Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2003, 01:24 AM   #41
Aryaveiel Skycryer
Sapling

Oh grr definitely NOT Arwen. Her part was so inflated for the movie! Gollum was done excellently; in a survey at school I said Andy Serkis was my favorite actor. The movie made me dislike Boromir, and in the books I thought he was okay. Also I loved Gandalf even more in the movie than I did in the books, if that's possible! Ian McKellan didn't even let on that he was gay. I think everyone was portrayed well, though, except that Elijah Wood and whoever played Pippin (I know his name I just can't think of it right now...ooh it's not Dominic Monagan! It's...Is it Billy Boyd? I think so) didn't look very hobbit-like. They just looked like gawky teenagers. But they did a great job of acting!
Aryaveiel Skycryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 12:00 AM   #42
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Sam! Sam! I LOVED Sam even more in the movie than I did in the book!
Old 02-18-2003, 12:30 AM   #43
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

I find most of my gripes related to PJ's rendering, and/or the compression neccessary for the film format....visually - all were cast very well - excellent visual representations imho.

While Gandalf was fantastic, the part where he frantically grabs Frodo in the dark and asks "is it secret, is it safe!?!!?!" was over the top - Gandalf never lost his wits!

The Good: I echo most that Bilbo and Boromir were stand-outs. Golumm was without equal. Eomer, Eowyn, Theoden - all great.

The Bad (and Ugly): Elrond (barf), Arwen (in the ford scene primarily, otherwise not too shabby), Faramir (horrible representation). Also, I was/am dissapointed w/Sam (mostly because Astin's accent is never convincing) and not enough of his country-bumpkin humour comes through, I think.

I love Viggo as Aragorn, but again the miserable ford scene, and constant allusions to his hesitancy to claim the throne severly cheapened Aragorn's character as opposed to the books. Gosh, if only I hadn't read the books! It's like trying to listen listening to Creed when you were raised on Pearl Jam