Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-04-2004, 03:16 PM   #21
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

But you wouldn't have needed to prepare all the extra provisions so that would have taken some time off and the first time we saw a Nazgûl with a feel beast as a steed was on The Great River after Gollum had been spotted by Sam.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 03:17 PM   #22
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

I have alwys thought that the best route was grey havans, then ship (with stealty final appraoch) to west or south west og Mordor, and then in through the soutwest pass, away from Gondor and less gaured, where all the supplies and some armies are coming in with much traffic. It would make for a much duller tale.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 03:30 PM   #23
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Maybe but it would still hav been the easiest way.
The easiest way to certain doom, I agree there. In any case that wouldn't have been an argument that could have convinced the Eagles to ferry people straight to Mount Doom. The risk would be just to great.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:35 PM   #24
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I'll admit defeat even if I don't agree.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 09-05-2004 at 02:16 AM.
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 05:20 PM   #25
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

It wouldn't have mattered how fast they are. All it would take is for Sauron to twig that they were trying to get into Mordor. There would be only one reason to do that, to destroy the Ring, and a troop of Orcs in the Sammath Naur would have prevented the Quest's completion. Dammit, Frodo would have had to fly all the way to Mount Doom, land, dismount, climb up to the portal, and go all the way in. That is not a feasible operation with the alarm bells ringing. As for "faster," that was Gwaihir saying, "The North Wind blows, but we shall outfly it." That was Eagle bracodoccio, not anything to do with evading intercepting Nazgul.