Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-23-2000, 11:48 PM   #1
Arathorn II

America , where to go and what to see?

I'm going on a trip to America in 6 months and I have startet to plan where to go and what to see. I'm going to be there for 7 1/2 weeks so I have a lot of time to spend. Anybody that can recomend some places I ought to see?
Old 07-24-2000, 12:16 AM   #2
bmilder

Re: America , where to go and what to see?

Well, what area of the country are you going to? Or are you prepared to go across the country?
Old 07-24-2000, 12:58 AM   #3
Bullroarer

You Should go to....

Lets see

The Empire State Building
All of Washington D.C.
Walt Disney World
Walt Disney Land
6 Flags Theme Parks
Hershy Park
Cedar Point
King's Island
The Space Needle
The Gateway Arch
Coney Island
Miami Beach
Florida in General
California in General
Ben's House
Tater's house
Tristan Hold it! Typo here!
Busch Gardens (Both of them)
New York City
Grand Canyon
Mt. Rushmore
Sears Tower
The Rockies
The Big Easy (New Orleans)
Hollywood
Brooklyn Bridge
Las Vegas (GAMBLE HAPPY!!!!!)
Boldt Castle
St. Augustine
Baseball Hall of Fame
San Diego Zoo
New York's Skys****ers
C&O Canal
Kennedy Space Center
Louisiana Superdome
Hoover Dam
Golden Gate Bridge
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Statue of Liberty
Tehachapi Wind Farms
Watts Towers
Grand Coolee Dam
Boeing Factory
Boston
Atlanta
Chicago
Santa Fe
Salt Lake City
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Seattle
Th Everglades
Grand Canyon National Park
Yellowstone National Park
Yosemite National Park
And a whole lot more
And if you happen to stray into Canada:
Skydome
CN Tower
Canadians please add to this list
Old 07-24-2000, 01:15 AM   #4
thrawn96

Re: You Should go to....

Uh...I dont think he can go to all of those.

Yeah, visit Disney World or Land. Either one. I love San Diego: the Zoo and the Wild Animal Park, the culture, the real Mexican food and amazing seafood (I had the best steak of fish there ever in my life-fresh Alaskan Halibut), and all the other stuff in Southern California. Also, you must go see New York, the capitol of the world, and Washington DC.
Old 07-24-2000, 02:29 AM   #5
anduin

Re: You Should go to....

What type of things interest you? Camping, museums, natural history, history in general, hiking, people watching, music, outdoor festivals, sports, shopping??

What do you want to get out of this trip? What do you want to know about America? Are you from the US?

There are many things that could factor into the ideal vacation. I love traveling the States. There is a regular treasure trove of sites to see, each with different things to offer. It is best to think about the things that you enjoy or want to learn more about, then build your vacation around that. For example, I like to camp. The US has a great system of national and state parks. You can experience some of the countryside while taking in major attractions, and it is cheaper too. Maybe camping isn't your thing, so you might like to try some bed and breakfasts. I think that staying in a hotel is fine, but they are quite impersonal and offer little more than a place to sleep. While B&Bs (mostly cheaper than hotels) provide more personal service and serve as an anchor to the town that you are visiting. The hosts usually have excellent recommendations for excursions and in the evening, you can sit around in the common room, reliving your days adventures. A very nice way to see America. What ever your interests, they can be satisfied in just about every part of the US. A good place to start is a Rand/McNally Atlas of the US, Canada, and Mexico (probably available at amazon.com). Contained within is a detailed road map of major highways, byways, and out of the ways. Also listed is some of the best attractions that North America has to offer. and where they are located on the map.

Nice list Bull!!
Old 07-24-2000, 12:03 PM   #6
Bullroarer

One Thing

Do any of you know how long it took me to make that list? And this is all the stuff off the top of my head.
Old 07-24-2000, 12:59 PM   #7
noldo

Re: One Thing

The Grand Canyon ruled.
Old 07-24-2000, 01:20 PM   #8
Arathorn II

Bullroarer: Thanks for the list, but I have not got that good time, but I'll write them down.

anduin: Camping, history in general, outdoor festivals, sports, rafting.(I love camping an wildlife)

No, I'm not from the US, I'm from Norway.

I arrive in Florida, then we are going to Los Angeles and for the last week I'm in New York.

The Grand Canyon is al ready on my list, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-24-2000, 03:02 PM   #9
etherealunicorn

re: Florida

I have not been there in years, mind you, but Sea World in Orlando (well, near Orlando )was great. I liked it far better than Disney World, though I would like to see Epcot and Universal Studios.

I don't know how keen you are on nature stuff just for itself, but you might check out the Everglades. I got outvoted on that one when we went to Florida, so I have never seen them, but I would think that it would be pretty nice for wildlife and scenic views.

I wish I could recommend a nice sugar-sand beach for you there, but someone more familiar with Florida beaches will have to do that. A cousin of mine did tell me once that Destin was terrific for diving, but I don't know for myself how true that would be now.

