Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-11-2001, 11:53 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

dwarves and orc's war

what can someone tell me about the war of dwarves and orcs?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 12:56 PM   #2
KingElessar8
Hobbit

What do you want to know?
KingElessar8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 05:38 PM   #3
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

If i recall it was ABOUT 200 years prior to LOTR

I think Thorin's grand father was killed by some orc's in the misty mountains

were they trying to go back to moria? did they assume that Durin's bane was gone?

was it around mt. gunabad

however i've mixed images about mt. gunabad

one as an orc strong hold the other as a dwarven one

was it one at one time then other at another time?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 11-11-2001, 05:50 PM   #4
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

You don't have LR handy, do you? If you can get your hands on the Appendices, the info. you want is in Of Durin's Folk. The Battle of Azanulbizar and the whole War of the Dwarves and Orcs took place because an aged Dwarf-king in his crazed state (influenced by his Ring, which he gave away before leaving the Mountain) tried to enter Mória and was brutally murdered by the Orkish King Azog and his soldiers. Eventually people from all the Seven Tribes got together and launched a campaign of revenge.
Old 11-11-2001, 06:00 PM   #5
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I've lent my copy to one of the British teachers. BUT, I'll re-acquire it and check it out

thanks

'Dern Helm"

Old 11-11-2001, 09:17 PM   #6
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

I've heard something about Durin I waking at Mt. Gundabad bfore wandering off, and that it used to be a Dwarf-place.

But then the impression I got from LOTR was when Gimli sang about Durin waking up, drinking from yet untasted wells, and then saying how he (Durin) saw the Crown of Durin in Mirrormere. It seemed to suggest Durin awoke near Khazad-dum.
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 06:53 PM   #7
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

Not actually. It doens't say how long Durin wondered around.
Old 11-17-2001, 09:47 PM   #8
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Inoldonil
You don't have LR handy, do you? If you can get your hands on the Appendices, the info. you want is in Of Durin's Folk. The Battle of Azanulbizar and the whole War of the Dwarves and Orcs took place because an aged Dwarf-king in his crazed state (influenced by his Ring, which he gave away before leaving the Mountain) tried to enter Mória and was brutally murdered by the Orkish King Azog and his soldiers. Eventually people from all the Seven Tribes got together and launched a campaign of revenge.
To add a bit more info...

The aged dwarf-king was Thror, Thorin's grandfather. After Smaug took Erebor, Thror eventually gave Thrain the Ring and went to Moria with one retainer. He was killed by Azog, who branded his name on Thror's forehead and tossed a small bag of money to the retainer as payment for carrying tidings of Thror's death to Thrain.

The Dwarves didn't take this very well...

They embarked on a war of revenge that raged throughout the entire Misty Mountains. The Orcs were systematically driven south to Moria, and the final battle took place in the Dimrill Dale. It was at this battle that Thorin received the moniker Oakenshield, as he used an oak limb as a shield after his was lost. Dain slew Azog at the Gates of Moria, and his head was placed on a pike with the money pouch stuffed in his mouth. (I always thought that was a nice touch.) Some of the Dwarves desired at this time to re-occupy Moria, but Dain spoke against the idea, as he felt the presence of the Balrog (Durin's Bane) still lurking within.

The Orcs were greatly reduced in number following this war, and the Mistys were relatively safe for some time.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 09:56 PM   #9
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
was it around mt. gunabad

however i've mixed images about mt. gunabad

one as an orc strong hold the other as a dwarven one

was it one at one time then other at another time?
IIRC, Mt Gundabad was located in the extreme northern Misty Mountains, near where they intersected the Grey Mountains. Very close to Angmar, actually. I don't recall ever reading that it was ever a Dwarven stronghold, but I could be wrong. It was probably involved in the early stages of the war, as the Dwarves were embarked on a war of extermination, and drove all the orcs they could find southwards towards Moria.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Old 11-18-2001, 02:40 PM   #10
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Actually, if I remember it right, it is said in the HoME that Gundabad was the place were Durin first awoke. The very name is of dwarven origin.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 03:04 AM   #11
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

You are correct. That's why I try to be careful to distinguish between what I know and what I think I know. Sorry about the bad info on Gundabad.