Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-29-2002, 10:12 AM   #21
Sween
im quite stupid

i dont like either of them the best. i prefer aragorn the most. he does have 3 distinct characters in the book. Strider the misterious ranger. but as soon as the grey company turn up he turns into there lord and i like him the best then. he is so set on the task and a real leader. Sound like he was a good king but he probably didnt get to get his hands dirty much. i also love it when he is tracking merry and pippin and the orcs.

Lord of the rings i still feel is mostly a story about aragorn.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:56 PM   #22
Snowdog
DĂșnedain Ranger of the North

If we are getting really techincal here, I like Thorondor the best, foir he served Ectheloin and took down the fleet of Umbar.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:44 PM   #23
Lucy Brandybuck
Hobbit

Strider

I agree with Sween...Strider, Aragorn and Elessar are three different personas and Aragorn is definitely my favorite. He's THE perfect man.
Old 08-06-2002, 01:37 PM   #24
Celandine
Elven Warrior

Gollum

strider, dunno why
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 07:00 PM   #25
midnightflame
Sapling

Strider

like most of other people i choose strider he is more rugged and dirty i like men when there all who cares if i smell. i mean thanks i guy who just doesnt give a damn except for the people he protecting strider is better then when
Aragorn becomes king.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

SOME ROSES ARE RED
VOILETS ARE'NT BLUE
I KNOW I CANT SPELL BUT WHAT ABOUT YOU!!!!

HA HA HA H AH AHA HA HA HA

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

IM HAVENIG FUN OHHH LOTS OF SHINY RED BUTTTONES!!!!!!!!
midnightflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 09:52 PM   #26
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I was going to say Strider until I read Sween's post. Of the three personas, I like Aragorn best. He is still rugged and strong and a true leader.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 07:37 PM   #27
Nilvasaien
Hobbit

I prefer Strider, only because I met him first.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:45 PM   #28
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh! Aragorn He's got it all, but not too much! What's not to like about Aragorn. He's paid his dues, he's a righteous man who always tries to do the right thing, he puts other's needs before his own, he's humble yet the baddest dude around. Ah!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:38 AM   #29
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

Agreed that Strider, Aragorn and Elessar are three different people...I like Strider best because he is more mysterioius, therefore more interesting. The 'Elessar' side of him is not enlarged on in the book, because his coronation is like the third to last chapter, but it leaves you with a sense that he is becoming someone completely new, ready to assume responsability and put his good leader-traits into action. Of all his characters, I dislike Aragorn because he strikes me as too virtuous, trying to combine the Strider-wisdom that comes from living in the wild and the kingly deamenor of Elessar. It makes him lose his humane side.

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 07:42 AM   #30
Beruthiel
Hobbit

Strider, Aragorn and Elessar ?

Hum, I don't think of Aragorn as being three people at all anymore...perhaps that's because I have read and read his dialog so often that he is one man, just trying his best in bad circumstances.
He's a bit of an actor in Bree, taking on the Bree accent, talking like a Hobbit, even trying to be "pleasant' like one.

He doesn't change that much, really, from Strider to Aragorn. It's our understanding of him that changes. We learn more and more of him, and it expands what we expect of him. If we had been paying attention when Gandalf visited Frodo, we would know that this Strider is Aragorn already. For Gandalf mentions him by name, as the best hunter-tracker in Middle Earth.
But we weren't really interested then. Nor were we paying attention when Bombadil talks about the men of the lands around the Barrow Downs, and the vision of one riding on a horse, leading a host of men, wearing a silver star. That, as you remember, is the badge of the Rangers.

When he finally takes the palantir, and uses it he is no different; he is still Aragorn. He shows courage and resolve, and for the first time, clear vision as to his path. Perhaps that's what makes him look more kingly. Now he leads his men into battle, instead of teetering on the brink of misfortune. He is no longer undecisive.

Elessar is really "hope" that once was, his mother's son by name and the hope of the world. I don't think he merely reigned on his throne. Just because it wasn't written of doesn't mean he didn't fare beyond the gates of Minas Tirith. Indeed, if I recall, he made a journey to the North Country.

You really have to take into consideration that his life is told nearly in total in the appendixes, if you know where to look and under what name. In telling a tale of a man's life one must separate it into boyhood, adolescence, teen years, and manhood. Poor Aragorn was already aged when he came to Bree! (But spry.) In reading his life I have come to know Elessar Tel-Contar as a friend, an example of nobility, and as a guide.

Oh dear......I believe I've been ranting! EEEKkkkkkk....*end...rant...!*

Last edited by Beruthiel : 08-28-2002 at 07:43 AM.
Beruthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 09:12 AM   #31
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Beruthiel...wow, you made some great points, on how we change from young years, to teenage, to adult. People say that Strider/Aragorn/Elessar is three people, but aren't we? We are different then we were at 5 when we are 15, but most of us don't change our names.

Back to the thread, I prefer Aragorn, though Strider is more interesting to read about. More angst. I probably like Aragorn best because in Lord of the Rings that is how we know him most of the time.
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 08:16 PM   #32
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

Those are good points, Berthuiel and RosieCotton! Yet sometimes we like a person better at 5 than 15 (or vice versa), because we may not agree with their different personality-swings.

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 11:34 AM   #33
Celebrian
Enting

definitley Strider, he does so much more than King Elessar.

Tall ships and tall kings, three times three.
What brought they form the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:45 PM   #34
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

King Elessar is so much more bold and noble than gloomy ole Strider who hangs around the prancing pony. But Hey! I like Aragorn better than both of them! (And Legolas better than anyone!)
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:51 PM   #35
Farath
Sapling

I prefer Elessar. Seems to me, he's still the same chap he was when known as Strider, but now he's that and more!
Farath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 02:23 PM   #36
madeyejay
Hobbit

I think Aragorn embodies all of him. Aragorn is Stryder & Elessar. He has the nobility and the mystery. He also is versed in the lore of Middle Earth.
madeyejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 03:37 PM   #37
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

hhmm i like all of them. I think I like strider but only because I got usual to him.
thy starlight on the Western Seas.
Elbereth Gilthoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 05:17 PM   #38
Sween
im quite stupid

there is a very clear progression of Arorn throught the book. And on several occasions Strider revels himself as Elessar and Tolkien allways comented. Eg legolas sudendnally noticed how kingly he looked etc.

Rember Strider is a person that has spent some 90 odd years in the wild toiling away towards the defeat of sauron. As the book goes on he does take on a lot more responsiablity as the book goes on. From been second in comand of 9 people he becomes leader of 8 then leader of 40 or so (well his own kin probably a few thousand were under his marshling of helms deep) then a whole nation.

Reading what he did for gondor after the war he sounds like a spot on king as well.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:24 PM   #39
entss89
lord of the ents

i would have to say aragorn because he is one of my faviorite characters and he is so nobil and brave!

give hear..
give hear...
the king has come,
art thy name beith aragorn......

he he i made that up because i thought that aragorn wanted to have a song after him!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 06:34 PM   #40
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Quote:
Yes! I am the Typo Lord!
Origanally posted by Alfro-Elf

So THAT'S where you got your title....

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote