Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-08-2002, 01:56 PM   #61
Miriel Stormrider
Enting

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU PAILAN!

What a wonderful thread. You have cured me of my nasty desire to nit-pick even though I love the movie. Rogue Elf must not stand alone. Oscars for every one and everything!!
BTW, bropous, you are absolutely right. Thank goodness for shots at redemption, we all need it at least every now and then.

Now then, the things I totally love about this movie.

Elijah Wood as Frodo. I think he handled a difficult role with great sensitivity and insight. (Not to mention that he's soooo cuuute! Sorry.)

Pippin's accent! I could listen to it all day.

All of the detail. Props, costumes, sets, everything. I am so glad that they went to such effort to make a beliveable Middle-Earth, from the hair on the Hobbits' over-sized feet to the halls of Khazad-Dum. It gives back to the movie some of the depth that had to be left out due to time constraints.
I want those swords! Yowza! I read on the official site that Sting has real elven runes that actually spell something. Cool!

The fighting scenes were awsome. The swordsmanship and archery had me on the edge of my seat, silently cheering on the fellowship. Must get video when it comes out so I can voice my support in a suitable manner. (BTW, did Lurzt's death remind anyone else of Darth Maul and his fate?)

So much that I loved, so little time to write about it. Must stop now.

Last edited by Miriel Stormrider : 01-08-2002 at 01:58 PM.
Miriel Stormrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 03:09 PM   #62
coolismo
Enting

Gollum soundtrack is the best

I do love the music. The Council track is as descriptive piece as you'll ever hear. The awesome intro followed by the Hobbit theme in minor as Frodo proposes to take the ring to Mordor and then a rallying in major as the council rallies to the idea then a wonderrful uniting passage. Wonderful.
The Enya tracks are also excellent.
The Breaking of the Fellowship is also very good. It portrays the breaking as a triumphant moment for Frodo as he passes into his inner quest. Again mixing themes.
There are one or two Wagner rip offs and endless bass variations drowning out choral pieces in some of the orchestrations but this is definately the best part of the movie.
Thanks for the welcome.
lovelove si
coolismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 04:16 PM   #63
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, I bought the CD as well, and although it is GOOD, it ain't GREAT, in my humble Elven Warrior opinion. I think someone esle could have done a better job, and although there are some very beautiful passages, and is good scoring in its own right, I still can't put it up there in the "best" or even "great" category. If there were a weak point in this film, I would vote it to be the score. But that's just me.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 04:55 PM   #64
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Miriel Stormrider
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU PAILAN!

What a wonderful thread. You have cured me of my nasty desire to nit-pick even though I love the movie. Rogue Elf must not stand alone. Oscars for every one and everything!!
BTW, bropous, you are absolutely right. Thank goodness for shots at redemption, we all need it at least every now and then.
You are very welcome and thank you for the kind words.

My job is done here... (leaps into the sky, flys away)

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:12 AM   #65
andustar
Elven Warrior

Bropous: I agree. I was a bit dissapointed as to the score.
(hey, I seem to be agreeing with almost everything you say! this is not normal!)

looking forward to seeing FOTR again (only my second time) despite the fact that I'll be with my mum and I know she won't like it. But I shall ignore that while I watch the film itself... (don't get me wrong, she doesn't think magic is evil or anything she just doesn't like fantasy. She keeps saying she will _try_ and then going "no, sorry, didn't like it". It's so infuriating to have someone sitting next to you that you know will go " well it just isn't my thing" afterwards when you are all hyped up!)