Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2004, 12:52 PM   #1
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

How comes......

This is a post for if you can think of any how comes????

heres mine: How comes in the fellowship of the ring it takes flibbin half an hour to kill that troll in Moria, yet in the return of the king 1 swing of Gandalfs sword he drops them AND THEY WERE ARMOURED!!!!?????? whats goin on?
Old 01-23-2004, 05:05 PM   #2
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Probably for the same reason that its so hard to kill one lone terminator with all the guns and bombs and exploding trucks you can muster but in the future when there are armies of them attacking all you need to do is shoot them once and they blow up.

Theres a rule in movie making. The time it takes to dispatch any given enemy is directly proportional to inverse of the number of enemy involved in the scene

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:18 PM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

... otherwise known as a giant plot hole.

Good question Turgon.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

all i have to say is hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....can anyone think of any others?

oh yea. how come the elves from lorien came to helms deep?
according to the book lorien was under attack anyway from the forces of Orcs from mirkwood so????
Old 01-24-2004, 03:10 PM   #5
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Turgon_Turambar
all i have to say is hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....can anyone think of any others?

oh yea. how come the elves from lorien came to helms deep?
according to the book lorien was under attack anyway from the forces of Orcs from mirkwood so????
I think that was merely done to tie the stories together...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 03:48 PM   #6
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

in other words: another plot hole.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 04:01 PM   #7
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

How come in the charge by Eomer's boys at Helm's Deep Saruman's forces didn't just hold their spears in line and skewer the Rohirrim's horsies?

(In the book,remember, Erkenbrand's lads charged on foot).

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 01-24-2004 at 04:02 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:21 PM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Any self-respecting foot soldier would try to do something like that.

Maybe the orcs were more disorganized, or dumber than in the book? I don't actually have a good answer to any of these questions, probably because there was a reason wrote his book the way he did, and it was unwise to change it without considerable thought.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-25-2004, 02:20 AM   #9
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

how come the uraks carrying merry and pippin can smeel aragorn from so far away but cant smell the roherion (sp) when they aree way closer (and i know this is a movie only thing)

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 06:44 AM   #10
Eärloth
Elven Warrior

because they were more focussed on battle at helm's deep...besides, do you honestly think aragorn bathes as much as the rohirrim ?

how come they had Faramir take Frodo & Sam to Osgiliath, especially lacking the scene featuring him, Denethor & Boromir (David Wenham, LORD of the puppy eyes! Why are we lacking of the puppy eyes?)?

Telperinai pennar niei rossenen,
iéni únótimai be m?*ri Aiaro!
Man erca óre nio ettuccuba?
S?* mapuba Ulmo ciria ma
be findi-falla; Baradis mentuba
i Elestel i en tulia me
Annúne pella, nimpei srestanai
or helle cúna, helle rácina.
Nan merin minia lóte elanar
an sire cenin Ennor tellabe.
Namárie! Autame Balinórena,
Ennórelo autai! Namárie!
Eärloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 09:17 AM   #11
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

Just speaking of the film, I know the book has none of these problems. But as the resident Tolkien buff in my family and circle of friends here are some that I have been repeatedly asked:

-How come Aragorn can hear the orcs “less than a day ahead” by listening to the ground yet in Rohan he (and the others) don’t know there are hundreds of horses coming over the ridge until they are very nearly run over?

-Why does Gollum say the wraiths cannot be killed (“oh no you cannot kill them”) if they die when they are stabbed? Why does it matter if it is a man or a woman doing the stabbing?

-Why does an eye want a ring?

-Why is the audience told “the quest will claim (Frodo’s) life if he doesn’t die? (he just sails away on a ship with Gandalf)

-How does Gondor get rebuilt for Aragorn’s coronation? (which must have happened immediately after the battle since Frodo says it was 13 months to the day when they return home.)

-Why does Bilbo tell a story about trolls turning to stone in the daylight when there are lots of trolls out in daylight throughout the film.

-Why are there catapults on the walls of Gondor but nothing ready to throw? All they had was their own broken masonry.

