "Spiritwalk", and "Moonheart".
Another great recent work, is "Little, Big", by a fellow named John Crowley..unfortunately out of print a the moment, but a lovely book.
I cannot omit the amazing, staggering works by Mervyn Peake, "Titus Groan", "Gormenghast", and "Titus Alone". The bbc recently did a good screenplay version (they spent a fortune)thats worth watching. This book I read in my late twenties, but it stands alongside the Ring in my view, as in the top five most enjoyable books I have ever read, although it is not "like" it.
There are others I am sure, that I have not read, I am picky, and I have tended to look as much before Lewis and Tolkien came around as after. there are great fantasists in the victorian period. William Morris, a bit stiff to modern ears, is a clear influence on both Lewis and Tolkien, and theres ER Eddison, a correspondent of Lewises, who wrote early epic fantasy.
Good Luck in your search, do not be afraid to take chances, dont restrict yourself to the" Quest involving sacred or enchanted object, under insurmountable odds against dark lord type enemy with friendly wizard as ally, possibly also with dwarf, elf or other warrior type in tow" variety! Be openminded. there are some great works out there...!!!
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 05:00 PM   #12
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

hey Elfstone, you should try the disc world books of Terry Pratchet once. The best comic fantasy you can find! ( well it was the best I could find and I'm still laughing)
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 09:39 AM   #13
Elfstone.
Hobbit

Thanks boys

Tie up some loose ends, the other Dune books sucked, hitchiker sucked too, no offense

I just finished the Belgariad totally AWESOME has to be read by any fantasy nut, gonna step into the 12 book series of the Wheel of Time next.

Ps. thanks again mates

Elfstone.
(a.k.a. Davie, Estel)
"Now in the very hour of his great designs the heir of Isildur and the Sword are revealed; for I showed the blade re-forged to him. He is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him."

- When Aragorn son of Arathorn looks Sauron straight in the eyes and Sauron cowers.

Anduril flaming in my right hand.
The Palantir's blue eminating glow in my left hand.
3500 Year's of Kingly Numenorean bloodline flowing through my veins.
Who's your Tyler Durden, now?

Christ Reigns.

Romans 10:9
Ephesians 6
Psalm 91
Elfstone. is offline   Reply With Quote