Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-27-2002, 01:42 PM   #1
diannah
Hobbit

Sam Gamgee Uninformed Friends

OK, first question--do the majority of you have friends that enjoy LOTR? I am saying this honestly--I am the only kid in the eighth grade who loves LOTR to this point. My friends have seen the movies but don't go any farther than that. My best friend tried FOTR, but she said it just wasn't her thing. Don't you guys get annoyed when you're trying to clear up somebody's question about LOTR and you've just spun into this long review of whatever they want to know and they just don't get it? I'm probably sounding like an ass right about now, but I've just been thinking about this for awhile.
diannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:24 PM   #2
Elf Girl
Lurker

I have one friend who is into LotR the way I am, one who loves it but not as much as me, one who is mildly interested, one who is just starting, and a bunch who could care less. *sigh*
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:25 PM   #3
DraztiK
Enting

none of my friends like LotR, though some have seen the movie PJ made out of it and enjoyed it.

Our Armies in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales
Our Brothers in Belgium, Holland and France will not fail.
Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Italy,
Switzerland, Austria, back to the Glory of Germany!
~Manowar - Blood of the Kings~
DraztiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 08:10 PM   #4
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
I don't have any friends who like Tolkien's work to the extent that I do.

When I was in junior-high, though, my friends (usuallly a few years younger than me) were members of invented clubs and went on imaginary adventures that I based on Middle Earth, though. I did all the research and then we all just played along.

Now that I'm old and grey, all my friends (not the same ones who played Middle Earth games with me) respect me as "the guy who knows way more about Tolkien's work than we do" (even though lots of people, especially people on boards like these, know way more than I do). So they all want to know what I think about the movies, or they tell me if they read any of the literature or whatnot. My father-in-law freaked out when he read tLotR, and kept calling me to tell me how great it was. My sister asked me if I was as disappointed with tTT movie as she was. That sort of thing.

Chances are the only other eight-graders you'll find who like tLorR quite as much as you will be hanging around message boards like these, but not in your school. If you've got any D&D nerds role-playing in the library, they might be a little bit more interested in Tolkien than the rest of the kids around.

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 12:43 AM   #5
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Unfortunately, I'm almost the only one I know who likes LotR on a degree similar to mine. My mom is willing to put up with the movies; my brother likes LotR, but not really all that much (he thinks Elves should be wimpy, frail idiots and Dwarves should rule all). Most of the other people I know like it, but not to a great degree. There's this one guy I know, a friend of the family, who's a big-time LotR fan, though; he's got a huge amount of books! Like 3 copies of hobbit, 2 of each LotR book, some of the HoME books, and some other books about LotR (like reference books, books about Tolkien and LotR, etc.) He's the biggest fan I know (besides myself, of course ). Of course, that's not including all these mooters. It's good to be among one's own kind.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 12:49 AM   #6
Taurwen
Hobbit

I have two friends who love LotR as much as I do, which is lucky. They were over here tonight, and we were listening to The Two Towers Soundtrack, and Karen and I were acting out Fellowship with just the two of us. Then we were discussing Gollum. Its really cool. Thats sucky for you who don't have any other Rings fan friends.
And woods of nightshade morrowless.
The Sudering Seas between them lay,
and yet at last they met once more,
And long ago they passed away
In the forest singing sorrowless.
Taurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 12:52 AM   #7
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Yeah, I know.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 08:49 AM   #8
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I have one friend that lovea reading the books, she is actually a member of this site but she NEVER comes on.

I have another friend that started reading the books after she watched the movies, she is on this site too but she never comes on.

I have a couple of friends who don't like LotR much at all but they accept that I'm obsessced with it and apprieciate that.

The rest of my mates think its Ok, but they think I'm totally wierd about it.

Then I have a few mates who get annoyed with me over it and they think its totally crap!!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 09:05 AM   #9
diannah
Hobbit

Sam Gamgee

Taurwen you are so lucky to have friends who will come over and discuss things like Gollum. There are no DD fans at my school (except myself) because they're all so nice and sainted. Thank God or the Devil or who ever else is out there that I'll be moving this summer.
diannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:35 PM   #10
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

The only other person who really likes LotR that I know is my brother. Unforunetaly, he hasn't even finished TTT yet! So I try to have intelligent Tolkien conversations with him, and half the time he has no idea what I'm talking about! very frustrating.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 02:44 PM   #11
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I have two friends who love LotR almost as much as me.

I have one friend who says she likes the books, but I think she likes the movie better.

I have one friend who is reading the books and likes them (I think)

And I have various other friends who like the movies.

Wow. I'm pretty lucky.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 11:36 PM   #12
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
I live with two people like that. Unfortunately, one likes HP. *sigh* theres no hope there.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:54 AM   #13
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Am I allowed to point out that in your signature FireKitten Merry says
Quote:
This my friends is a PINT!!
in the EE of FotR not Pippin which is spelt PIPPIN not PIPPEN.

Anyway I have a friend who loves HP, I mean love as in FANCY HP.

*sigh* She's a gonna!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 08:08 AM   #14
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I don't have any friends that love the works like I do. One of them is a little into it, but hasn't finished the book, another one have finished the book, liked them, but couldn't care less.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:36 PM   #15
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Strider

diannah, yes.. been there. After reading the Hobbit at the beginning of my senior year of high school, then reading the trilogy and the appendices and totally geeking out by starting to learn to write Tengwar, there were none I could find that was into it, until a cute, quiet blonde girl was putting some stuff in her locker, and I saw a copy of Return of the King there. I made a 'Mae Govannen' tengwar note and stuck it to her locker, and I watched as she came and read it, looked around like she was afraid her Tolkiengeekiness was found out, and so I walked up and said 'Mae Govannen', The rest is history.. at least until graduation a few short months later... We talked Tolkien, and even made a 'Friends' inscription in a wet cement curb that was poured one day. We cut class and did it with only one small mistake!

Yes, its hard to get people interested in the literary works of Tolkien, but don't dispair.. there are always gems in the sand!
Old 12-29-2002, 06:03 PM   #16
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
yeah i know that my siggy is screwed up *sigh* maybe I'll get around to changing it one day, but I'm lazy so its not likely to come anytime soon.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:25 PM   #17
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

diannah-
I, like Amandil, am older and a bit grey, and most of my friends have either read LotR after college or did so because they were required to do so in high school.

I read it to my youngest daughter, who is also now in Eighth grade, and she is the only person that I know who shares my passion for it, and she also shares your frustration with her contemporaries as well.

At your age, you are unique and gifted to be able to appreciate this great work.

How did you come to read it? Did someone introduce it to you, or did you pick it up on your own?

Fear Complacency!
Old 12-31-2002, 10:15 AM   #18
DraztiK
Enting

Quote:
How did you come to read it? Did someone introduce it to you, or did you pick it up on your own?
When the movie came out, I wanted to see it, but not before I had read the books, so I went to my library to get them. I was put on a waziting list and by the time I got them the movie wasn't in the theatres anymore. I read the books in dutch, then bought them together with The Hobbit in English. Later I borrowed the Sil, and the rest is history ...

Our Armies in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales
Our Brothers in Belgium, Holland and France will not fail.
Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Italy,
Switzerland, Austria, back to the Glory of Germany!
~Manowar - Blood of the Kings~
DraztiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 10:20 AM   #19
Elf Girl
Lurker

I'm 12. Am I "unique and gifted"? There have been plenty of people my age on this board in the past and present. My one friend who loves as I do is my age. I don't think it's that uncommen.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 03:50 PM   #20
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

My oldest son, age 16, loves it almost as much as I.