-Why does Gandalf have to tell the soldiers of Middle-earth’s greatest city of men that it is not really a good idea to shoot arrows at the wooden base of the siege towers and that perhaps they should shoot the trolls pushing them.

-Why does no one realize Grond is battering ram until they swing it at the gate? It seems to take from day to night to get it into position yet no one is anywhere near the gate until after the first swing.

There are so many more too.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:40 AM   #12
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

why did you bother seeing the movie? or watching any movie for that matter.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:47 AM   #13
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

HAAAAAAHAHAHAA!!! seriously!! I only really have 1 answer for all your how comes....

The Trolls in the light may have been Olog-Hai. They were a special breed of Trolls who were smarter and more agile than normal ones and could stand the sun if their masters will were directly on them, which in doubt it was as his concentration was fixed on the siege. But all the others jus made me laugh.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:53 AM   #14
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

squinteyedsoutherner, what is up with you man? IF you were any self respecting Tolkien fan, or even not even read the books and had just seen the films, i think the majority of those question would be answered in a second. Please say your not being serious!...

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:55 AM   #15
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Originally posted by squinteyedsoutherner
But as the resident Tolkien buff....

HAHAHAHA i just noticed that.... i have some suggestions of what you could change that to, but i wont bcus im not nasty lol.

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

Old 01-25-2004, 04:09 PM   #16
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

Alright Twista

How was movie witch king killed?

Why can Aragorn hear orcs miles away but not hundreds of horses a few feet away?

(By the way, I think I know my Tolkien, I was refering to the fact that the changes in the film's screenplay have left many things unanswered for someone who doesn't already know the story. Perhaps you misunderstood me.)

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 01-25-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:35 PM   #17
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Are you referring to when the Three Hunters were challenged by Eomer and his men? Because they knew they were coming.

And in the movie, the Witch-King was killed by Eowyn, with Merry's help. (Like the books, fortunately.)
Quote:
Old 01-25-2004, 06:13 PM   #18
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

yes yes yes and the whole 'no man can kill me' is made significant because she is a woman. meh meh meh lol. Anyways how you doin Nurv?

Old 01-25-2004, 06:29 PM   #19
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel

And in the movie, the Witch-King was killed by Eowyn, with Merry's help. (Like the books, fortunately.)
but unfortunately the witch king is killed because she is a woman.

How come in HD theoden says brace the gates, and when there manned and have closed the hole in the gates he yells retreat.
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 06:33 PM   #20
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

No, the only reason the witch king was killed in the book was because Merry’s sword (taken from the barrow-downs) had the power to momentarily make the witch king vulnerable to a regular sword, in other words Eowyn’s stroke.

“But glad would he have been to know it's fate who wrought it slowly long ago in the North Kingdom when the Dunadain were young and chief among their foes was the dread realm of Angmar and it's sorcerer King. No other blade, not though mightier hands had wielded it, would have dealt that foe a wound so bitter”
ROTK

On Weathertop Strider tells Sam

“This was the stroke of Frodo’s sword (holding a piece of the black cloth from the witch king’s robe) The only hurt that it did to his enemy I fear, for it is unharmed, but all blades perish that pierce that dreadful King. More deadly was the name of Elbereth" Frodo's sword had no effect on the wraith.

Take away Merry’s sword and the death of the wraith doesn’t make sense unless movie wraith Can be slain (which would be a change from the book and would also conflict with Gollum's words "no you can't kill them" . Tolkien says in Letters if Merry had stabbed the witch king with that sword on weathertop the same thing would have happened there that happened on the Pelennor fields.

Book witch king is killed because of Merry's sword not because Eowyn is a woman. The fact she was a woman makes his death still fit the prophesy, which is not the same thing.

As for Eomer and the riders, yes in the book they spotted the riders a long way off, Legolas even counted them. But in the film they are taken completely by surprise, there is no indication whatsoever given that they knew rider’s were coming over the hill.

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 01-25-2004 at 06:41 PM.