Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-11-2002, 11:36 AM   #21
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

You know, Yazad, I think it is just as incredible a feat as making the film for Peter Jackson and his producers to find investors to front $270 million for this film. I think there must have been a lot of Tolkien lovers with "bloody great wodges of cash" to throw into the till! And boy, are they getting a return on their investments...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 01:05 PM   #22
Yazad
Enting

Aye, it is truly amazing, especially, if I may be so bold, for a relatively unknown director to get the opportunity! I'm truly hoping that they recoup their investment with the first installment. It's always been my fear that the first film would bomb so they'd have to cut the second two to make them more "viewer friendly", but, thankfully, it doesn't look like that'll be the case. Wooo hooo!!!

Yazad
Yazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 02:32 PM   #23
Pailan
Elven Warrior

And as of Wednesday the 9th FotR has grossed $211 million in the USA and over $240 million overseas. So I think PJ and company are quite pleased and will offer us better efforts in the two to come.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 09:12 PM   #24
Quazar
Hobbit

Gandalf

I first saw Bakshi's animated version when it first came out in the late 70's. I own both that tape and the sequel (a much poorer cartoon) and have enjoyed them several times over the years. I thought both followed the books fairly faithfully.
For various reasons I haven't been able to see FOTR yet, but will this weekend, then I can make some intelligent comparisons.

Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 11:16 PM   #25
sracer
Hobbit

Nazgul

I'm happy to see that others have come out of the woodwork with their appreciation for the Bakshi version. Up until last week, I thought that I was the only person on the planet that not only liked it...but loved it. I saw it in theatres during its first theatrical run back in the late 70's (78?). I saw it about a dozen times in the theatre...and even went as far as sneaking in a portable cassette recorder into the theatre to record the audio...and listened to THAT another few dozen times. (Of course this was all before the advent of camcorders and VCRs)

When the DVD was finally released, I jumped all over it... The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and Return of the King 3 pak for only $33.99 at Costco Warehouse.

Bakshi's interpretation of the mines of Moria was my favorite part of the film... in some respects I like it more than Jackson's version (which I happen to like very much).
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 11:33 PM   #26
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Eh?

My memory tells me Bakshi only did the first two parts in the one film.

Are you saying he finished it? Damn I have gotta see it!

Haven't seen it in years but I loved it then. Maybe now it won't seem so good, but I do recall the Nazgul being quite scary, and I must admit right up until I heard Gollum speak for the first time on PJ's film I was expecting the Gollum voice from the animated version

Of course, there's only one way for me to find out whether I still like that version...
Old 01-13-2002, 11:57 PM   #27
sracer
Hobbit

Nazgul

Nope, Bakshi never finished it. The Hobbit and Return of the King DVDs bundled with Bakshi's LOTR are the Rankin-Bass animated films. They are more geared toward young children, but I think that some of their characterizations are more true to the books. Eg. The hobbits are rounder and hairier than Jackson's and Bakshi's.

Sorry for any confusion.
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:25 AM   #28
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

The hobbits are rounder and hairier than Jackson's and Bakshi's.

Er, this is a GOOD thing? *wink!*

Bet they ain't rounder and hairier than Peter Jackson though! LOL!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 06:15 PM   #29
Yazad
Enting

Glad to hear your opinion Sracer! Since the announcement of the Jackson films, I've been amazed at how many bad feelings about the Bakshi film came up. Everyone was reaming on it.

Unfortunately I never got the chance to see it in the theatre. I was only 7 at the time. But it was one of the first movies I ever saw on video, and I remember wondering if there was a way to flip the tape at the end. I was very concerned.

I bet much of the bad feelings people have for the film is the fact that it just ends all of a sudden, and they weren't expecting it. Bakshi wanted to call it "Lord of the Rings: Part One", but the folks at UA (?) wouldn't let him, hence, I guess people in the theatres were actually expecting the whole thing, and then whammo! It just ends. I'd be pissed too, but I also think I'd get over it after 23 years. Oh well

The other night I watched the Flight to the Ford segment like 5 times in a row. It's amazing just how gorgeous it is, IMO. Absolutely beautiful.

I, though, despise the new voice over they've added at the end on the DVD! It's horrible. It perfectly covers the grand finale of the score, which is a crime. Plus it's very poorly worded. Originally (at least on video) it only says "So ends the first part of the war of the ring" as the tripple frame (with those annoying dust particles) run. The new one says something like "Frodo and his friends destroyed evil for ever! And even as this battle ends, so ends the first part of the Lord of the Rings." just as Gandalf is throwing up his sword. Its really an awful hack and I wish they had just left it alone. It might mean that I have to whip out my VHS version to watch that last sequence so I can hear the ending.

Oh well, at least it's LBX at last! Woooo hoooooo!!!

And I haven't mentioned yet, that the score to the Bakshi version ranks among my favorites of all time. It's great standing alone as well as with the film. I think maybe only Peter Gabriel's score to "The Last Temptation of Christ" beats it in my book.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that there are others out there who enjoyed that film as much as I did. I think I've found a source for the script. If I ever get my hands on it I'll report back as to how close it is to the final project. Unfortunately, I don' t think they did a screenplay for Part Two.

Yazad
Yazad is offline   Reply With Quote