Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-02-2001, 11:21 AM   #1
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

You know what? I think that I'm going to feel sorry when the movie comes out

Well, you know what I mean (I dont think that it will be bad or anything)

But I think that its fun to just be able to see little bits and peaces.
You know. The excitement builds.

Oh well. (Plays the Enya music again) (And again) (And again) (....)
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 03:53 PM   #2
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Do you mean something like not looking at the Lord of the Rings the same way anymore? I've often thought about this, and at one point I even decided that I wasn't going to see the movies, after seeing the latest trailer I made myself to be the most excited person I know about the movies.

I'll probally be the first person in the entire town to buy the tickets, and first person in the queues for the fellowship of the ring and first person to see it again for a second time. I've convinced a lot of people this will be fantasic, better than Potter, which in the UK is a hard thing to do.

It will visualy change my look the lord of the rings, and the way I think about it too, but I believe it will mostly be for the best
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 09:36 PM   #3
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Lol,
No that is not what I mean.

I dont know how to really express it...

I guess I'm worried that we wont have anything to talk about or that people will leave after that see the movie.
Silly I know, but I just guess that i don't want things to change.
Old 11-03-2001, 02:36 AM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Well a lot of surprises still await us for TT and ROTK, so you must be thinking really long-term...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 07:56 PM   #5
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
What makes me sad is that alot of people might find it stupid to watch a movie where the main charecters are either elves or cant throw a fireball like Harry Potter, they would'nt appreciate the beauty of Tolkien if they read it. From an article on my wall on LOTR PJ left alot of the original stuff in the movie, that means there might be alot of the original beauty left in the movie and if people dont want to see it because of the elves then they'll miss out on the beauty in the books, all because of a misconception of Elves. Hey Comic can you tell me which movie the latest Trailer is on? Like I say alot my stupid computer wont download hardly anything sound related so I need some guidence on which Movie I'm gonna make my family watch next.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 11:50 AM   #6
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I don't know what Video the latest trailer is on, it sounds like you may need to update your version of quicktime if you can only hear the sound.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 06:55 PM   #7
Hapira_Brandybuck
Enting

I'm looking forward to the movies and as I was reading the books (for the second time) I found myself wondering how some of the scenes would be done specifically Weathertop, the attack on the bridge to Rivendell when Frodo passes out and Moria

'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.
Hapira_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 11:51 PM   #8
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I just really hope they won't mutilate the plot. That so often happens with books turned into TV shows or movies. The books are never quite the same to you again. I can understand them cutting, that's necessary. But I really hate when they take away too many key elements and add fluff or romance in their place. I'm looking forward to the movies, but I'm kind of dreading them as well.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 04:33 AM   #9
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

Well, Renille, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. I have it from a reliable source in the Entmoot (OK, it's Darth Tater) that Saruman falls on a spiked wheel and dies that way.....
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 03:53 PM   #10
Miriel Stormrider
Enting

Strider

Easterlinge, I hope that either you or Tater are joking. That's going to have to be one incredible re-write to equal the symbolism and emotion of the original scene.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:23 AM   #11
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

just so long as they dont put the toad in it.

:the toad jumps up high in to the air and comes down on bormear:

WHAM!!!!!

:the director yells: "HEY! DOOFUS! YOUR ON THE WRONG MOVIE!!!!!!!!

:toad: " Oh whoops, sorry about that big guy"

:boromear: "After someone peels me off the floor you sure are gona be sorry!"
Old 11-08-2001, 05:59 PM   #12
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Funny Tess. Actually you dont have to worry about it, PJ had to modefiy the original script ALOT and they kept on going back to the books for the script and all that so I think it wont be TOO far off the books( I read that in Readers Digest, the LOTR article did'nt take as long as I expected it to), and if we fans like it then it'll be all down hill from there.
~J.R.R Tolkien
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 11-09-2001, 04:56 PM   #13
Quazar
Hobbit

I feel that the movies are either going to be 1) bigger than Star Wars will ever aspire to be, or 2) the biggest failure since the dot com crash.
Personaly I hope they don't muck it up and it comes reasonably clost to the movie I have had in my head since I first read the trilogy back in the late 70's.
Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 11:34 PM   #14
Varda
Elven Warrior

well regardless of whether they are actually good or not, the makers already have a lot of fans (us) and they will drag their friends and families along... so they already have a guaranteed clientele (sp?)... even if people go just to poke holes in it because of differences b/w book and movie.. even if it's just to check that they didnt butcher it.. it has enough of a following that i think it cannot be a total failure... and if it IS good (and it sounds like it will be) then it will be a big success
Old 11-10-2001, 12:42 AM   #15
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

If anything, they will at least be better than those HORRIBLE animated things from years and years ago...I'm sorry, but those were awful...and, horror of horrors, it left out Arwen entirely!

I think I know what Tesseract means...kinda like we're all excited now, but what happens when its all over and we've seen them all...Nothing to be excited about anymore!

I really hope they keep with the book as much as you guys say they are...I'll be really upset if they change ANYTHING too drastically!
Old 11-10-2001, 01:29 AM   #16
anduin
Entwife

Quote:
Originally posted by fireworks19
...kinda like we're all excited now, but what happens when its all over and we've seen them all...

I am going on vacation.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 04:49 PM   #17
Quazar
Hobbit

I will agree that the cartoon LOTR wasn't the best storytelling I had ever seen, but at the time animating over real life actors was cutting edge technology, remember this was long before PC's and digital effects. If I remember correctly the producers ran out of money about the middle of 'The Two Towers' and had to crock up an ending.
At the time it was better than nothing, except the movie version in your head.
Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 09:53 PM   #18
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

I dont think it will be a disaster, and we have to consider that the computer graphics have been worked on for years(3 I think), and the CGs that ARE going to be in the movies are going to be subtle or are going to be not so subtle but few, and the actors are either unknown(so we have NO idea how they act)or they are well known and good. Peter Jackson is'nt in the dark when it comes to LOTR and if they really stink then we could laugh it off, but there is a great possiblity it'll be a blockbuster.
~J.R.R Tolkien
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 11-13-2001, 10:26 PM   #19
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
the CGs that ARE going to be in the movies are going to be subtle or are going to be not so subtle but few

Like MAGIC! Right?
Old 11-14-2001, 06:39 PM   #20
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

I guess I dunno I just read alot on it. Oh btw if any of you have'nt been able to see the first trailer check it out at RD.com. I think we might have to wait until December for it to come out but I think it'll be coming soon!
~J.R.R Tolkien
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...