Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-07-2003, 12:11 AM   #1
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Unsung Stories

What about the things Tolkien only hinted at in The Silmarillion?

While reading "Of Beren and Luthien", the short passage about Gorlim and Eilinel struck me fairly hard. The fact that Gorlim would not give up his Lord to be released from torture, but only to be reunited with his beloved wife hits me hard, but there isn't anything else written about them.

What are your favorite "unsung stories"?
Old 01-07-2003, 06:18 PM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Not in the Sil, but in RoTK - the guys that lead their archers up close to shoot at the eyes of the mumakil (who were causing great damage) in the battle of the Pelennor Fields - they knew they would probably be trampled to death, but they went anyway and did a great service to their side.

I'll have to think about the Sil...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 09:34 PM   #3
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I think the fifth battle. Think of all the tragedies involved in that.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:56 PM   #4
Halbarad of the North
Sapling

The unsung story i am most interested in is one that is talked about, but not alot is about Eol and his life
Halbarad of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 04:04 PM   #5
Findegil
Elven Warrior

Posted by Starr polish:
Quote:
While reading "Of Beren and Luthien", the short passage about Gorlim and Eilinel struck me fairly hard. The fact that Gorlim would not give up his Lord to be released from torture, but only to be reunited with his beloved wife hits me hard, but there isn't anything else written about them.
So you are very lucky. Your favorite "unsung stories" is realy sung! Take a look at The History of Middle-Earth, volume 3: The Lays of Beleriand. In chapter III: The Lay of Leithian is a complte Canto about that story, and in Chapter IV: The Lay of Leithian Recommenced it is told again in a sup-canto of 141 lines.

My own favorit are the later partes of Tal-Elmar. That story was a realy good start for more about the Second Age in Middle-Earth. And also the remarks at the end are very promissing. But Alas! It was never completed.

Respectfully
Findegil

Last edited by Findegil : 03-27-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 04:42 PM   #6
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

I too loved 'tal-Emar' and I really wished Tolkien had finished it. But I'd much rather he finished the Quenta Silmarillion, with the latter revisions.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 04:48 PM   #7
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Tolkien has given us the history of ME from lots of points of view, but never from Cirdan's point of view. how did he see things, he that have seen so many things past?

perhaps his story had seen the story of his love to the sea...
Old 03-27-2003, 04:59 PM   #8
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

It's a small thing but ... I've often wondered what became of Nellas after Túrin left Doriath.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:59 AM   #9
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Galadriel's return to Aman and the reuniting with her family.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 09:20 PM   #10
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
It got bumped!

Oi...I'll have to read that before I begin my fan fic on it then...well, go further into it than I have, anyway. I have, since posting this, heard that other versions of the story say that Gorlim sought Sauron, but I don't think I like that version as well.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:42 PM   #11
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat middle
Tolkien has given us the history of ME from lots of points of view, but never from Cirdan's point of view. how did he see things, he that have seen so many things past?

perhaps his story had seen the story of his love to the sea...
Yes, Cirdan is one of the oldest living Elves of Middle Earth yet nothing is ever directly said about him. At best we always get little bits of narrative mentioning some seemingly minor part he played. He's gotta have some interesting stuff about him.

I also would have liked Tolkien to create a more complete and final version of Celebrimor's story. There was also a hint in UT about a possible attraction to Galadriel, I wish he would have gotten in to that and especially into Celebrimbor's early history.

One more, the adventures and travellings of Elladan and Elrohir. Some interesting stuff must have happened. Elrond was wrought with great sorrow because of the passing of Celebrian. I wish Tolkien elaborated on the whole story of Celebrian and her sons.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:48 PM   #12
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

I would also like to know about the Avari that remained by the waters of Cuivienen.
Did they build a settlement?
Did they migrate somewhere else?
Was there any still left at the time of the War of the Ring?
Old 04-19-2003, 08:38 AM   #13
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Was there any still left at the time of the War of the Ring?
Due to the War of Wrath, many lands and waters were altered+destroyed, Cuivenen was destroyed too, and by the War of the Ring, the only remain of Helkar (Cuivenen was a small bay in Helkar) was the sea of Rhun, which is said to be the north-western tip. Dorwinion may have been a Avarin settlement though.

Quote:
Did they build a settlement?
None that we know of. The Annals of Aman (HoME 10) tells us about how two Avarin leaders, Morwe and Nurwe resided far away from the main contingent of Elves, thus they didn't see Orome arrive. But, it is probable that this short-lived idea was dropped by Tolkien.

Quote:
Did they migrate somewhere else?
'Quendi and Eldar' HoME 11, tells us that some of the Avari migrated to Beleriand. They were mainly of the Tatyarin (pre-Noldor) origin and unfriendly to their Eldarin kin, because they thought that they were too proud and they felt they had been abandoned by them, and they mainly resided in Southern Beleriand. Some may have been in Ossiriand and even Doriath.

Tolkien also comments on the integration of Nelyarin (pre-Teleri)Avari into several Silvan kingdoms in the S.A such as Lothlorien, under the rule of Amdir-Malgalad and Greenwood under the rule of Oropher.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:24 PM   #14
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Thank You Inderjit Sanghera, but I have already read all that, but there still is nothing really known about the Avari after the begining of the Great March. I'm just real curious about the far East of ME ever since I read that small bit in the BoLT of the Elf finding Men asleep. There is no proof, but I do feel there was probably still settlements in the Far East even into the Fourth Age, Elves who knew nothing of the Valar, the War of Wrath, or the War of the Ring. I imagine them living to the east of the Easterlings. Like I said I have no proof on it, but I like the idea.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:03 PM   #15
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Cirdan was there from the beginning-the revolt at least- until the grey ship. He did so much but was so little recognized. He held Narya, he stood by Gil-Galad at the Last Alliance. And he was an elf with a long beard . We need to hear more about Cirdan's life.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:17 PM   #16
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

HoME 12; Last Writings has some info. on the wisest being in M-E-Cirdan.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:51 PM   #17
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I should really get my hands on HoME

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote