Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-04-2001, 04:08 PM   #1
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Sams the Hero

Post contains spoilers: for Mount Doom chapter and end of the story

Well I have just finished the book and does anyone else agree with me that Sam was the real hero of the book? He over came the power of the ring through the love for his master and was infact extremely brave at the end. But I do think Frodo should have been killed off. That bit at the end where he disappears on to the boat was a bit cheep i though mind you it probably had some deep meaning.
Play Girl

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 04:53 PM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Lots of people think Sam was 'the real hero'. I think their both heroes (in different ways and in certain senses), but I actually think Frodo did more overall than Sam did. Of the Fellowship, I think Gandalf accomplished the most, with Frodo and Aragorn following, then Sam, then Merry and Pippin and Boromir, then Gimli and Legolas last (according to Tolkien, Legolas 'probably accomplished least of the Fellowship').

Why do you think the ending was cheap?
Old 10-10-2001, 09:39 PM   #3
arynetrek
Elf Lord

i think frodo & sam needed each other to complete the quest - frodo would have given up to hopelessness (or died) without his servant, and while sam is surprisingly brave, i think without his master he wouldn't have had the drive to go alone. in the scene where sam thinks frodo has died, he promises to complete his master's task but does so because he knows the company as a whole cannot fail (at this point he thinks he's the last of the company) and that's what frodo would have wanted - and after it is done sam is ready to die at frodo's side.

sam & frodo are both heroes IMO. frodo takes on teh quest, but sam sees that it gets completed.

aryne *
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote