Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-03-2000, 03:44 AM   #21
arynetrek

Re: Arathorn II

since you're interested in camping & history, i'd suggest mesa verde, canyon de chelly & chaco canyon, all in new mexico (i think) - hiking, anaszi ruins, & Navajos (who are very cool people to talk to), & both those sites aren't too crowded. also Arches & Canyonlands NPs in Utah is excellent, but you'll run into so many tourists there... but well worth seeing despite the overcrowdedness. they are all very out-of-the-way though - you'd have to rent a car & drive out to the middle of nowhere. and if you're coming in the summer, it will be hot (110F+) & very dry. in winter, Arches & Canyonlands at least will have ice, i don't know about the others. if you can see them or any park in the Southwest, it's a wonderful trip. i went 4 years ago & never wanted to leave.

SUV's are large cars/trucks, they traditionally are designed for off-road rough driving & hold 6+ people & their gear; but luxury carmakers decided to yuppie-fy them & turn them into status symbols. they inhale gasoline & tip over frequently, & usually are driven by incompetents on cell phones

have fun while you're here! you probably won't come through dallas, my hometown, because no one comes here except to shop (a stupid reason to travel, in my opinion)

aryne *
Old 08-03-2000, 11:37 AM   #22
anduin

Good description of SUVs! Does no one remember the oil crisis of the 70's?!!
Old 08-03-2000, 07:04 PM   #23
Arathorn II

Don't remember it, but have heard of it.
Old 08-03-2000, 08:16 PM   #24
Shanamir Duntak

And if you have LOTS of time, come to Québec! =)
Old 08-24-2000, 09:14 PM   #25
anduin

Arathorn, I noticed in another thread that you said you would be leaving in about a month. What are some of the places that you've decided to visit here in the States? What are places that you are most looking forward to seeing?

Since you will be doing some cross country driving, may I suggest some great places to eat along the way? Some of my favorite places to stop and eat are Bob Evans, Waffle House, or IHOP (Internation House of Pancakes) for breakfast. They are for the most part "greasy spoons", but then again, so are most of the restaurant chains in the US. For dinner.....T.G.I. Fridays, Cracker Barrel, or any of the places that I mentioned for breakfast. For typical American "down home cookin'", Cracker Barrel is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and can be found in most small or large cities (or in the middle of nowhere). But try to avoid eating there (or Bob Evans) on Sunday mornings, as the church crowd is out in full force and you may have trouble getting a table before lunch rolls around.
Old 08-25-2000, 09:56 AM   #26
Legolas

Avoid all theme parks. For the love of god, avoid all theme parks.

Actually, I do not believe in god...

Legolas
Old 08-25-2000, 04:10 PM   #27
Gilthalion

Legolas:
No wonder you don't like theme parks either! Ride some of the things I've been on and you will BELIEVE! (Especially IF you get off again...) But thank you for sharing!

Aragorn:
The Mrs and I just did Disney World, a 10 hour drive from our home. If you are going by road from Florida to Southern California, you will probably take I-10. This passes through Mobile, Alabama, Biloxi, Mississippi and New Orleans, Louisianna. In Mobile, we have the best seafood restaurants and the USS Alabama Battleship Park. On the Mississippi Coast, you can gamble on the riverboats or enjoy the shows . In New Orleans, I'm sure you've heard of the Cajun cuisine, and The French Quarter, but the Jazzland theme park is now open there as well. After that, Texas, with the Alamo, and lots of oil and cattle. A long ride. New Mexico has White Sands park. Arizona has the Petrified Forest and the previously mentioned Grand Canyon.
California has golden haired Valley Girls!

(And with that, the little hobbit sighed and wished he was going on an Adventure!)
Old 08-25-2000, 05:46 PM   #28
Bullroarer

HEY! You settle down and grow some Hobbit-sense!
Old 08-25-2000, 08:59 PM   #29
Arathorn II

I'm leaving home september 20. First I have to do somthing so I hope
to get started on my trip before december.. The whole thing has changed,
we are going to drive to Italy, trough France to Spain, back to France
and then to Holland, and fly to Miami. Then we will go; (Just mentioning cities) Jacksonville, Atalanta, Birmingham, New Orleans, Memphis, Little Rock,
Kansas City, Wichita, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Then we haven't decided where to stop, but we are going to take a "look" at Grand Canyon, Los Angeles.

Then we fly to New York City, continues to, Pittsburg, Baltimore, Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelfia, New York City and back over to Holland and then back to Norway..