Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-2001, 11:10 PM   #1
Quickbeam
Hobbit

the journey of tom bombadil

Tom Bombadil has always been my favorite character in Lord of the Rings. When I learned that he had his own book, I got really excited. Have any of you read the journey of tom bombadil? If you have, whats it like. Should I bother tracking down a copy? Tom Bombadil has always intrigued me, and I wanted to know who he was and where he came from even before I knew about his book.
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 03:01 AM   #2
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

You can find "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" published with several other essays in The Tolkien Reader. Speaking strictly for myself, I was much more impressed with the other writings published in this volume (Leaf by Niggle, On Fairy-Stories). Adventures of TB is written in verse, and I have never been particularly patient with or appreciative of poetry.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 04:40 AM   #3
Varda
Elven Warrior

but isnt that appropriate to a story of tb?
Old 11-23-2001, 11:54 PM   #4
galadriel
Elven Warrior

If you like the fun kind of nonsense poetry that Tom Bombadil is associated with, you'll like The Adventures of Tom Bombadil. I only skimmed the poem (and its sequel, the name of which I can't remember), so I'm not a big expert on them. They are, as I said, nonsensical poems, about the adventures of Tom and other various characters... Old Man Willow, Goldberry... Farmer Maggot even makes an appearance. They're cute.

I personally liked the essays, short stories, and more serious poetry in the Tolkien Reader better. Some of the nonsense poems are good too, but when they get too lengthy I find it hard to stay interested. So I guess it depends on what you like.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 04:22 PM   #5
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I really enjoyed Adventures of Tom Bombadil, but keep in mind it is not a story about Tom, nor is it (as the Tolkien Reader jacket claims) poems in praise of Tom. It is called what it is called because that is the name of the first poem. They're supposed to be Hobbit-children poems translated from the Red Book, and most of them are not about Bombadil at all.
Old 11-24-2001, 04:37 PM   #6
Quickbeam
Hobbit

thanks

hmmm, I think I'm second guessing the book now.
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 05:01 PM   #7
Pippin Took
Sapling

Strider Hmmm

I have a friend readin that book and he is enjoying it even though tom was one of his lesser favourite characters.