Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-01-2002, 02:03 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

New Zealand the PERFECT choice!

I am so intrigued now with New Zealand...from the quiet, green hills of "The Shire" to the ragged peaks of "Ered Nimrais", from the jagged slopes of the "Misty Mountains", to the deep woods below the Argonath, the Southern Isles are calling to my Entingish blood. Maybe it is there to which the Entwives travelled, before the sundering of the lands by the Western Seas...

No matter what, like my uncle before me going to Australia so many years ago, one day I will take that journey to New Zealand and see for myself this incredibly beautiful land so near the Antarctic shores....

Had this been filmed in America, I would have chosen the San Juan mountains of southern Colorado as the setting for the Misty Mountains. Jagged volcanic peaks, like shark's teeth, thrusting skyward, ancient rock blasted by fire and ice, it is a magical land I would highly recommend to any Tolkien fan. Hope you folks get at least once chance in your lives to see these wonders!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 01:27 AM   #2
Baillie From Bree
Sapling

The country whence came this lovely tale? I name it Lothlorien and Elf-friend.
Baillie From Bree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 10:45 AM   #3
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I would love to go to New Zealand! It was sooooo beautiful in the movie!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 01:23 PM   #4
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

It was very,very beautiful. My dream was to visit Ireland before I saw slides of Versailles, then it was to visit France, now,after the movie, it is to visit New Zealand. I had always imagined New Zealand as a deserty type place...not anywhere as beautiful as the movie showed.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:14 PM   #5
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I was pleasantly surprised as well. I can't believe that I'd never really seen very many pics of New Zealand before seeing this movie. Must be a very well-kept secret.

Secret's out now!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote