Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-04-2002, 07:33 PM   #21
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Galadriel

Anyone who thought The Lady of the Woods was evil didn't pay very much attention all the things that happened after the freak-out scene (which I thought perfectly captured the essence of the scene Tolkien described in the book.)

Galadriel had more wise comments and caring moments towards Frodo than any of the secondary players in the movie. She was much more kind to Frodo than was Elrond for example.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 09:39 PM   #22
katya
Elven Maiden

yeah...i dont really like the scene that much. the colors look...well beyond unnatural. like, unnatural even for what would have happened. and the voice has to go. freaky...
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 07:45 PM   #23
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I never thought she was evil, I think what is lost is her true power, and perhaps more importantly the general enchantment of Lothlorien. Maybe they can play that up in the next couple movies.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:53 PM   #24
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I think it was WAY overdone - especially that VOICE *winces in pain* It looked like she was an escapee from a German opera when she went all silver, and like she was shaking because she accidentally stuck her finger in a light socket. The book says "tall", "beautiful", "terrible", "worshipful" for that part, and I think PJ just way overdid the "terrible"!!

Oh well, can't please everyone, I suppose - I really liked most of the movie.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 09:05 PM   #25
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

this was the one scene that gets more repulsive each time I see the movie...enough to the point that I don't want to see the movie again if I have to sit through this exorcist-demon-possessed Galadriel that Jackson gives us. And that isn't limited to her temptation by the ring. when they first meet the company, both Celeborn and Galadriel sound like they are part of a seance (sp?)
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 11:28 PM   #26
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I agree with RÃ*an and Crickhollow., although I didn't like most of the movie. JP completely overdid the Galadriel scenes. She even seemed creepy when she first met the Fellowship.

On a side note - I thought that Bilbo's freak out scene was laughable. Most people in the audience laughed during it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:49 AM   #27
Bobthemagiccow
Sapling

I'm rather looking forward to seeing the Extended Version of the film (for those who don't follow it, it'll be out in November), so that Galadriel isn't so evil. As has been observed above, non-readers thought she was evil! She's not evil! The only time she turns interesting is when she is affected by The Ring. The gift-giving scene is in the extended version (it was cut in theaters for the sake of brevity), so we'll get to see nice-guy Galadriel finally.

To reply to Breathalizer's comment, the intensity of the brief evilness completely eclipsed Galadriel's wisdom and kindness in the scene -- and I think Peter Jackson was aware of that, but probably felt helpless to counteract it. He needed a movie less than 3 hours long, or else theaters might not have shown it. Yes, I know, we would have seen it no matter how long it was, but the theater companies are always skeptical.
Bobthemagiccow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:54 AM   #28
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobthemagiccow
...I think Peter Jackson was aware of that, but probably felt helpless to counteract it. He needed a movie less than 3 hours long, or else theaters might not have shown it. Yes, I know, we would have seen it no matter how long it was, but the theater companies are always skeptical.
Well he could have cut some of the extended action scenes down to make the characters and their motivations a little more understandable. PJ included the eye candy and left out the substance as far as the movie is concerned.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:46 PM   #29
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Meh. I agree with Anduril on the voice; not the male voice. True, it did sound evil. It also sounded realllly screwed and messed-up. Like your typical Evil Overlord. (Oh, cool website! Go here It's advice to aspiring Evil Overlords) But otherwise, really cool. Except how she looked afterwards; kinda as if she were coming down off a hobbit-weed high. She looked really old and kinda ugly right after the "radioactive" bit.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:07 PM   #30
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Meh. I agree with Anduril on the voice; not the male voice. True, it did sound evil. It also sounded realllly screwed and messed-up. Like your typical Evil Overlord. (Oh, cool website! Go here It's advice to aspiring Evil Overlords) But otherwise, really cool. Except how she looked afterwards; kinda as if she were coming down off a hobbit-weed high. She looked really old and kinda ugly right after the "radioactive" bit.

[edit] Oops, double post. Discount it.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 03:15 PM   #31
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

never thought about it that way.... wraith Galadriel... weird...
Old 10-21-2002, 03:18 PM   #32
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

Arwen Undomiel

well I guess they wanted it to look like somethin' was controlling her!
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 04:50 AM   #33
englishnerd
Hobbit

I think the reason behind the movie-goers' impression of demoniac-Galadriel is that the 'freak-out' scene and the trance-like welcome and mind-speak are the only impression that viewers get of her...there is no basis of trust established for her. All that a movie-goer would understand is that Gimli thinks she's a witch (movie doesn't show his later devotion to her), she reads minds and souls and is some sort of prophet or seer, and she is tempted by the power of the ring in that mind-searing, horror-like scene. The movie audience isn't shown her goodness before they see her power. PJ missed an important dynamic there, though he did a great job with Gandalf's revealing of his power to Bilbo early on...the audience begins to see that he is more powerful than he looks, but still trusts that he is good.

"Have you ever tried to get up with a sprained dignity?"---Mrs. Who from A Wrinkle in Time

Last edited by englishnerd : 10-23-2002 at 04:54 AM.
englishnerd is offline   Reply With Quote