Have a great trip. I hope that you enjoy yourself very much. One tip for you, though...wear yourself some loose, comfortable clothing that is pretty lightweight. It has been HOT here lately.

Have a nice day
Old 07-24-2000, 03:15 PM   #10
anduin

What route will you be taking? If you are going from Florida to LA you won't be seening much of the upper part of the US. You could drive up the costal highway of Califonia towards Washington State, then make your way across to New York. BTW, will you be driving? If you are going to be in the South, you should definitely check out New Orleans. Also, there is some great camping in the Rocky Mountains, especially in Colorado, not to mention some of the best and most dangerous white water rafting in the US on the Colorado river. On the way thru, you should try to pass through St. Louis and see the Arch. You can maybe catch a baseball game and go to Busch Gardens (amusement park, roller costers) while in St. Louis. Philidelphia, Pennsylvania has a lot of historical significance. It was there that the Declaration of Independence was signed and where Ben Franklin (discoverer of electricity among other things) lived. If you had time, you could travel into upstate New York and go camping in the Adirondacs, a six million acre natural paradise. Plenty of canoeing and camping there. Man, there is just so much to do. If you could give us a general idea of the route you plan to take, I'm sure we could help even further.
Old 07-25-2000, 03:19 PM   #11
Arathorn II

My route...

I don't know what route we'll be taking, that's why I asked you , the only thing I know is that I'm going to Grand Canyon, that's for sure!! As for the rest of the route, nothing is planed yet. So if you have a place to recomend please do so! Thanks for the list, but I ned a short discription about what the different places are and what there is to see there, some of them where totaly unknown to me... Thank you for your help!
Old 07-25-2000, 03:31 PM   #12
bmilder

Re: My route...

Well you need to go to Walt Disney World in Florida. I'm sure you know what that is, but if for some reason you don't, it's the world's best assortment of theme parks, pools, and shops.
Old 07-25-2000, 04:06 PM   #13
Bullroarer

Arathorn II

I can get all the directions and maps you need (I have some pretty nifty Map Programs), but it might take a while. How about I hike on over to your board and continue this discussion. OK?
Old 07-25-2000, 08:21 PM   #14
Darth Tater

Re: Arathorn II

Boston
Old 07-26-2000, 11:52 AM   #15
Arathorn II

Many suggestions here. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2000, 07:24 PM   #16
Arathorn II

Yaiks!!!!! I just found out how mutch the trip is going to cost +/- about 26000 Nkr that's somthing like $ 3666... if I figured this out correct, 1 dollar = 7.5kr..
Old 07-27-2000, 12:07 PM   #17
anduin

As of this morning the cost of 26000 Kroners is $2,982.20. $1.00=8.71Nkr.

What I am concerned about is if that will be enough money to go across country and back. With gas prices as high as they are right now...on average about $1.70 per gallon.....gas will cost about $300.....maybe more. This is taking into account that the mileage will be about 5576 (2752 from say Miami to LA and 2824 from LA to NYC). An average gas tank holds about 15 gallons of gas and the gets somewhere around 30 miles to the gallon. If you decide to rent an SUV then the figure of $300 dollars could double. So that would leave you with about $2700. Divide that by how many days you will be in the US (180days), and you will have about $15 a day to live off of. Some camp grounds cost that much, but on average they cost more like $12. And of course none of this would include the plane ticket over here.

I hope you don't think that I am trying to spoil your trip.....just giving you some things to think about. You gotta eat you know.
Old 07-27-2000, 01:44 PM   #18
Arathorn II

Well, I'm not the one that has to think about the gas problem, where I live 1 gallon cost $4.60.. and I'm not going to drive from LA to NYC, I'm not that fond of driving. $2,982.20. is the prise for the fligts Oslo-Amsterdam-Miami and LA to NYC and NYC-Amsterdam-Rome and then back to Oslo, this is, luckely for me, paid by my fathers company. As for eating, I can manage without food for a while Just joking.. What's a SUV? As for food I estimate that I'll have about $2296.21 to bring with me, in case I want to eat You have in now way spoiled my trip, I find your informatin verry helpfull! If you have any type of information you might think can be usefull for me, please let me know!

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2000, 09:23 PM   #19
dogtrot

If you come to montana we will throw out the welcome mat for you aragorn. lots of camping in some of the most pristine wilderness areas in the states. Interstate 90 runs straight across the state and it's a major east to west route from Seattle to the east. I would avoid "DizNee" land as you won't see any of the real america in there, well except for the commercial, over-capitalized, flashy side. Space Mountain roller coaster sure was fun when i was a kid though.
Old 07-31-2000, 01:42 PM   #20
Lost in Coruscant

Where to go:
Kansas City.

What to see:
Me.

j/k.

The Sea World in San Diego is fantastic too.