FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-05-2003, 04:48 PM   #21
Cassius
Enting

Gimli

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Your opinions don't mean **** to me.
Hmm, I would say the same thing, but I am not the Lucifer of sweatpants and have a small amount of class and articulation. As to who I am, i MIGHT tell you if i thought that you wouldn't try and lynch me for having my own opinions! geez man.

as to the IP adress, thranduil is a classmate of mine and we log on from the school IP, which has only one. if that isn't good enough for you than I am truly sorry that your skull is too thick to accept the truth.

And I thought YOU were an adult...

-Don't understand, Just comprehend.
(Cassius)
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 05:23 PM   #22
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

The books are the true master piece. The books are the 'Bible' of the whole thing. Tolkien's work is the main focal point.
In order to make such a great, wonderful work into a film, some changes have to be made. Peter Jackson and his co-writers made many changes- some, I will most heartily declare, were unneeded, and, IMO, stupid. However, if I was to make the movies myself, and cut things that needed to be cut and added things that I felt needed to be added, you all would probably be putting my work down for its major deviations from Tolkien. But a book can be read in many different ways by many different people, and interpreted from at least 6 billon points of view. And for Jackson to have gotten, on film, so close to Tolkien's work that at times one can feel like they can reach out and touch it, right there, on the television screen, that is an amazing thing.
I can think of a lot of things that Jackson could have done to the films, as well as New Line. But thankfully, these films really compliment the books for the most part, and if they provoke people to read the books and get back to the 'Bible' of the matter, good!
I like the books better than the movie, because they are the real McCoy. The movies are like looking through a dusty window, through which one can see the real thing, but can't fully grasp the greatness of it for PJ's dirt staining the glass.
Bottom line (IMO):
The books are the masterpiece.
The films are an interpretation of a master's art by a master of another type of art- film.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 05:38 PM   #23
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cassius
Hmm, I would say the same thing, but I am not the Lucifer of sweatpants and have a small amount of class and articulation. As to who I am, i MIGHT tell you if i thought that you wouldn't try and lynch me for having my own opinions! geez man.

as to the IP adress, thranduil is a classmate of mine and we log on from the school IP, which has only one. if that isn't good enough for you than I am truly sorry that your skull is too thick to accept the truth.

And I thought YOU were an adult...
Okay, we're going to have this as the last word on the subject, because it is frankly, silly and is conjesting every current thread in this forum, which I would hate to have to close because of such ridiculous arguing. But it will happen to every thread if this continues.

Everyone, get back on and stay on topic.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 02:46 PM   #24
Cassius
Enting

Gimli Back on the subject

Sorry, I'm just frustrated...

As to the subject. Yes the books are better and I love what Mrs. Gamgee said, since I have pretty much the same opinion. The books are the masterpiece, and the movies did a good job.

Lets put it in the artist's point of view. When an artist tries to depict writing, he can't see what the author can see, he can just interpret what he sees in his head. EX: Some people interpret dragons as having slim bodies, dragonfly wings, scales, and teeth. Not everyone believes that but that is how the artist interprets what he reads.

That is my point

-Don't understand, Just comprehend.
(Cassius)
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 06:47 PM   #25
Anadriewen
Enting

Strider

I think the books are terrific, but if the movies hadn't been made, there wouldn't be nearly as many ppl who love lotr. Im 1 of those ppl. My sis bought the movie, i watched, got hooked, and now i love the books better.