Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-04-2004, 01:08 AM   #1
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Favorite Maiar

since there is already a thread about everyone's favorite Vala...who is everyon'e favorite Maia?

Mine are Arien (obviously!) and Sauron (in his form of Annatar)
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 06:05 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

That's easy. Uinen without a doubt. In fact, I like her better than most Valar.

Quote:
...Uinen, the Lady of the Seas, whose hair lies spread through all waters under sky. All creatures she loves that live in the salt streams, and all weeds that grow there; to her mariners cry, for she can lay calm upon the waves, restraining the wildness of Ossë. The Númenóreans lived long in her protection, and held her in reverence equal to the Valar.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:41 AM   #3
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Ossë, Uinen (Ulmo is my favorite Vala ) and Olorin; Olorin is perhaps the absolute favorite.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:26 AM   #4
Aden
Elven Warrior

Olorin, definitely!!!!!!!!!!
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:59 PM   #5
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Olórin for me as well
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:34 PM   #6
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

Huan and Thorondor. Neither were ever stated to be Maiar, I know, but Tolkien never said they weren't either. I think they must have been, myself...
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 09:56 AM   #7
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Oi. I second that, Stern. if Huan was indeed Maiar then he would be #1 on my list. But seeing as there is no proof I'm going to have to stick with the definite Olorin. And then Eonwe, the Herald of Manwe.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:34 AM   #8
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Tom Bombadil... though i guess i might be in for and argument on that one
Old 01-07-2004, 09:55 PM   #9
Elf Girl
Lurker

Were any of Estë's Maiar named?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:45 PM   #10
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Were any of Estë's Maiar named?
Wasn't Melian a Maia of Estë?
Old 01-08-2004, 12:10 AM   #11
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I believe Melian was one of Varda's handmaidens, but she spent a lot of time in Lorien, which was of course Este's garden.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:30 AM   #12
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
I believe Melian was one of Varda's handmaidens, but she spent a lot of time in Lorien, which was of course Este's garden.
Melian served both Vana and Este according to the Silmarillion

Quote:
Melian was the name of a Maia who served both Vana and Este; she dwelt long in Lorien tending the trees that flower in the gardens of Irmo....The Silmarillion, Valaquenta.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:18 AM   #13
Aden
Elven Warrior

I've had this discussion before but there have always been a lot of different opinions: who do you think was the most powerfull Maia (overall)??
Old 01-08-2004, 11:57 AM   #14
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Aden
I've had this discussion before but there have always been a lot of different opinions: who do you think was the most powerfull Maia (overall)??
probably Sauron (because of Morgoth) and perhaps Eonwe?....I don't know, Arien was pretty powerful
Old 01-08-2004, 12:14 PM   #15
Anglorfin
Alasailon

It would have been cool to see a real Maiar battle. I suspect that Eonwe was the most powerful, at least until Sauron came to power as a sorceror under Morgoth. Either way it was never really known who was the most powerful Maiar. Melian was more of a sorceress type so she could be the strongest besides Sauron in that respect. Perhaps Osse, I always thought of him as quite powerful. But I am sure there are other powerful Maiar that were not specifically named. Maybe some of Tulkas' or Orome's followers . . .

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:30 PM   #16
Aden
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
probably Sauron (because of Morgoth) and perhaps Eonwe?....I don't know, Arien was pretty powerful
I think Eonwe was the best in weapon skill. While Olorin is the wisest ( at least one of the wisest). But then again Sauron was very strong and intelligent (in a more wicked way). That's why I cannot decide who was the most powerfull considering all of his powers

Quote:
It would have been cool to see a real Maiar battle
Yes that would answer many of my questions
Old 01-08-2004, 11:26 PM   #17
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
It would have been cool to see a real Maiar battle
technically when Gandalf and the Balrog "battle" that would be considered a fight between 2 Maiar right? Evern though gandalf didn't use all his powers.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:44 PM   #18
Aden
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
technically when Gandalf and the Balrog "battle" that would be considered a fight between 2 Maiar right? Evern though gandalf didn't use all his powers.
Yes, that's true. But then again who was the most powerfull since they both died (if we can use this term for the Maiar, since they don't actually disappear)? Only Gandalf was sent back to fulfil his cause...
Old 01-09-2004, 12:10 AM   #19
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Aden
Yes, that's true. But then again who was the most powerfull since they both died (if we can use this term for the Maiar, since they don't actually disappear)? Only Gandalf was sent back to fulfil his cause...
my vote goes to Gandalf since the Balrog "died" first
Old 01-09-2004, 12:51 AM   #20
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Eonwe is regarded as the most powerful and Sauron is regarded as the mightiest, at least from what I've read

Therefore it would be Sauron...

I agree with Arien that Eonwe was the most powerful, but in the sense of fighting.

That is where the might of Sauron comes in, he is the mightiest at it all, in the bigger picture of things...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote