Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-12-2004, 09:08 PM   #41
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I don't remember there being much other space to sleep on. But I've only seen RotK twice, so I might be wrong about that.
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 02:27 AM   #42
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by luinilwen
how come, despite the fact that Elrond is emptying Rivendell of his folk, there just happens to be a couple of swordsmiths on hand when he on a whim desides to fix Aragorn's sword? (which he shouldn't even have, *grumble*)

wow, his power of premonition must have been working well that day!
They weren't emptying Rivendell, only some Elves were leaving...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 03:14 AM   #43
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
This is a small thing, but it annoys me: How come Sam and Frodo sleep so close to the edge of the cliff in the ROTK (when they're going up the stairs)? One bad dream (and Frodo would probably be having many of those) and a turn over and he'd be falling to the ground. There goes the whole quest (assuming Frodo was the only one who could complete the quest).
In the book they climb all three stairs at once and camp at the top, in the pass.

Movie-wise, I have no real explanation, except that it is possible to do that. That was (conveneintly) the only camping space in that area.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 04:35 AM   #44
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
In the book they climb all three stairs at once and camp at the top, in the pass.

Movie-wise, I have no real explanation, except that it is possible to do that. That was (conveneintly) the only camping space in that area.
Perhaps they could have found a safer place, or they could have huddled closer to the cliff face. Frodo sleeps right at the edge if I remember correctly. I don't think it would have worked in the books because the hobbits are clearly afraid of sleeping in the flets in Lothlorien, but we don't see that scene in the movie.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:52 PM   #45
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

In RotK, in that gigantic tent, there is some festival among the Rohirrim and the Dunedain. Merry and Pippin dance on the tables here and sing, "The only brew of the brave and true/ comes from the Green Dragon!"

To me, that is beyond 'How come', but 'How dare they!?' While all the ancient and glorious armies are preparing for a doomed battle, they declare that the only bravery they know is in the Shire hobbits. As good natured as it was, that was a terrible thing to say.