Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2002, 04:12 PM   #21
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

am i right in saying that tolkien didn't really necessarily want other people to read about ME? if my understanding is correct, he didnt think anyone would want to. He was just kind of inventing another world, right? So it's no ordinary book that takes place in some invented world. it is another world... an alternative universe...
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 05:30 PM   #22
Gildor
Hobbit

Middle Earth

Tolkien said in his letters that he was not creating another world. He was writing about our earth in another time. The Shire was roughly in the vicinity of England. Numenor corresponds to our legends of Atlantis.

Also, he may have wondered whether anyone would be interested in his creation, but he did appreciate it when someone encouraged him by saying how much they enjoyed his works, and he wanted to publish Silmarillion long before he did. (The publishers thought there would not be a market for it.) Tolkien felt he had been directed to tell this story, that the story was already there, and he was discovering it as a sculptor discovers an image in granite and brings it into being. It's an interesting form of inspiration. I think that partially explains why he was so insistent that details be correct.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:12 PM   #23
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

And the fragments we get are pretty good.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:12 AM   #24
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

I, at first, didn't even read the appendices. I thought they looked boring. But after I did read them, I'm glad I did. Also, after reading the Silmarillian, you really get a different perspective when you read Lord of the Rings again. I highly recommend it if you haven't read it yet. I also heard that Tolkien thought that no one would care about the history of M.E. Yet there will always be people like us.
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 05:49 PM   #25
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah, there's nothing like re-reading LOTR after reading UT, Letters, and the Sil. And what made it really, really, special this time around, is that I actually enjoyed reading all the poems and songs, because I knew the background behind them... Plus I finally read the appendices. Now, I'm re-reading Harry Potter, and eagerly (and impatiently) awaiting my orders of Lost Tales Vols I & II that I ordered off amazon...
Old 08-28-2002, 09:42 AM   #26
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

I'm planning on reading Lost Tales 1 & 2 as well...I saw them at the library once, but I didn't have my card with me. Next time I went, someone had taken them out.
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 12:10 PM   #27
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by RosieCotton
Also, after reading the Silmarillion, you really get a different perspective when you read Lord of the Rings again. I highly recommend it if you haven't read it yet.
I agree; for me, rereading LOTR after reading the Silmarillion was almost like reading an entirely new book. So many obscure references suddenly become crystal clear. Definitely a worthwhile experience.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote