Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-21-2000, 11:40 PM   #1
DayStar2002

Tad Williams and his trilogy of Memory Sorrow and

Thorn....

has anyone heard or read any of these books??
Old 09-22-2000, 01:02 AM   #2
Finduilas

Re: Tad Williams and his trilogy of Memory Sorrow and

I read through the series once, about 2 years ago, but when I tried to re-read them, I just couldn't get interested. However, I really like "Tailchaser's Song" by Williams. It's similar to "Book of Night With Moon" by Diane Duane in some ways.
Old 09-22-2000, 02:32 AM   #3
Miralys

A few years ago I read the Dragonbone Chair. Or I started to. I had to put it down and haven't had a chance to pick it back up. I really liked the bit that I read though. I got about half way through.
Old 09-22-2000, 02:39 AM   #4
Finduilas

Just wondering, are you by any chance a Darkover fan?
Old 09-22-2000, 11:48 AM   #5
DayStar2002

ME?

a darkover fan? never heard of it....... well i really like those books!! they are good i want to get the new books Tad Williams has written they are the series of the other land books... i also want to read the tailchasers song but i haven't been to a book store for a long while
Old 09-22-2000, 05:11 PM   #6
Finduilas

Re: ME?

I was asking Miralys, as her usename is the same as one of the characters in the last 2 Darkover books (Shadow Matrix and Traitors Sun).
Old 09-22-2000, 06:44 PM   #7
DayStar2002

oh...

oh sorry
Old 09-25-2000, 10:41 AM   #8
jedi master princess

Re: oh...

i've read it....love this series. desperately want more but williams has said that he's about done with this particular story. oh well.
Old 09-25-2000, 01:16 PM   #9
WhiteLightningTiger

it was a trilogy so there can't be more than three... but i wish there were more books
Old 09-26-2000, 12:06 PM   #10
DayStar2002

arg

Ohhhh sorry that wa the wrong character!!
Old 09-26-2000, 08:17 PM   #11
Miralys

Re: arg

Finduilas,

Yes I am a fan of Darkover. I love those books. I still havent read all of them since they seem to be hard to find but I do order them online every now and then when my pocketbook permits it. And believe it or not, you're the first person who has recognized my name. I'm impressed!
Old 09-26-2000, 08:55 PM   #12
bmilder

This was a very interesting series. The ending was completely unpredictable and brilliant.

I've also read the first two Otherland books.
Old 09-27-2000, 11:29 PM   #13
DayStar2002

really? are they just as good as the dragonbone chair and the other books?
Old 09-28-2000, 06:42 PM   #14
emilsson

If you mean Otherland I and II, I think they are better than Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and I really like that trilogy.
Old 09-28-2000, 09:49 PM   #15
DayStar2002

really? then i gatta save up my money and get those books!!!!
Old 10-04-2000, 09:45 PM   #16
Salli Canaliya

I have a few semi-random comments.

1) This conversation is awfully hard to follow.

2) I have never particularly felt the need for more in this story. Some trilogies either feel as if they should go on, or one just wishes they would go on. Not only is the story finshed in Green Angel Tower, to me it feels finished.

3) If you had problems getting into this trilogy, I don't blame you. Tad Williams seems to belive it long books. I advise perfecting the art of skimming thorugh minor and irrelevant details. I really think these books would be better shorter. Does anyone agree?

4) I didn't really find the ending all surprising, even the first time. It was set up very carefully, and it is pretty much classic fantasy. But I don't think---there being so much stuff to wade through---one is likely to guess.

Old 10-15-2000, 09:32 PM   #17
Ensor

By the way

Just started, and I feel it's very Catholicist, which is nice. Will tell you more later.

Good evening
Old 10-16-2000, 02:06 AM   #18
Salli Canaliya

Re: By the way

Funny. I vividly remember my window shutting down as I was adding my post, and hoping that it made it up anyway, and finding out that it didn't. So how is it there now? Kinda scary... (Or at least very strange.)

:lol:
Old 10-17-2000, 08:24 AM   #19
Ensor

More about Tad

It's getting more interesting already. About 100pgs in so far, and I'm getting into his narrative style.

Wrote my last mail two-nights ago. I had just come back from the pub with my girlfriend, quite drunk, and had to tell the world about my catholic finding.

Whilst down the pub, my girlfriend saw the bloke on the table opposite SPIT in his g-friend/acquaintance's drink whilst she was in the toilet (bathroom for those non-Europeans!). He then STIRRED it in with his finger. We had to tell the security guy, because we didn't want to get banned from our local for starting fights. It was bad, though.

Anyway; Tad is good, so far. Enjoying him, but finding it difficult to see how the main character can stem from that poor, spotty little boy, Simon.

Still, Feist managed with Pug at first.

Morning.

Phil
Old 10-17-2000, 12:01 PM   #20
DayStar2002

Re: More about Tad

i love the books i read them so much that they are all tattered now...