Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-11-2004, 08:53 PM   #21
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hey, SGH, where did the Sil "help" threads go? There were 2 very good ones. Were they lost in that server crash? I don't see them.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:29 PM   #22
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
Hey, SGH, where did the Sil "help" threads go? There were 2 very good ones. Were they lost in that server crash? I don't see them.
Hmmmm, do you know the names of them?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:37 PM   #23
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

One was something like "help me please", another I think was "reading the sil for the first time", but I'm not sure.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 02-11-2004, 09:38 PM   #24
Rían

I just looked again - there seems to be a LOT missing - there's only 2 pages of threads!!

Old 02-11-2004, 10:16 PM   #25
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I just looked again - there seems to be a LOT missing - there's only 2 pages of threads!!
Well, here is the one thread I think you are talking about.

http://entmoot.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8766

The other should be around. I show more than two pages. If you go to the bottom of the main page and go to 'from the beginning' or 'the last year' it shows all the threads.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:54 AM   #26
Rían

oh, ok - thanks, I'll give it a try SGH to the rescue again!

Old 02-12-2004, 10:34 AM   #27
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
To everyone that has started the Sil -

Finish it! Finish it! Go! Go!

It's WELL worth it. And even more worth it the second and third and fourth and .... etc etc times Then after that, you can start on Unfinished Tales (highly recommended, after the Sil) and the HOME (History of Middle Earth) series!

There's another coupla threads in this forum about helping people to get thru the Sil. I'll try to find one and bump it up. Many people find it v. helpful to take notes on the names.

And if you really want to be cool then correct the geneology at the back - JRRT's final word was that Gil-Galad was NOT the son of Fingon, but of Orodreth, who in turn was NOT the son of Finarfin, but of Angrod. But you prob. don't want to worry about that until after you get thru the Sil.
Wow.... I feel strangely motivated....
I have the Unfinished Tales and it's driving me crazy. They call out to me from my bookcase, but I'm determined not to start on them until I've finished the Sil...
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 05:00 PM   #28
Ruinel
Banned

What can I say... The Sil is my favorite book for a reason.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 09:52 PM   #29
Maedhros
The Tall

The great thing about the Published Silmarillion is that CT did a great job in editing lots of his fathers work.
The great thing about the book the depiction of the struggle between the Ñoldor and Morgoth. That the heros of The Silmarillion are bigger than life when you compared them to those of The Lord of the Rings.

The important thing to remember is that there is a ton of additional information outside of the Published Silmarillion, which gives the reader the ability to determine for himself (thanks to CT) the divergences in the stories that his father wrote and what he edited in the book.
Is Orodreth the brother of Finrod? Is Orodreth a valid sindarin name? When was the Nauglam*r made?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote