Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-17-2000, 06:40 PM   #21
Salli Canaliya

Re: More about Tad

The only thing that really (as opposed to midly) annoyed me about these books was the the handy pronunciation guide only provided really good pronunciations (gosh, that's hard to type) for names I could have figured out---how many ways can one possiblly pronounce the princesses name? (which I don't remember how to spell)---but didn't help on the ones I would have liked to know.

I never did know how to pronounce Simon's formal name...
Old 10-18-2000, 01:23 PM   #22
DayStar2002

there are a lot of ways you can pronouce the peoples names i am guessing that he wants us to use our imaginations or just confuse the heck out of us!!
Old 10-19-2000, 03:38 PM   #23
Salli Canaliya

Name pronuciations only bother me when there is a key in the back of the book. Then I go crazy trying to figure everything out, and have to try to persuade myself not to care. This rarely works.

::sigh::
Old 10-20-2000, 01:28 PM   #24
DayStar2002

that key thing is pretty confusing but i like the way he made up a few languages!
Old 10-20-2000, 05:12 PM   #25
Salli Canaliya

Yeah, me too.
Old 10-23-2000, 12:00 PM   #26
DayStar2002

:P
i think it is really talented to make up such languages though it is prety easy sometimes
Old 10-24-2000, 08:08 AM   #27
jedi master princess

read from somewhere (i think it was an old interview) that williams' stuff takes a while to get into because he writes like dicken....that is, he puts in tons of details and background setup info in the beginning. consequently, it takes some time for the plot and action to really get rolling. skimming didn't quite cut it either because all those beginning chapters had important plot devices that were vital to understanding the story much later on....i ended up having to reread the stuff a couple of times to get the whole flow. still, i recommend his stuff because the characters and story are very well constructed.

and nope...i didn't expect the ending at all....

::goes back to jedi meditation::
Old 10-26-2000, 02:47 AM   #28
Gez1

I started reading Williams when I picked up Tail Chasers Song and being a "cat person" it just caught my eye. I liked it and when I saw the "Dragon Bone Chair" I picked it up because I liked his first book. I quess that's how a certain author becomes a favorite. I have read the trilogy and loved it. I want to see good character and plot developement, otherwise I loose interest pretty quickly. It's a story that I will reread again, and again over the years. Like Tolkien, a good "yarn" is hard to put down and never revisit. When the Otherland series started, I bought the first book (because once again I liked Williams other books so well) but was a little bit leary as I usually like fantasy over futuristic. So far I like the series although parts of it do seem to get dull.. Guess I'll hold back my opinion till it's finished. I do admit that I like Looonnng stories. I have become addicted to the on going tale as opposed to the 300 to 500 page "short" story.
There is nothing better than cracking open a new story by a favorite writer.
Old 10-27-2000, 12:13 AM   #29
DayStar2002

that is right Gez1 that is exactly my feelings!! i don't like a book unless there is always something exciting happening ( and sincve i havce read DBC i have been skipping a few parts :P nott on perpose though!! i try to go back biut it is no use i can't read the boring parts)