Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-10-2003, 03:59 PM   #21
Elf Girl
Lurker

We already know he doesn't swear fealty to Theoden, so I suppose he goes to Gondor with Pippin.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:27 PM   #22
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Oh. Now I know that. *mopes in corner*

I loved that part of the book.
And this means Merry won't kill/help Eowyn defeat the Witch-King.

That completely sucks rocks.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:13 AM   #23
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

*sigh*
dissappointed, that's all I can say

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:49 PM   #24
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
We already know he doesn't swear fealty to Theoden, so I suppose he goes to Gondor with Pippin.
but i SWEAR i saw a clip or something like that with a pic of him on his knee and Theoden "swearing" him ya know with the sword and all and if hes with pippen wont this totally screw up pippins little growing up time.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:58 PM   #25
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
But we also see clips of Merry riding with the Rohirrim... and we see Gandalf and Pippin (just the two of them) riding into Minas Tirith. How do we know Merry doesn't swear fealty to Theoden?

Don't get too up in arms folks.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 06:09 PM   #26
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Obviously Jackson changed the movie so much - does it really matter anymore? Pippin may ride with Eowyn, but he may never swear fealty to Theoden. Pippin looks into the palantir - but it has been turned into an overhyped action/horror scene. More of the same, more of the same.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 06:14 PM   #27
Silmarien
Sapling

I saw in one of those official movie companion books (or whatever they are called) that the palantir scene takes place in Edoras.

I have read posts on another forum (written by people who have seen it) that Merry doesn't swear allegiance. On the other hand, he's shown doing it in the trailer. I'm forced to conclude that we'll probably see the swearing of allegiance in the Extended Edition.

Silmarien
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 06:19 PM   #28
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
But we also see clips of Merry riding with the Rohirrim... and we see Gandalf and Pippin (just the two of them) riding into Minas Tirith. How do we know Merry doesn't swear fealty to Theoden?
It's mentioned in the review posted by me below, in the 'new movie review reveals major changes' thread.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:56 PM   #29
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Man you all get so bent out of shape over the smallest things, jeez...

BTW that is clearly NOT Minas Tirith, it is Meduseld, plus all the spoilers have said it is Meduseld as well...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 01:05 PM   #30
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Didn't you mean Merry JD?

Well I don't know how obvious it is. It could have been Minas Tirith, but it is better if it's Medusaled. Then it's closer to the book. (Maybe they still do Gandalf's rock pillow, even though they're in-doors.)

Then, Merry would still have a chance to swear fealty to Theoden and ride with Eowyn. I like your theory, it's heartening and it makes sense.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 12-12-2003, 01:20 PM   #31
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel

With PJ&Co one can never be sure.

Although some of the changes said to take place in LOTR:ROTK do not sound encouraging, I will wait till I see the movie before I review the film.

Dúnedain,

If there only were minor changes from the book to film, I do not think many people would mind as much.

Added to some of the more drastic changes that have occured in the films (the minor changes) only adds "salt to the wounds" (figuratively of course )

Hopefully the film will exceed everyone's highest expectations and be a very good film adaptaion of LOTR:ROTK.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 02:12 PM   #32
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:

Well I don't know how obvious it is. It could have been Minas Tirith, but it is better if it's Medusaled. Then it's closer to the book. (Maybe they still do Gandalf's rock pillow, even though they're in-doors.)

Then, Merry would still have a chance to swear fealty to Theoden and ride with Eowyn. I like your theory, it's heartening and it makes sense.
yes - I meant Merry. But as Mithrind1r said - with PJ it's hard to tell and I still have a hard time telling Pippin and Merry apart in the movies.

Dunedain - it's not getting bent out of shape - with the number of changes jackson has made - the movie is becoming pretty much unrecognizable from the book and the chnages have distorted the story. As demonstrated by this scene - Jackson again does over the top action sequence. Looks similar to the exorcism crap.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 03:42 PM   #33
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Grr, I can't make it work. I hate dialup.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:56 PM   #34
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
It's not a theory it's a fact, lol. Read any of the people who have written reviews that included spoilers. They speak of this scene happening in Meduseld. Also watch any trailer, Merry does ride with Eowyn.

Besides, outside of all that above info I listed, look at the rooms in that clip. That is no "white city". If you compare the look of that room with the other clips of Rohan they look extremely similar. On the contrary if you look at that clip and compare it to any clips of Minas Tirith, they look nothing alike.
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-12-2003, 06:35 PM   #35
Elf Girl
Lurker

I looked up the 'fealty' referance in the review here. It says not to expect the pledging of fealty, 'or any of that plot line'. I don't know if 'that plot line' would include riding with Eowyn, but I suspect it does.

I presume the trailers include things from the Extended cut.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:36 PM   #36
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

No the fealty does not include the riding with Eowyn/Dernhelm, that IS in the movie as has been noted by many people who have seen the movie already in advanced screenings...

--Linaewen
Old 12-13-2003, 11:46 AM   #37
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Although I dislike many of Jackson's changes to the movie (especially those of the nature of Arwen, Faramir, and in some ways Theoden) I don't think I could have ever expected a better production of the movie, They had the right idea in alot of the scenes (e.g. Helm's Deep, The Entmoot, Edoras,etc..). They spent alot of time getting the movie together and for the most part they did a very good job as far as making a movie, and maybe a little below average job of making the movie accurate to the book. Most movies made from books are wildly inaccurate.

There were some discrepancies from the book but that certainly doesn't make jackson an idiot. I have heard many people tell me there favorite charachter was Arwen, of course this suprised me, but it made me realize that jackson knew exactly what he was doing. Jackson realized the majority of the movie-going population 1.) are not very bright 2.) Have never read the books. If you think people like good plot's and not much action then explain why The Rock was so popular. The thing is Jackson is selling a movie to mostly stupid people, and his principal objective is not to make a movie accurate to LOTR the book, it is to make money. Which he did quite well.

I don't mean to be lying in the catch but Jackson did put ALOT of work into this, as did many other people and while it is frustrating to hear people go about as if they're experts on LOTR when they haven't so much as opened the book at least they have been able to access some of the enjoyment they could not obtain because of there unintelligence and illiteracy.

I myself like the movies just fine, If you can stomach the changes, there's much to enjoy.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 10:53 PM   #38
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Actually, I erroneously thought that before. I had (probably) wrongly assumed the the Palantir clip takes place in Minas Tirith. Someone pointed out to me that it's probably in Medusaled. Not only does this make more sense, but it allows for Merry's story line to continue.
I was in Chapters today and skimmed through the RotK visual companion. It showed:
Merry swearing fealty to Theoden, Merry riding with Dernhelm, and Pippin looking very Prince of the Halflings-ish in Gondorian armour.

Now that's a relief!
Quote:
Old 12-14-2003, 11:52 AM   #39
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Good to hear. We mustn't get carried away before we the movie, there's just no point.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote