Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-20-2000, 10:04 PM   #1
etherealunicorn

Chatting later...

I almost forgot. Are there any regular times when folks get together here? If so, will anyone be back in say, after 10 pm CDT? I'll look for you, if anyone is about. Til then or later, have a nice evening
Old 05-20-2000, 10:40 PM   #2
bmilder

Re: Chatting later...

Hmm, not really... the beauty of a message board as opposed to a chat room is that you can post it at any time, even in the middle of the night, and people can read it and reply to it ten minutes later, ten hours later, or ten months later and the messages will remain the same.

There were a lot of people posting this afternoon in this forum, but that was mainly by chance. I'm online a lot, and I spend much of that time here, as does anduin. There used to be ICQ chats involving Entmoot people, but I don't think those happen anymore. Speaking of ICQ, do you have that, or AOL Instant Messenger?
Old 05-21-2000, 04:07 AM   #3
etherealunicorn

chatting later...

Oh, I know about the message board part of it. I just thought that I would ask; I've run across boards in the past that also had scheduled times to meet.
I don't have AOL at all and as far as ICQ goes, unless it came along with some other program and I have forgotten about it, I don't have it either.
Old 05-21-2000, 01:13 PM   #4
anduin

Beware...chatting is hazardous to book reading ;)

I am a firm believer in ICQ and AIM (aol's instant messenger). Having either is a good way to enhance your online community experience. It is also helpful in the ways of learning computer literacy. Lord knows it has helped me. Before I came to Entmoot, I was simply a wandering net junkie without a home or focus, now look at me......38 web friends on ICQ and 27 on IM.....all due to Ben, I must say.

Some people prefer AIM and some prefer ICQ...some have no preference. Since I think that ICQ is the easiest to obtain (no reason really ) I will walk you through if you'll permit.

I will assume that you have Windows and not a Mac O/S....most ppl sadly do.....

Go to this link: www.icq.com/download/step-by-step.html
Print this page out....it has the instructions for installation and what not. If you don't have a printer (I didn't at the time) just open a second window with the same URL and click the yellow box. This will take you to the actual download page. The DL doesn't take very long even with a slow modem....25 mins. tops.

Once you get it downloaded and installed, you will need someone to add to your list (the best way to see if it is working, IMO). My ICQ number is 47847328 and Ben's number is 39475852. Anyone else may include their numbers.......

I hope that helps, if not, come back here and ask questions.
Old 05-21-2000, 03:18 PM   #5
etherealunicorn

chatting on ICQ....

Thanks, anduin, I'll check that out. I have wondered about ICQ but just never got around to it. It never hurts to try it, I guess, and I can always uninstall later if I hate it. I'll get back with you once I get to the installation and testing part of the download. If nothing else I might learn something and that will certainly not hurt at all. I get tired of being a computing illiterate so I definitely need the knowledge.
Old 05-21-2000, 04:55 PM   #6
IronParrot

Re: chatting on ICQ....

I can tell you right now that while ICQ has gotten me a lot of benefits... as in, I have at least a facsimile of a social life now... it's made my work and study habits drop to zero. And once you're in, you're in - you can never get back out.

Oh, and anduin, while the Mac has a ton of advantages over Windows, ICQ is indisputably better in the Windows version... although there's a lot of useless bloated features...
Old 05-21-2000, 06:27 PM   #7
anduin

I would agree with you there.......Mac's ICQ is terrible and long overdue for an updated version. I was just commenting on the fact that it is sad that not all people have Macs. You know me...I'll take any chance I can to dog Windows.
Old 05-21-2000, 07:43 PM   #8
Darth Tater

I consider AIM to be superior. I don't remember the url of where do download it from, but I'm sure anduin has it
Old 05-21-2000, 10:13 PM   #9
bmilder

Tater, it's www.aol.com
Old 05-21-2000, 11:06 PM   #10
The One Ring

I prefer AOL IM myself, and I go by the name (if you want to call it that; three letters and a number isn't really a name) of dhr2001. No ICQ for me, I'm afraid, but one IM client is already enough, otherwise I'd have absolutely no time for anything else.
Old 05-24-2000, 03:16 AM   #11
Elanor

I like AIM because it's kind of in chat room format, it's simpler to send and receive messages and contact people, and it works with aol or independently. Less confusing too, IMO. And my computer crashes less often when I use AIM than ICQ...does that mean it uses less memory?
Old 05-24-2000, 03:22 AM   #12
IronParrot

And the thing is... if you don't already have ICQ for Windows, you're dead. The current Mac version sucks because it's feature-poor. The current Windows version, ICQ 2000a, which is the only one available for download anymore, is chock full of useless features and interface quirks that are entirely unnecessary and like Elanor said, crashes your computer. I'm glad I stuck with ICQ 99. I would've stuck with ICQ 98 if it weren't for unlimited messages, searchable history, white pages and user grouping.
Old 05-24-2000, 03:40 AM   #13
anduin

Um...don't you know about the Mac rule at Entmoot IP? Anyone that bashes Macs is banned. Sorry.....
Old 05-24-2000, 03:41 AM   #14
IronParrot

I was just bashing Mirabilis for being so irresponsible regarding developing a Mac version of ICQ. I'll have you know I've been a faithful Mac user since I was five, although I primarily use my Wintel comp now...
Old 05-24-2000, 12:11 PM   #15
etherealunicorn

Well, I am having computer problems with regard to large downloads, so I guess that I will have neither ICQ or AIM. I am glad, in a way, that I wasn't able to get ICQ, now that I hear all the feedback on it. Oh well, that's life.
Old 05-24-2000, 01:39 PM   #16
emilsson

Looks like I won´t be updating my version. I don´t want any more useless features.

IP is right, ICQ is addictive. Once it made me forget that I was supposed to go to the dentist .

Hey anduin, I´m glad you have understood that mac is so much better than Windows! Sadly I´m stuck with a PC and I cannot get a new computer .
Old 05-24-2000, 04:39 PM   #17
anduin

Thank you emilsson!

One is probably not better than the other, it is all what you get use to, I suppose. But everytime I use a friends computer (they all have PCs) I thank my lucky stars that I have a Mac. It is hard to explain, but everything just seems cleaner somehow. *shrugs* If anyone here hasn't ever used the Mac O/S, you should go to your local Mac store (if there is one ) and check one out.....try it on for size. I promise you, you won't be disappointed. It is a shame that the net is ruled by Windows and so many programmers don't provide Mac versions (or updated versions) of certain programs like ICQ, Napster, MessageBay, most games (War Craft, Two Towers MUD for example), and many others. The reason that most of you think that Macs are **** is because what's NOT available in the Mac format....you have no idea what they can do. Stop blamming Macs performance and start blaming the programmers or the company that they work for, for what you think is a inferior computer!

Man, why does that always get me so POed?
Old 05-24-2000, 05:17 PM   #18
emilsson

My mom uses a mac and I have to say it was a lot easier to learn using that computer than my PC. I agree with you that most people prefer windows because more programs are available. It´s a shame really.
Old 05-24-2000, 10:10 PM   #19
Darth Tater

I know what you mean anduin, macs do seem cleaner, strange though it is.
Old 05-24-2000, 11:53 PM   #20
IronParrot

I think the Mac interface is MILES ahead of Windows (except they don't have the taskbar at the bottom, and you can't navigate drop-down bars with your keyboard, but that's really picky). The reason why I use my Windows machine more often is because a good deal of the apps are better and more frequently upgraded.

Web and graphics work, though? Mac all the way.