Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-30-2000, 08:14 PM   #1
mithrandirr

WOW!!

Just got The Silmarillion and am reading it for the first time.

Awesome book.
Old 12-31-2000, 01:02 AM   #2
Grand Admiral Reese

Re: WOW!!

It is truly an awe-inspiring book. All the action in it. I won't spoil any of it for you, though. But its all amazing.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:06 PM   #3
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

IM reading it just now and finding it quite hard to read acually, not because of the story or anything, but the way its written. Its hard to get used to. But im getting there!

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Good luck with your journey!
Old 01-23-2004, 03:29 AM   #5
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli

The Silmarillion is, in my opinion, one of the greatest books of all time, both because of the way it is written, and because of the incredible content. If I was born and abandoned to and raised by wolves (and taught by them to read), thus having not been influenced by christian culture, or anything else (except the pack), I would actually have believed that stuff, it would have been my Bible (until I got found by people and they told me that JRR Tolkien was just an author, and they destroyed my entire religion). EXTREMELY good book.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:48 AM   #6
Lord Boromir
Hobbit

it can be difficult to read, but it is really great, one of the best books ever!! Hope you like it!
Old 01-23-2004, 05:18 AM   #7
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Twista
IM reading it just now and finding it quite hard to read acually, not because of the story or anything, but the way its written. Its hard to get used to. But im getting there!
Stick with it! The first chapters are the worst ones, or so most people say.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:26 AM   #8
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Stick with it! The first chapters are the worst ones, or so most people say.
They are, I almost gave up completely. I'm glad I didn't, because then I would never have read LotR later, thinking LotR would be equally bad
But the Silmarillion is getting better, and after a few chapters you don't want to put the book away.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:37 PM   #9
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
They are, I almost gave up completely. I'm glad I didn't, because then I would never have read LotR later, thinking LotR would be equally bad
But the Silmarillion is getting better, and after a few chapters you don't want to put the book away.
Yup, after the first 50-100 pages it reads much more smooth...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:55 PM   #10
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Im getting there now lol... I wouldnt say it flows easier, i htink you just come accustomed to it better.

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 03:05 PM   #11
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Twista
Im getting there now lol... I wouldnt say it flows easier, i htink you just come accustomed to it better.
It does - in the first pages I didn't undderstand anytihng when I first read. The other parts are much easier - I'd say from the third chapter.

I just love the Sil. It's a great book. If you didn't understand some parts re-read them after you finish the book.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 04:08 AM   #12
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

it is hard to read because of the absolute lack of dialogue. but it's like dickens or austen - at first it's a struggle, but then you just get used to it and focus on the story rather than the format.

just wait until you get to chapter 21 - i think i saw that turin guy on jerry springer this morning... j/k please don't hurt me (*aside* i don't actually watch jerry springer... no really!)

but seriously it's an awesome book. i was so moved, which has only occured from a few books (including lotr, of course).

Last edited by luinilwen : 02-04-2004 at 04:10 AM.
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 06:10 AM   #13
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I'm actually also tying to read it now. It's such a well-written book, I just don't want to stop reading! I'm taking notes at the same time (don't know if I'm strange or something.. But there are so many names!! )

But it's absolutely one of the greatest pieces in literature. It's worth the struggle!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 06:25 AM   #14
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerdanel
I'm taking notes at the same time (don't know if I'm strange or something.. But there are so many names!! )
That's actually a very good idea - I don't think I would have made it through without the notes in the index. I also found the family trees extremely useful.

It can be a bit too much like the bible in that sense: "Hador begat Galdor and Gundor, Galdor begat Hurin and Huor, Hurin began Turin, Huor begat Tuor, Tuor begat Earendil, Earendil begat Elrond and Elros. Boromir on the other hand begat..."
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 07:13 AM   #15
Nerdanel

I know! Lots and lots of names!
I've written in the familytrees too, names that aren't there. And yes, the index is very helpful.

Thank you Christopher Tolkien!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-04-2004, 11:48 AM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

A suggestion that may help you as you struggle through it: you may get some clarification and understanding by following with some of the posted chapters here in the Sil project, that are now all in the sub forum up to chapter 19. You should go to only the chapters you have completed. Do not jump ahead in the posted chapters, because it will ruin the story for you, but reading the actual chapters in the book and then reading the intros and discussions in the project of the chapters you have read already in the book might be helpful.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 04:31 PM   #17
Nerdanel

Thank you, SGH! That's a great idea; the taking notes process is very slow..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-09-2004, 10:51 AM   #18
Ellesime Ganascient
Sapling

i just love the silmarillion but i must also say i love even the first pages...
well i'm strange i know... for an example even if i love tolkien and his books i don't stand reading the hobbit... :look:

*run away*
Ellesime Ganascient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:49 AM   #19
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Unfortuantly I've only ever got half way through.
I had to put it down because my work load was building up, and I haven't had time to start it again.
Then my sister took it with her to uni ...... I knew she was up to something!
But I'm going to start it again soon. And I don't care this time, if my work gets neglected. I loved the first half, and I'm determined to finish it!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:50 PM   #20
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

To everyone that has started the Sil -

Finish it! Finish it! Go! Go!

It's WELL worth it. And even more worth it the second and third and fourth and .... etc etc times Then after that, you can start on Unfinished Tales (highly recommended, after the Sil) and the HOME (History of Middle Earth) series!

There's another coupla threads in this forum about helping people to get thru the Sil. I'll try to find one and bump it up. Many people find it v. helpful to take notes on the names.

And if you really want to be cool then correct the geneology at the back - JRRT's final word was that Gil-Galad was NOT the son of Fingon, but of Orodreth, who in turn was NOT the son of Finarfin, but of Angrod. But you prob. don't want to worry about that until after you get thru the Sil.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote