Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-31-2003, 10:35 AM   #1
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

Why Elrond?

I think it is very odd that when Haldir arrives at Helm's Deep, he said that "Lord Elrond" sends us. I mean, he comes from Lorien, from Galadriel, who holds seniority over Elrond by a long shot. I think he should have said that Lady Galadriel sends her greetings. Plus, Elrond is more disdainful of men and Middle-Earth than he was in the first movie, while Galadriel is more hopeful, or at least more caring.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:01 AM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

But I believe Elrond is the one who thinks elves should help men in this last bit. (before they leave) Elrond set up the Fellowship!
Old 08-31-2003, 01:55 PM   #3
azalea
Long lost mooter

I also think we're going to see more about this in the EE, from what I saw in the preview.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 02:34 PM   #4
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I also think we're going to see more about this in the EE, from what I saw in the preview.
Definitely.

Also, while Elrond has appeared to be disdainful towards mankind, he has always been one to reach out to men, at least those of a certain line of men anyway Remember Elrond's brother began the line of Numenor, he also knows Aragorn is destined to help his people, Elrond did have a strong alliance with men at one time as well and even though he see's the weaknesses in men, he also sees the other side as well, the side Aragorn has shown him. Although I don't see why the Elves going to Helm's deep ocurred, I can understand the rationale for it in a couple different ways...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 05:02 PM   #5
Finarwe
Enting

Re: Why Elrond?

Quote:
Originally posted by Balrog_of_Morgoth
I think it is very odd that when Haldir arrives at Helm's Deep, he said that "Lord Elrond" sends us. I mean, he comes from Lorien, from Galadriel, who holds seniority over Elrond by a long shot.
As far as I remember (just gave the DVD to a good friend), Haldir said something like "I bring words of Elrond from Rivendell".
IMHO that means:
He comes from Lothlorien, but the people of Rohan do not know the Lady of the woods, they surely know Rivendell and its Master, so he tells them a name they know. And at least Elrond 'spoke' with Galadriel earlier.

But I do hope the EE explain more.

A! Elbereth Gilthoniel!
silivren penna m?*riel
o menel aglar elenath,
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Finarwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 06:33 PM   #6
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Re: Re: Why Elrond?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Finarwe
[B]As far as I remember (just gave the DVD to a good friend), Haldir said something like "I bring words of Elrond from Rivendell".
IMHO that means:
He comes from Lothlorien, but the people of Rohan do not know the Lady of the woods, they surely know Rivendell and its Master, so he tells them a name they know. And at least Elrond 'spoke' with Galadriel earlier.

I AGREE WITH THIS LINE OF REASONING....CAPS LOCK STUCK.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:50 AM   #7
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

Most of these responses are describing the Elrond in the books. In the movie, he is pretty much done with men and is only concerned with heading to Valinor and persuading Arwen to go with him. Yes, the Fellowship starts from Rivendell, but really, he had little to do with it except telling Gandalf to get the ring out of there, because, "the time of the Elves is over...we are leaving these shores." The Fellowship took form of its own accord while he stood by and watched.

Maybe Haldir should have said, "I bring word from Lady Galadriel and Lord Elrond...etc."

Actually, that whole telepathic thing between Galadriel and Elrond bugs me. If they had to add that part to the movie, it would have made more sense to me if Galadriel had sent them anyhow, since the Fellowship had visited Lorien only a few weeks or so before that and was in more of a position to know their plight.

I guess we all come away with different perceptions of the whole thing...
Old 09-01-2003, 02:57 AM   #8
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Re: Re: Re: Why Elrond?

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
I AGREE WITH THIS LINE OF REASONING....CAPS LOCK STUCK.
You can hold down the shift key to change it back... if you can be bothered...
Woops! Off-topic!
Erm... Yes! The Elrond-Galadriel telepathy thing annoyed me too. Like Galadriel's Miss Exposition for TTT...
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:12 AM   #9
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Elrond?

The most common reason, aside from the key sticking sometimes is that I've left my glasses in another room or downstairs and so using the capitals allows me to see what I'm writing.
......I didn't want you to think I was computer illiterate.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:24 AM   #10
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Balrog_of_Morgoth
Most of these responses are describing the Elrond in the books. In the movie, he is pretty much done with men and is only concerned with heading to Valinor and persuading Arwen to go with him. Yes, the Fellowship starts from Rivendell, but really, he had little to do with it except telling Gandalf to get the ring out of there, because, "the time of the Elves is over...we are leaving these shores." The Fellowship took form of its own accord while he stood by and watched.

Maybe Haldir should have said, "I bring word from Lady Galadriel and Lord Elrond...etc."

Actually, that whole telepathic thing between Galadriel and Elrond bugs me. If they had to add that part to the movie, it would have made more sense to me if Galadriel had sent them anyhow, since the Fellowship had visited Lorien only a few weeks or so before that and was in more of a position to know their plight.

I guess we all come away with different perceptions of the whole thing...
In my "The Lord of the Rings...The Two Towers Photo Guide", there is a page devoted to Lothlorien. The text says.....

"At the City of the Trees, Elrond calls a council of the Elves. He believes that they should help in the struggle against Sauron, but not everybody agrees." .....(picture of Galadriel here, with the caption "The Rings of the Elf Lords were not made as weapons of war or conquest. They cannot come to the aid of Men." .......below Galadriel's picture is Celeborn, with caption "The alliance between Men and Elves is over." )

How Haldir came to be the leader might be because there were no other elves introduced from Rivendell, just Elrond and Arwen. Wasn't Arwen originally coming to Helms Deep anyway?

Too bad they couldn't have given Figwit a real name and sent him! Fan girls would have grooved! Think what that would have done for that guy's career!
Old 09-01-2003, 09:46 AM   #11
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Did anyone else have a version where Frodo and Sam are taken to Gondor? I really freaked at that. And I stopped counting differences in the movie and the book, 37 minutes into the movie. Overwhelming.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:38 AM   #12
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

What? Spock, didn't you see the movie in the theatre?

I love Lizra's Figwit idea.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:25 AM   #13
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Artanis
[B]What? Spock, didn't you see the movie in the theatre?

No I waited until my pre-ordered DVD arrived.

After watching what they cut next time I'll wait for the extended version for sure.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:40 AM   #14
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Hehe, that may be the most sensible thing to do.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:04 PM   #15
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Elrond?

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
The most common reason, aside from the key sticking sometimes is that I've left my glasses in another room or downstairs and so using the capitals allows me to see what I'm writing.
......I didn't want you to think I was computer illiterate.
LOL
Old 09-01-2003, 01:11 PM   #16
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
In my "The Lord of the Rings...The Two Towers Photo Guide", there is a page devoted to Lothlorien. The text says.....

"At the City of the Trees, Elrond calls a council of the Elves. He believes that they should help in the struggle against Sauron, but not everybody agrees." .....(picture of Galadriel here, with the caption "The Rings of the Elf Lords were not made as weapons of war or conquest. They cannot come to the aid of Men." .......below Galadriel's picture is Celeborn, with caption "The alliance between Men and Elves is over." )
Maybe we will get to see this scene in the Extended Edition, I gather we will
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 09-01-2003, 01:15 PM   #17
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spock
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
What? Spock, didn't you see the movie in the theatre?

No I waited until my pre-ordered DVD arrived.

After watching what they cut next time I'll wait for the extended version for sure.

That stinks, movies like this are best scene on the big screen...

--Linaewen
Old 09-01-2003, 01:58 PM   #18
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra

How Haldir came to be the leader might be because there were no other elves introduced from Rivendell, just Elrond and Arwen. Wasn't Arwen originally coming to Helms Deep anyway?

Too bad they couldn't have given Figwit a real name and sent him! Fan girls would have grooved! Think what that would have done for that guy's career!
Including Glorfindel could have come in handy after all...
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:49 PM   #19
Finarwe
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Including Glorfindel could have come in handy after all...
No Glorfindel, no Figwit, no sons of Elrond! A dead Haldir!!! The first thing I will do after ROTK will be: Reading the books again!

A! Elbereth Gilthoniel!
silivren penna m?*riel
o menel aglar elenath,
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Finarwe is offline   Reply With Quote