Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2001, 09:26 AM   #21
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I just saw the new, full-length trailer and it made going to see the Harry Potter movie worthwhile (only joking, it was a good film, if a little too long).

My friends refuse to go and see the film with me because I will comment on all the bits that were changed for dramatic or streamlining purposes. Oh well. I'll have to convince them I won't, how to lie effectively?
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 04:28 PM   #22
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Poor sot.

I'm getting a whole group of friends to come see the lotr with me. My only problem is balancing out the freshmen with people who have actually _read_ LoTR.

It should be fun, just the same. Got to love empty theatres!
Old 11-18-2001, 09:14 PM   #23
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
Do you mean something like not looking at the Lord of the Rings the same way anymore? I've often thought about this, and at one point I even decided that I wasn't going to see the movies, after seeing the latest trailer I made myself to be the most excited person I know about the movies.

I'll probally be the first person in the entire town to buy the tickets, and first person in the queues for the fellowship of the ring and first person to see it again for a second time. I've convinced a lot of people this will be fantasic, better than Potter, which in the UK is a hard thing to do.

It will visualy change my look the lord of the rings, and the way I think about it too, but I believe it will mostly be for the best
This is an interesting viewpoint. I took a Tolkien class in college and had similar trepidation. Will the scholarly analysis kill the magic of the story? I seriously considered avoiding the class for that reason. Happily, I decided to go for it. The class, far from destroying the magic through overanalyzing the bones in the soup, expanded my perspective on the motivations of the characters and the building of the world.

Similarly, I think that the movie will also expand my perspective. No matter what Jackson chooses to do, he cannot change the published works. His perspectives and interpretations, far from ruining or invalidating mine, will rather give additional depth to them.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 06:32 AM   #24
Selwythe
Elven Warrior

I think Tesseract is trying to say that now, the movie has only had a cult following in us but once it shows on the screen, there'll be an explosion of new fans. Some of these will be genuine people wanting to know more but most of them will be "Oooh, Elijah's co cute" (hey, he's not) or "Tolkien rules" without reading the books. LoTR will not be a secret pleasure but main-stream popcorn entertainment portrayed in the most stigmatizing way. Entmoot will not be an exchange of ideals but a flood of 'newbies' who care more for who plays Frodo instead of who is Frodo. Now, you can speak of Elves and Orcs and Frodos and Gandalfs etc. in a know-it-all way to others and boast about the works of Tolkien but after the movie comes out, the others will go "Frodo? Hah who cares?! Who doesn't know?". The 'secret pleasure' is gone. An example I give is Frankenstein. It misled by a couple of bad movies and modern culture to be a scary ghost story, when it is actually a thought-provoking essay on political and scientific issues. Why, almost every one I know think of Frankenstein as the monster, not the creator.

I drifted off.

I'm sure the movie will be a huge blockbuster. The trailer is evident. All my non-reader friends who caught the trailer in the cinema had their breath taken away. The acting and the CG have been flawless. This will be huge, as huge as Star Wars, though it might be affected with Harry Potter. Television shows in these parts wax lyrical about Harry Potter and totally neglect LoTR. I don't think anyone is expecting it.

And really, what is wrong with a small veer off the beaten track? Lurtz is a good character to up the ante of good vs evil and a climatic battle at the end of the movie. Saruman being killed by a spiked wheel...save your breath for 2003. I don't know how many times I have yawned at Shakespearan plays and movies, because they simply re-enact, word for word, what is in the original script. You need an interpretion, and Jackson's I'm happy with so far. Aragorn and Boromir and the men are exactly how I imagined them to be. Ditto for The Shire, Moria, and everything that has been revealed so far. Well, Elrond's a tad ugly, but his acting is good.

Is the cinematic trailer the same as the latest trailer on LoTR? I thought so but my friend said otherwise.

And yes, if the trailer only plays sound and shows only the loader screen, you need to update QuickTime. It happened to me when I used QuickTime 4 but the problem was immediately rectified when I upgraded to QuickTime 5.

Last edited by Selwythe : 11-19-2001 at 06:42 AM.
Selwythe is offline   Reply With Quote