Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-25-2003, 05:11 PM   #41
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Youre right-Maitimio, one of beautiful bodily form, called so by his....mother Feanor was also good with his hands ....his Jewels had quite the reputation, or so I hear. Finrod eat you're heart out
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:16 PM   #42
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Inderjit Sanghera
Youre right-Maitimio, one of beautiful bodily form, called so by his....mother
Hmm - If you are going to that, I would be more concerned if he was called so by his father
Old 03-25-2003, 07:29 PM   #43
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Inderjit Sanghera
Youre right-Maitimio, one of beautiful bodily form, called so by his....mother Feanor was also good with his hands ....his Jewels had quite the reputation, or so I hear. Finrod eat you're heart out
Dirty Noldor!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 08:00 PM   #44
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
In Love? More like obsessive. *runs very fast away from the admin stick.*
Not fast enough. WHAP!

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:19 PM   #45
Fëannel
Sapling

uno, in case u didnt notice, Fëanor was one of the most vicious of elves... he made his own sons swear on his deathbed that they'd kill anyone hu withheld a Silmaril; he did make them, and I dont deny they were of great repute, but haughtiness has no connection to beauty, only self-pride.
Maedhros, I hold nothing against, he was a good guy.
Think about it: Fëanor withheld the Silmarils and allowed the Darkening of Valinor to pass because of pride.
Curufin and Celegorm were threatening to assail Doriath if Thingol didn't give Celegorm Lúthien, just because Celegorm couldn't control his lust.
Because they didn't find the Silmaril in Doriath wen Elwing took it, they decided to take Dior's other sons and leave them in the forest to starve.
All for the sake of the Oath, which by those wrongdoings and bloodsheds and others in the end was made void, even to Maedhros hu repented, as Eönwë told them.
Or maybe u just havent red Quenta Silmarillion properly -- wat do u think?
Old 03-25-2003, 09:28 PM   #46
Gwaimir Windgem

You know, I'm not being sarcastic or anything, but I really like the way you spell "who" (hu). I find it far more pleasing to the eye, and, in fact, more practical than the correct spelling.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-25-2003, 10:59 PM   #47
Fëannel
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
You know, I'm not being sarcastic or anything, but I really like the way you spell "who" (hu). I find it far more pleasing to the eye, and, in fact, more practical than the correct spelling.
aawww, tanx....
wen u say 'Poe Rox' at the end of ur name, r u referrin to Edgar Alan Poe?
just wundrin, cuz i luv him too.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:06 PM   #48
Gwaimir Windgem

The one and only.

EDIT: And that "hu" thing is unusual coming from me, as I usually don't like "chat-speak" and similar things.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-26-2003, 01:52 AM   #49
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

I liked Maedhros for quite a while - I can't resist the heroic thing, so hit me with an Ent stick for a fangirl - but when he started being nasty... I kinda went off him.
SGH - yet *another* Finrod lover here! *ducks Admin stick* But I'll share him! See you on the Sil-fangirl thread, hmm?
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 04:57 AM   #50
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Feannel, I will post a detailed reply later on. Oh and I have read the Silmarillion properly, thank you.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 11:59 PM   #51
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Okay, this weekend I'm going to lock myelf in a closet and finish reading the Silmarillion. Wish me luck!
Old 03-28-2003, 05:10 AM   #52
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Thanks for all the good advice in this column. Unfortunately, I'm already at 'Chapter 21: of Turin Turamba', so I can't really put these things into practise until I read it again. Which will be in a while, seeing as I am re-reading LotR again, followed by UT and HoME. It will take me ages to get back to the Silm.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it difficult. I found I had to backtrack a lot to remember who all the characters were (Why did Feanor have to have so many sons?!), but the index at the back was very useful. Except, it also describes parts of what happened to the character, such as 'slain by ....' which I haven't read yet, so it kind of ruins it.

But it is my favourite book, so far. I think it is so difficult a text because it's a history, so the events are not very slow, like a normal book, which also has more detail and has what characters say etc, making it easier to read and comprehend.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:13 PM   #53
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
What is the book of maps called?
Well, I ment to say it is a book of map. Its called the Map of the Beleriand.

*tries to stop reading this thread, as it is giving away every thing*
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:49 PM   #54
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Grr. I didn't get to finish reading this weekend. Stupid history project. And now, the library wants it back!
Old 04-02-2003, 06:30 AM   #55
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellyn
Grr. I didn't get to finish reading this weekend. Stupid history project. And now, the library wants it back!
Buy your own copy. You can take as long as you like to read it (in my case, it's weeks). The downside to this is that every time anyting happens to my copy I have a minor heart attack (just ask my mother).
Old 04-02-2003, 10:10 AM   #56
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
Thanks for all the good advice in this column. Unfortunately, I'm already at 'Chapter 21: of Turin Turamba', so I can't really put these things into practise until I read it again. Which will be in a while, seeing as I am re-reading LotR again, followed by UT and HoME. It will take me ages to get back to the Silm.
Hmmmm. Interesting name Linaewen. Very interesting indeed.
From the Published Silmarillion: Of Beleriand and its Realms
Quote:
and there was a great mere in the midst of Nevrast, with no certain shores, being encircled by wide marshes. Linaewen was the name of that mere, because of the multitude of birds that dwelt there, of such as love tall reeds and shallow pools.
I remember seeing someone who had that name in another forum, could that be you? You can tell who I am by my avatar.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:53 AM   #57
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Hmmmm. Interesting name Linaewen. Very interesting indeed
Ah, well. I was looking through the index and I fell in love with the name. It's beautiful, starts with an L and was thought up by Tolkien. Perfect!
I know what means. So I'm named after a lake of birds. That's how I imagine myself. I am a lake, I have tall reeds, birds love me. Plus, other Tolkien characters have been named after trees etc

Quote:
I remember seeing someone who had that name in another forum, could that be you? You can tell who I am by my avatar.
No, I only live at Entmoot. I spend so much time here (whenever I can- i've been swamped with work lately) that I don't really have much time to go to other forums. The only other forums I've been to were linked from ppl's sigs here anyway.